non drinker

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Cowtown Comedy
Professional
Professional

Post by Cowtown Comedy »

Interesting thread..A few months ago I decided to get on the wagon and put a cork in the sauce for awhile. Having a drinking venue myself, it was far too convenient to crack a bottle, and charge it to general fixed costs. I must admit for the first 2-3 weeks I was bored crazy, and soda water with a twist wasnt doing the trick. The mood swings after I stopped rinking, drove me crazy, almost to the point of cracking another bottle just so I wasn't so pissy. Sleep was also a battle; many restless nights. Now, three months later i definately feel better, and I can actually have 1or 2 drinks over a long period of time, something I could never imagine before. Its nice sitting in a pub now and remembering the conversations I had with people. Again, something I wasn't able to do before..." I said what...to who?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:Are you sure that’s Elvis, because I’ve seen him performing in a bar in Bangkok and he looked a lot more Thai than that!
I've seen him at LaMer performing Puff the Magic Dragon :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

CC

I echo that
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

i too dont really drink ,when i do go out at night its very strange with your mates ,the jokes they come out with must be in code ,because when your drunk im sure you start to speak klingon
norm
Professional
Professional

Post by norm »

hhfarang wrote:
I have neverdriven on the wrong side of the street. lol
Aha! Another North American! Welcome, we need more presence here! :D

Learning to drive on the "wrong" side isn't too bad but after over four years I still get mixed up with the damned turn signal and windshield wipers being on opposite sides of the steering wheel! :oops: :shock: :shock: :D
HH I've been driving on the wrong side for 20 years and still get the wipers and lights mixed up. Now my problem is driving on the right I have to remember where I am or turn onto the wrong side.

When I first rented a left hand drive in Sydney I was OK until I had to make a turn and then I usually screwed up. Had to drive over a couple of road dividers in the learning process.

Best to learn how in a rented car with good insurance.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Had to drive over a couple of road dividers in the learning process.
Been there, done that! :D

Once in a while I still walk to the wrong side of the car. When I do and people are watching I just open the passenger door and dig through the glove box for a moment like I'm looking for something, then go round to the correct side! :lach:
norm
Professional
Professional

Post by norm »

hhfarang wrote:
Had to drive over a couple of road dividers in the learning process.
Been there, done that! :D

Once in a while I still walk to the wrong side of the car. When I do and people are watching I just open the passenger door and dig through the glove box for a moment like I'm looking for something, then go round to the correct side! :lach:
I still do that once in a while. When I do I open the door and hold it for my wife. She isn't fooled but most onlookers are (I think). :P :P
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

The driving thing is interesting - in terms of the side of the road, no problem for me as I'm a Brit, but for some reason the cars here are different as regards the indicators and wipers, so when I go back to Blighty I am forever indicating when I want to wipe, and wiping when I want to indicate, and then when I return to Thailand the same thing!! :shock:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

norm wrote:................... I still get mixed up with the damned turn signal and windshield wipers being on opposite sides of the steering wheel.................
That's nothing to do with driving on the right or the left but related to the nationality of the manufacturer.

In Britain all cars have the stalks (and I can't remember which way round it is) on the same side as all European makes. It is the Japanese cars that were different. The is also a cost on manufacture issue. It is cheaper to make all European cars as similar as possible.

I don't remember ever having problems in the US but I always washed the windscreen in the UK when hiring a Japanese car at Heathrow.

So to summarize, European cars (inc. UK), the US and the rest of the Americas have the indicators on the same side and the Japanese influenced countries (inc. Thailand) have the indicators on the other side.

I don't have a clue about Australia?
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Guess wrote:
norm wrote:................... I still get mixed up with the damned turn signal and windshield wipers being on opposite sides of the steering wheel.................
That's nothing to do with driving on the right or the left but related to the nationality of the manufacturer.

In Britain all cars have the stalks (and I can't remember which way round it is) on the same side as all European makes. It is the Japanese cars that were different. The is also a cost on manufacture issue. It is cheaper to make all European cars as similar as possible.

I don't remember ever having problems in the US but I always washed the windscreen in the UK when hiring a Japanese car at Heathrow.

So to summarize, European cars (inc. UK), the US and the rest of the Americas have the indicators on the same side and the Japanese influenced countries (inc. Thailand) have the indicators on the other side.

I don't have a clue about Australia?
It`s the same as the UK, Guess. I have two cars here, one UK and one Jap. The UK car is also automatic transmission, the Jap manual. I can go from auto to manual and vice versa without thinking about it, but EVERTIME I change from one to the other I will wipe the windscreen, or try and indicate with the wipers.
Maybe that's why most Thai drivers do not use the indicators! :idea:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Maybe that's why most Thai drivers do not use the indicators!
So does that mean that when their wipers are on they're turning... left... no, right... no, left... no, right... no, left... arggggggh! :D
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The strange thing about the indicator situation is that I’m back and forth between Europe and Thailand and I manage to get it wrong at both ends.
Certainly the vehicles we have here in Luxembourg, which are either Peugeot or Mercedes have the indicator on the left and my Toyota in Thailand has it on the right.
The fact that I can remember that sat in front of the computer is no help at all when I’m driving!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I went over to Spain last year for a weeks break with some pals from the UK.
We hired a car from the airport and was told I would be driving. Not a problem I thought its been awhile since iv'e driven on the continent but hey ho.
To this very day I can still hear the screams of sheer terror as I turned onto the carriageway slip road into the on-coming traffic... :shock:
www.35mmview.com
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So, what was the problem? Have your friends never seen the way they drive in Thailand?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
housedoctor

Post by housedoctor »

:cheers: There are many good reasons for drinking,
and one has just entered my head.
If a fella cant drink when he's livin
How the feck can he drink when he's dead. :cheers:
With almost zero tolerance in Ireland now for drinking & driving, going to the local for a few pints is now a thing of the past. However in making up for that, coming back to LOS is now more to look forward to than ever. But in relation to some previous posts, has anyone noticed how much faster the car go's when you're full of rubber as opposed to when you're sober. Strange is'nt it. :cheers: