49 missing as boat overturns in seas off Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: 49 missing as boat overturns in seas off Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

I think it would be unusual for a vessel of the design in the photo to be using the padded/stuffed type of life jacket. The slightly larger vessels I've travelled on in Thailand have had the under the seat, inflatable type.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The following sure looks like a padded life jacket to me. The red ones the crew are wearing are inflatable.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... y#cxrecs_s
2836858.jpg
2836858.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 676 times

edit: and here's some more. inflatable jackets do not have padding around the back area.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/thailan ... apse-rises
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I didn't say they weren't all wearing padded jackets, I'm saying it's unusual. Has anybody else been on such a vessel, where they insist on padded jackets below deck?

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:36 am I didn't say they weren't all wearing padded jackets, I'm saying it's unusual. Has anybody else been on such a vessel, where they insist on padded jackets below deck?
Come on Big Boy! Where does it say the boat crew insisted on the passengers wearing life jackets below decks?
They had a boat load of Chinese, who for a start probably do not speak Thai, but in any case are well known for doing what they please!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Why else would they be wearing them unless there was another problem? I suppose they may have seen them as fashion accessories.

Points 41; Position 18
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

This story seems to have been buried in the news sites sadly....whilst the saving of 13 negligent Thais who wandered into caves that should have been off limits at this time of year is way more important. Channel 3 stuff....40+ Chinese died due to Thai stupidity and it's not so important. They even say that the cave site will be turned into a tourist attraction after all this...I could go on, but it would in bad taste and probably end up being moderated.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Chinese victims' kin demand justice as boat captain charged

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... nd-justice

PHUKET: The family of a Chinese woman and her two children who were among the victims of a tourist boat disaster off Phuket are demanding "justice”, saying the tragedy was caused by human error and could have been avoided.

Their call came as police pressed charges on Saturday against the captains of two ill-fated tour boats that sank off the coast of the resort province, as the death toll from one of the sinkings reached 41. Fifteen people are still missing.

Chen Wei, a businesswoman from Chongqing, said videos and messages sent by her sister Chen De Qiong to the family's WeChat group just before the boat capsized on Thursday showed strong waves and passengers not wearing life vests.
The sister, Chen De Qiong, a 47-year-old doctor, arrived in Phuket on July 1 for a long-planned vacation with her 12-year-old son and 21-year-old daughter, Chen Wei said.

The body of the daughter, Xing Yu Jie, was recovered on Friday. Chen Wei and her brother-in-law Xing Yong arrived in Phuket on Saturday afternoon after an overnight flight from Chongqing, and later identified the body of Chen De Qiong, which had been retrieved earlier in the day at a Phuket hospital. The son, Xing Hao Ran, was among the missing.

The tour boat Phoenix, carrying 105 people, capsized and sank on Thursday evening in a violent storm. Boats had been warned earlier in the day to stay ashore. Forty-one bodies had been recovered as of Saturday night, with 15 people still missing.

“I can hear the voice of my daughter screaming," Xing Yong said while transiting at Kuala Lumpur airport, as he showed the video to an Associated Press reporter. "You can see that nobody wore life jackets."

The short video clip, taken in a section of the boat's cabin, shows the boat tilting, with rough waves seen through the windows. A passenger tumbles down the aisle as belongings fall on the cabin floor, and a voice is heard shouting.
“It's shaking violently, and I'm feeling very dizzy," Chen De Qiong wrote to her family. "I want to go ashore immediately," she said in another message, saying her son was feeling ill.

Chen Wei said the boat company ignored warnings of bad weather and failed to take adequate measures to ensure passenger safety. She said the video showed that glass windows in the boat cabin were sealed but they should have had latches so that they can be opened to allow passengers to swim out in an emergency.
Despite rough waves, the boat didn't stop and kept sailing, Chen said.

"Three out of a family with four members gone. How would you feel about it? Which family can bear such a blow?" she said.
"There are loopholes everywhere that caused this tragedy. ... I just want to seek justice for my family. This is not a natural disaster. This tragedy is man-made and could have been avoided.”

She said the vacation was planned as a celebration for her niece, who had just graduated from university, and her nephew, who is about to enter high school.
"A beautiful family gone like that, just like in a dream," a distraught Chen said.
"When my niece was found yesterday, she had no life signs. Her passport helped identify her body," she said. "Our biggest hope is to find my sister and nephew."

Chen Wei had spoken to the AP on the plane. Upon arrival in Phuket, the family was ushered to the hospital, where Xing Yong identified the body of his wife through photographs.

Somjing Boontham, 50, the captain of the Phoenix, has been charged with reckless conduct causing deaths and injuries, and reckless conduct causing physical and mental harm to others, said Pol Capt Somkiart Sarnsit, an investigation officer at the Chalong police station.

Metha Limsakul, 58, captain of the Serenata, has been charged with reckless conduct causing physical and mental harm to others. His boat, carrying 39 passengers and two crew, capsized on Thursday but all aboard were rescued.
The two captains reported to police on Saturday to acknowledge the charges. The pair denied all charges and were later released, Thai media reported.

