Thai officials believe 12 boys missing in cave are alive

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai officials believe 12 boys missing in cave are alive

Post by RCer »

MDMK wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:19 pm Can anyone explain what the Thai thinking could be behind the reluctance to admit the boys were sedated for the trip out? I really don't get it. If one or more had died then I would understand the reluctance somewhat... but heck they are all out and doing so much better than anyone could have hoped for. So why the outright denial of sedation in the beginning and now finally an admission of mild sedation. When anyone with eyes can see it was something more than a single diazepam.

I am not knocking it...proof of the pudding is in the eating. All out. All alive and well. I just dont get why the Thai authorities are playing it down to such an extent.
I can speak from experience a sedated/semi-conscious person or even unconscious person is much easier to rescue. They don't struggle. Swimming and breathing underwater is not a natural thing. Unfortunately we/I were not qualified to administer any type of sedation.

Problem comes in when you to land.

In this case, they had plenty of people waiting to take over when land was reached.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Some good advice here:
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Beware of fraudsters, Chilean miners tell Thai boys

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

SANTIAGO, Chile: Guard against exploitation: that's the message Chilean miners have offered the 12 Thai boys and their football coach following the harrowing ordeal of spending 18 days trapped in a cave.

Before even the clothes of the Wild Boar football team players had dried following the last dramatic escape mission on Tuesday from the flooded cave, already plans were being made to turn their heroic tale into a Hollywood movie.

Eight years ago, 33 Chilean miners were stuck underground for 69 days after a cave-in, before their torment was turned into a motion picture starring Antonio Banderas.
But although The 33 grossed $25 million at the box office, the miners never saw a penny of that.

"Hopefully they'll make a film, a television series, a best-selling novel, but that they do it well, that they are smart and don't get taken for a ride by fraudsters," Mario Sepulveda, who was played by Banderas in The 33, told AFP.

The boys are aged 11 to 16 and even their coach is only 25, whereas the Chilean miners were all grown men.
Many of them have suffered terribly since their traumatic experience in the San Jose mine in the Atacama desert.

"The most important thing is that the authorities and their families protect these kids because many people just want to take advantage," said Luis Urzua, another miner.

On Tuesday night, the managing partner of US faith-based production house Pure Flix, Michael Scott revealed on Twitter his plans to turn the story into a film.

But before worrying about how to sell their stories, Mr Urzua warns that recovering from the "the experience of a lifetime" won't be easy.
"It's been eight years but there are still many things we can't overcome," added Mr Urzua.

Another miner, Jose Ojeda, had to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital.

And there is bitterness at having been exploited by lawyers, producers and others who wanted to benefit from their story.
"Once they'd got the information off us, they disappeared," said Mr Urzua.
He says they were badly advised and fell for promises they would be made millionaires so "ceded all [intellectual] rights for life."

Mr Urzua is amongst a group of miners who want to rescind that decision.
Despite spending more than two months 600 meters below the surface, "we can't even sell one line of the 33," he lamented.

Mr Urzua says the miners never received a penny from the film, directed by Mexican Patricia Riggen, or the book written by Los Angeles Times journalist Hector Tobar, whom the Chileans picked to write the official account of their trauma.

"They destroyed us," said Mr Urzua, who praised the protective circle that has enveloped the Thai boys.
Mr Urzua says all he got was "less" than the five million pesos (less than $8,000 or 267,000 baht in today's exchange rate) that Chilean businessman Leonardo Farkas handed each miner as they left their captivity.

Mr Sepulveda, though, has faith in the Thai footballers saying the "strength of these boys is different to ours."
"If they keep training, they'll handle it really well, as long as they stick together," he told AFP.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

The Thai holiday from media bias

Post by JWWhite »

The rescue of 12 Thai boys and their soccer coach from a terrifying cave entrapment was a wonderfully compelling story, particularly because it had a happy ending, and a happy ending against all odds. We know there will be disputes over film rights, submarines, or compensation or something, as similar things happened with the global rescue of the Chilean miners in 2010.

But for a brief few days, it was marvelous and compelling to watch and learn how a complicated, never before achieved cave rescue of 13 innocents unfolded, man against nature, vast teams working together, the Thai officials on camera coming off as serious and determined and competent, and the SEALs, British, American and Thai, looking downright cinematically tough, and taking on danger like knights. Amazing story, and uplifting, too
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... _bias.html
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
PeteC

Re: The Thai holiday from media bias

Post by PeteC »

I like that article and her thinking. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

FIFA Invites rescued Thai boys to London awards event

Post by JWWhite »

MOSCOW — The boys football team rescued from a flooded cave this week has been invited to FIFA’s annual awards event.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino says they will be invited to come to London, where the world’s best player prize will be presented on Sept. 24.

The 12 boys and their coach were asked to attend the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday. They were unable to accept for medical reasons, after being rescued between Sunday and Tuesday to end a two-week ordeal.

Infantino says FIFA will look at involving the team in another football event, possibly in Thailand
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/inte ... rds-event/
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It will be interesting to see what happens as I think (3 boys) Edit.. 2 boys and the coach are stateless, and cannot get a Thai passport, or a passport from anywhere unless some country wants to give them citizenship or a diplomatic pass. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think it's already been said somewhere that a lawyer has been appointed for them and they should get Thai status within a few months.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:00 pm I think it's already been said somewhere that a lawyer has been appointed for them and they should get Thai status within a few months.
.....and a General said today .."Only if it's within the law...." No slack from that guy it appears. Not to worry, Thaksin can get them a passport from somewhere. :P
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Not that I like Thaksin, but that would be brilliant PR and definitely put someone's nose out of joint.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 pm
HHTel wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:00 pm I think it's already been said somewhere that a lawyer has been appointed for them and they should get Thai status within a few months.
.....and a General said today .."Only if it's within the law...." No slack from that guy it appears. Not to worry, Thaksin can get them a passport from somewhere. :P
Sorry, but I can understand the worry about opening the floodgates on a problem which I know is (partly) of their own making. Naturally porous borders mean a huge amount of stateless people floating around.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I hope they have better luck than the last guy they promised citizenship to along with scholarship when he was the darling one. Still waiting, OK, gave up, after about 9 years. :roll:
https://www.pressreader.com/thailand/ba ... 0571981228
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Below to be run on CNN this week.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/83Ei2VTrjvw
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve just read this report about getting the boys out - absolutely amazing!!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... avery.html
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:38 pm I’ve just read this report about getting the boys out - absolutely amazing!!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... avery.html
wow. just wow
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

All good news and good for Thai but of course, wait for it, the Thais will f*** it all up.