All UK expats in Thailand urged to get private health insurance

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

All UK expats in Thailand urged to get private health insurance

Post by buksida »

The British Embassy in Thailand is urging all UK expats living in the Southeast Asian country to make certain they have private health insurance.

Resident expats are being told to make certain they have private health insurance, and tourists are being urged to get full-cover travel insurance before they arrive in Thailand. The warning was issued due to an increase in the numbers of uninsured UK citizens the embassy was forced to help after accidents or medical problems necessitated a stay in a pricey Thai private hospital.

According to the embassy, around a million British tourists arrive in Thailand every year, with some 55,000 expatriates scattered around popular destinations such as Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, Pattaya and Phuket.

Source: https://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/2018082 ... -insurance
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Re: All UK expats in Thailand urged to get private health insurance

Post by MDMK »

scary stuff. These numbers shocked me. Half of tourists and 4 out of 5 over 50s not insured. Very scary.

"Further figures comprised last year state 50 per cent of tourists who received consular assistance weren’t insured, and 80 per cent of Britons in Thailand over 51 years of age, also had no medical insurance. "
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I don't know whether anyone has had to apply for an income letter from The British Embassy lately.
I had to do and the tick boxes at the bottom under a survey about "do you have insurance or not" was there.
At the same time, Thai visa.com published a thread that just doesn't stop.
Personally, I simply didn't answer the question and I most certainly didn't tick the box about whether I wanted to receive any information from the embassy's "friends".
Don't read too much into the above.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

No one could argue with the need for health insurance. A problem arises however when a pre existing condition flares up and is not covered by ones insurance leaving a potentially large bill.

Incidentally my Thai partner was required to buy health insurance in order to get a visa to visit the U.K. this year. (£125)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

That question on the 'income letter' is as dumb as they come. 'Do you have insurance or not'? Car, bike, house, health - anything else?
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 pm That question on the 'income letter' is as dumb as they come. 'Do you have insurance or not'? Car, bike, house, health - anything else?
Condoms? :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

You are crazy if you don't have substantial health insurance.
'self funding' is a myth.
Don't go begging on social media when you get your 3 million baht surgery bill