Nightlife in Cha-am?

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
timego
Amateur
Amateur

Post by timego »

I read somewhere about the salary and fines that bargirls get and have to pay like 50 baht each a day to the police and 200 baht if missing a day etc. Might have been thaivisa or mangosauce.

Say a bar has 10 bargirls, that would mean the owner have to pay 3,500 baht a week to the 'police'(thailands mafia) or I guess they might get a discount if they had a lot of whores paying and did a deal with the brown boys. I've had the wife of a police captain ask me to grass on bars that stay open past closing(i guess so they can get me money from them). Maybe that was why they changed back the closing time so early in recent years.
It's sad bargirls have to shag old foreigners if they can get one and pay off a good bit of their salary to the brown boys. Not saying the brown boys are like pimps. Ok they like the bling bling like the poor blacks but nothing wrong with that, i guess. I have a good gay friend who like the poor blacks wears rings on the fingers too and a 14 year old nephew because of the puberty thing.
But queers are good fun.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

timego,
I saw the article you refer to a while ago and it was based around BKK. I do not recall it mentioning anything about police activity in bars anyway.
Some of your comments do not belong in this section and others are just beyond me.
Please keep it sensible, or post in the relevant forum.
sara
Novice
Novice

cha-am night life

Post by sara »

Typical men... so here is a female review on cha-am. Cha-am is such a small town that is increasingly changing for the western market. The beach is clean and the sea, due to being on that part of the gulf and the cooling winds only looks dirty due to the sand. In the day there is so much to do and many places to explore, if you are not in the mood for sitting on the beach, hire a car or moped.

having read the other reviews there seems to be 2 types of people who go to Cha-am. there are the plonkers looking for a 'girlfriend' that they have had to pay for. then you have the people who are there because they want to experience Thailand with out the endless bars with girls falling out on to the streets, ( if you want that please go to Hua hin and leave Cha-am to people who just want to have a relaxing holiday.) the touts and child rose sellers/ beggars. Hua hin is ok for the night market and although there are many crap bars, there are also some that offer a good venue for a night out where you would feel comfortable bringing your sister!

As for Cha-am, the girlie bars the others have wrote about, are only there if you look for them. If that type of bar is not to you liking then there is always Crawfords irish bar.( and they do not have any 'working girls' so hopefully the afore mentioned plonkers will also not be there. ) We have had many fantastic nights out there and the food is the best in town. Owned by an Irish couple they have upped the anti for standards in Cha-am. the staff are friendly, the guinness outstanding (so I was told) and they have loads of wine so i was happy.

Ok i have only mentioned one bar but it is the best one in town, they also gave us a lift home at the end of the night. I hope the gentleman that moved to cha-am has found Crawfords and i am sure he also by now has found the gogo bar, but you can not live on go go girls :roll:

Don't be put off by the others comments, each to their own.... but cha-am is worth a visit.
appleman_thai
Amateur
Amateur

Crawfords

Post by appleman_thai »

Sara,
Yes I found Crawfords!!! and I am Irish too so its already like a home from home. John is a sound bloke...... and he likes the odd drink so you can be sure that the Kilkenny, Guinness and John Smith are flowing smoothly!

I tried to find that "Dance Club" aka GoGo bar but it was closed. Apparantly it didnt last long at all.... 1-0 to Cha-am!

Cha-am is a lovely little town - in fact I am still amazed that it is still lumped in there with Hua Hin.... even though they are just 20km apart the difference between them is immense!

Cha-am is much more relaxed, laid back and definitely more THai focused!