A committee has been set up to investigate the incidents and take action against those responsible. So far, police have questioned more than 50 witnesses.

Witnesses said the Meteorological Deartment had warned all boats against leaving shore on Thursday due to strong winds. However, the two boats defied the warning.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A lot of emotional statements being thrown about now which is understandable. What it may come down to is can you prosecute someone based upon a weather prediction if everything else concerning vessel capacity and safety was done correctly? Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Spitfire wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 pm This story seems to have been buried in the news sites sadly....whilst the saving of 13 negligent Thais who wandered into caves that should have been off limits at this time of year is way more important. Channel 3 stuff....40+ Chinese died due to Thai stupidity and it's not so important. They even say that the cave site will be turned into a tourist attraction after all this...I could go on, but it would in bad taste and probably end up being moderated.
I agree with you 100%, but I have not shared my feelings publicly because as you say, it would be in bad taste. However, I will say that it amazes me how quickly all blame has be placed on the captain, while I have not read a single word about the football coach being blamed for anything.

In my mind, when the cave rescue is all over, the coach should have to face the music for putting all those lives at risk.

Anyway, :offtopic:

As far as the life vests are concerned...................even the padded type jackets like the one in the photo, will severely impeded any attempt to escape from inside a sunken vessel.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Chen Wei, a businesswoman from Chongqing, said videos and messages sent by her sister Chen De Qiong to the family's WeChat group just before the boat capsized on Thursday showed strong waves and passengers not wearing life vests.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... nd-justice
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

As far as the life vests are concerned...................even the padded type jackets like the one in the photo, will severely impeded any attempt to escape from inside a sunken vessel.
Strangely enough, every offshore training course that I have been through, and there have been many, not once has an inflatable lifejacket been used. Without exception, the padded type are used in training.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Lets try to keep the cave and ship sinking separate please. One post each by HHTel and Nereus moved over to the Cave Rescue thread. :thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Body found as search for missing tourists continues in Phuket

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

Rescuers are combing beaches and islands in the search for 14 people, most of them Chinese tourists, still missing after their boat sunk off the Phuket coast on Thursday.

Somnuek Prempramote, the Third Region Navy commander, said on Sunday the operation to locate the missing persons, most of them Chinese tourists, is being simultaneously conducted on land and at sea. The search areas are between Koh Yao and Koh Phi Phi in the Andaman Sea, he added.

"Security authorities will check all beaches and islands," VAdm Somnuek said.
The covered areas are in Phuket, Phangnga and Krabi.

The victims were among the 105 passengers and crew members on board the Phoenix dive boat that capsized in rough seas and a violent storm off Phuket on Thursday. So far, 49 people have been rescued while 42 bodies have been recovered.

The Marine Department will try to salvage the sunken boat, VAdm Somnuek added.
Phuket governor Norapat Plodthong said the latest body was found inside the wreckage of Phoenix and retrieved by divers.

Divers from China on Sunday joined the search for the missing, including conducting deep-sea diving, after receiving the green light from Thailand, the China Daily reported.

Chinese ambassador to Thailand Lyo Jian told a press briefing in Phuket that the search mission will not end until every missing person is found. He reiterated China's commitment to cooperation with Thailand on the operation.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will visit Phuket on Monday to follow up on the search operation before flying to Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai.

Tourists from China top foreign visitors to Thailand. Last year 9.8 million tourists from China came to the kingdom and they are on course to break the 10-million mark this year.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The boats are owned and piloted buy a Chinese company operating under a Thai company. The company didn't want to go out but the Chinese tourists insisted, saying that they paid for the trip and if they couldn't go out then they wanted their money back. Via my wife watching a Thai news report. I'd like to be the lawyer in that lawsuit.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Nereus wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:36 am
Strangely enough, every offshore training course that I have been through, and there have been many, not once has an inflatable lifejacket been used. Without exception, the padded type are used in training.
Hahaha, when was the last time you did an offshore survival course, the type which involves, among other things, being strapped to a seat in a simulated helicopter which is then submerged so that you can perform an underwater escape?

I did the course every two years for about 15 years of my life, and not once were padded jackets used in the simulated helicopter escape, only inflatable jackets.

You have to escape three times. For the first escape, the chopper remains upright as it sinks; for the 2nd escape, it sinks and then flips over onto its side, and for the 3rd escape, it sinks, flips 180 degrees and then swings about for a while before you escape.

For all three escapes, you have to wait until the chopper has stopped moving completely before releasing your seat belt harness and escaping through a window or door. Once you are out, you pull the toggle that inflates your life jacket and you fly to the surface.

The above routine change somewhat towards the end of my offshore years to incorporate the use of the re-breather which allowed you to take a few extra breaths after being submerged.

Trust me mate, in the North Sea, as well as in the Norwegian, Danish, and Dutch sectors, you would never be allowed to wear the padded jackets for the underwater escape drills. Health and safety rules supreme.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact