Boy, 3, dies after school building fall

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Boy, 3, dies after school building fall

Post by PeteC »

The only reason I post this story is because of what I have placed in bold and underlined below. If the reporting and use of English translation from Thai is correct, the law has been broken in a profound way. If an emergency situation the receiving hospital must admit and treat the patient. If a person can't pay the bill, the receiving hospital must at minimum stabilize the patient before moving them on to a government hospital. This boy was in critical condition and treating him fully and completely at the first receiving hospital could probably have at minimum prolonged his life. No, just clean him up, wrap him up and ship him to where the poor people go.

As I say, the journalism could be deficient and we're not getting the full details. However, I've read things similar to this many times in the past.

Breaking News June 23, 2018 14:36 By The Nation
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30348452

A three-year-old boy was fatally injured when he fell from the third floor of a school building, where he and a babysitter were waiting for his elder brother on Friday evening.

Police said Thanakorn Chanphum died later at Rayong provincial hospital following the accident at a school in Tambon Tha Pradu in Rayong’s Muang district.

The babysitter took her eyes off the boy when she saw he was playing with three friends in the school compound. But then she heard a cry from the third floor and looked up to see the boy falling down. He landed on the second-floor balcony before falling to the ground.

The boy suffered severe head injuries and was rushed to the Bangkok Hospital Rayong before being forwarded to the provincial hospital where he later died.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Boy, 3, dies after school building fall

Post by Takiap »

How absolutely sad. Sadly, I tend to believe the story/translation. Out of principle, I would never voluntarily use the establishment mentioned in the article, although I'm sure there are many other such places.

Whatever happened to the days when doctors swore under oath to do everything they possibly can in order to save a life?
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was blinded by all of the hype regarding that establishment in the early days. I should have realised what it was like from the outset when my wife fell ill whilst visiting family here, and I told the family which hospital she should be taken to. Initially, they tried to reject her because she was Thai. I was then woken up in the middle of the night - she needed expensive tests, and they phoned to see if I would pay for them.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They used to be damn good places before the new ownership and expansions. Great doctors and very reasonably priced for the expat. We don't generate enough income now I guess as we're not "medical tourists". :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was talking 2010 or 2011 when they didn't want to admit my wife.

Points 41; Position 18
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Hand on heart, I can only say that this hospital here in HH has been great for myself and my 5 year old boy.

We have both had surgery, the experience and treatment has been great. I don’t have insurance and didn’t feel ripped off in anyway.

My wife was a nurse aid in bkk many moons ago. She told me that even in a minor hospital, the first question was always ‘how can you pay’?

I wonder how it works in places like the United States for those who can’t afford insurance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The point is though, it is now illegal to take that attitude with emergency admissions. All hospitals have a duty to stabilise the patient, regardless of financial status before shipping them out to a more appropriate establishment.

I too have had surgery at the hospital you refer to - twice. I must admit I was put off a bit having to pay before the op, just in case something went seriously wrong. The surgery was brilliant, but the aftercare...................... I won't go into detail on a public forum.

Points 41; Position 18
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I agree B.B., it is completely inhuman to turn somebody away like that.

Problem here being that the law can be bent by those in positions of influence. Guess it’s the same story of third world, class divide and corruption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Do we know the full facts here? My other half's father went to a private hospital in KK a month or so back with a serious lung infection and was then upon diagnosis, sent to the main city public hospital for admission to intensive care, as he couldn't breath through his own means and it was decided it was the best place for him. We went up there and it all seemed very impressive. Okay, it was also very Thai, but to my amazement he puled through and is now in a nursing home.

About 4 years ago, an aussie bar owner in Korat (Steve RIP) suffered a stroke. After he received initial treatment in Korat, he was transferred to the same Khon Kaen hospital mentioned above. But sadly he didn't pull through.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, we only know what the press tell us. However, I know 100% what happened in my wife's case - they didn't want her because they didn't think she could pay. Of course that was before the rules saying hospitals had to stabilise before shipping them on.

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Some food for thought............

A guy I know personally noticed some blood in his urine a few years back (about 5) and went to Petcherat Hospital to get checked out. The doctor discovered he had a tumor in his bladder and suggest taking a sample for resting. The guy in question then asked the doctor to just go ahead and remove the tumor, and then test it for cancer. The initial visit and diagnosis cost 4,000 and odd baht, while the removal of the tumor cost 16,000 and odd baht. The tumor was indeed cancerous but it seems the doctor got all of it out. He goes for a check up every 3 months but so far so good.

Now, about 2 months ago an Austrian mate of mine encountered the same problem, blood in his urine. His first port of call was Saint Paulo where he was told they would need to use computer tomography. His bill came to just over 21,000 and he was told he had a kidney stone. They also told him they could not remove it and that he would have to go to a different hospital.

His next port of call was BH, where he was then told they would need a camera sent up through his pecker. Long story short, this incredibly painful procedure cost just over 20,000 baht, after which he was told there's a tumor which should be removed. The operation to remove the tumor cost just over 80,000.

So, here were two guys with the exact same problem. One went to Petcherat Hospital and forked out a total of around 20,000. The other chose to go elsewhere, and forked out more than 120,000 baht.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact