Thai officials believe 12 boys missing in cave are alive

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Thai officials believe 12 boys missing in cave are alive

Post by Big Boy »

So it was the English that found them:

Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:06 am So it was the English that found them:
They work in rotating teams. One can only spend so much time underwater before needing to spend time on the surface.

They just got lucky it was there turn to be the team at that point in time.
Last edited by PeteC on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Delete duplicate YouTube clip
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

They are found. Praise be, what a heart - sickening week its been.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Interesting to see that the video has over 14 Million views up until now!

At the risk of offending some of our sensitive non technical readers, it looks to me that a more viable method of getting them out would be to drill down from the top. But that of course would depend on both access to a position above where they are, and an accurate position plot of exactly where they are. I have not seen any mention of how safe the area is where they are, but I fail to see how it would be possible to pump any water out, and if the water level rises with more rain, there may not be time or space to leave them where they are.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree, drill from the top if it's possible, or from any angle if that's more feasible. We've seen it work with trapped miners, so hopefully it can work here.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The big difference with the most known trapped miners in Chile was that there was no flooding. I guess that there has been others as well.

A couple of big bull dozers could very soon push a road and level a pad for a drilling rig. But it would need a rig bigger than what we have seen them using up until know. Many years since I was involved in the drilling industry, but at that time big rigs used for oil exploration had to be bought in from overseas.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Aren't they around a km below the mountain surface? That's a long way to drill. It's also reported that in order to do that, roads would have to be built to accommodate the equipment.

I read in the latest news that the ground they're on is safe from any future flooding and that they're probably going to survive where they are for at least another month and possibly up to 4 months!!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

My wife told me the news said they would train each person to use SCUBA and bring them out one at a time with safety divers.

Simplest way it seems to me. Drilling the overhead in a small place like they're in could have bad repercussions.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

With the right equipment 1,000 metres is not a challenge.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, is there not some sort of 'individual' rescue capsule the boys could be placed into, and taken out by skilled divers one at a time? Or have I been watching too much Thunderbirds. If the divers have the capacity to take supplies in, there must be something they could put a kiddie into. They walked in, so I assume space isn't a problem.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I understood that bodies had to be contorted to get through some of the passageways. Sounds simple but I think it's a lot more difficult than we can imagine, BB.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:55 am OK, is there not some sort of 'individual' rescue capsule the boys could be placed into, and taken out by skilled divers one at a time? Or have I been watching too much Thunderbirds. If the divers have the capacity to take supplies in, there must be something they could put a kiddie into. They walked in, so I assume space isn't a problem.
Problem with the capsule is buoyancy from the air inside it. You watch to much Thunderbirds :D
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Is there a risk of the air getting stale where the boys are at? I know little about the geological structure of caves but would have thought there would be a finite supply of O2.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Not sure that I would refer to them as "kiddies". It was posted previously that the rescue divers had to open up a part where they could not pass wearing scuba tanks. The victims would have probably crawled past that spot before it became flooded.

Not a diver, so I have no experience. But I have qualified regularly in my working life with HUET(under water escape training), and I have seen grown men that could swim, go completely haywire when dumped underwater. Cannot see how it could not very quickly turn into a fatality despite any amount of training before hand.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/boys-trapped- ... 54016.html
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Ginjaninja wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:02 pm Is there a risk of the air getting stale where the boys are at? I know little about the geological structure of caves but would have thought there would be a finite supply of O2.
If the water is flowing, oxygen is in it. If its stagnent, then that could be a problem.