I hope that it holds on to its charms.
www.geroreilly.com
Former Expat in Cha-am - now back in Ireland!
dude
Novice
Novice

Post by dude »

Being new to this part of the world, how far away is Cha Am from Hua Hin and is Cha Am a droll as you all are making out surely it cant be all that bad
can it ? there must be something going on there
if thas gonna do it do it reet
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dude,

There is a clue in the previous posting:
Cha-am is a lovely little town - in fact I am still amazed that it is still lumped in there with Hua Hin.... even though they are just 20km apart the difference between them is immense!
My personal view of Cha-am is that its made up of public toilets, showers, bike rental stalls and souvenier shops. I think if my first visit to Thailand had been to Cha-am, I wouldn't have returned a second time.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Bit harsh there BB but I know what you mean. If my first trip to england was to PLymouth I would want to come back every year and see more. If my first trip was to Blackpool it would also be my last. Cha Am and Hua HIn are different and BTW, there is a movement to put then into one province with City jurastriction like Pattaya and Jomtiem.

Cha Am ia not my cup of tea but is always has catered for a different clientelle. More geared for the the Thai low budget weekend. When my in laws first came to visit us after moving here they wanted to go to Cha Am not Hua HIn.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I think all agree Cha Am is quieter, so it depends what one is looking for in life.

Years ago, younger and single, Cha Am wouldn't merit much from me other than maybe a weekend with a new Lady acquaintance to, ahhh, get to know each other better.

Now, happily tied up, older, quieter, but not dead, we are seriously looking at Cha Am.

If we want a night out Crawfords is quick, and HH not too far.

After Southern California and it's traffic, HH is a hop away.

Wouldn't want to do it every night, but we don't go out every night.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

How far is HRM's residence from HH, and how far from Cha Am, and what is the exclusion zone in every direction?

My thinking is that if HH and Cha Am continue to grow, they will gravitate towards each other, except for the above issue.

Same in the old days with Jomtien just a sleepy village about 5 km from Pattaya, now one town and starting to expand even further, almost all the way down to Sattahip.

HRM has a residence here also, between Pattaya and Jomtien right on the water by the Royal Cliff Resort, they just went around it and joined up on the other side. Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:
My thinking is that if HH and Cha Am continue to grow, they will gravitate towards each other
I've no problem with that, as long as they keep the public toilets, showers, bike rental stalls and souvenier shops on the Cha-Am side of town.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:prcscct wrote:
My thinking is that if HH and Cha Am continue to grow, they will gravitate towards each other
I've no problem with that, as long as they keep the public toilets, showers, bike rental stalls and souvenier shops on the Cha-Am side of town.
You joke but it is true here also. Jomtien is the Thai weekend retreat and has all those things in abundance, same as Cha Am apparently. Go to Jomiten on a weekend and the only farang you will see usually are long term residents. Cruise the beach down the road in Pattaya and very few Thai weekend tourists. Pete :cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

prcscct wrote:How far is HRM's residence from HH, and how far from Cha Am, and what is the exclusion zone in every direction?

My thinking is that if HH and Cha Am continue to grow, they will gravitate towards each other, except for the above issue.

Same in the old days with Jomtien just a sleepy village about 5 km from Pattaya, now one town and starting to expand even further, almost all the way down to Sattahip.

HRM has a residence here also, between Pattaya and Jomtien right on the water by the Royal Cliff Resort, they just went around it and joined up on the other side. Pete
I think this may be more difficult. HH being farther, and HRM's residence right between the beach and the main road, along with the army compound.

Eventually? perhaps, but that would be a lot of ground to cover! If HH ever gets in the same league with Pattaya, maybe sooner than later?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm not 100% sure, but I reckon a huge amount of land between CA and HH is owned by the military. There are a few hotels and condos, but I can't see them encroaching too much more on the exclusion zone.
That's why everything is being developed westwards, up in the hills.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

migrant wrote: I think this may be more difficult. HH being farther, and HRM's residence right between the beach and the main road, along with the army compound.

Eventually? perhaps, but that would be a lot of ground to cover! If HH ever gets in the same league with Pattaya, maybe sooner than later?
Hopefully never, concerning the sleeze, but where there's money to be made the Thai's are going to try to make it, regardless of how.

People need to remember that the farangs in Pattaya did not "create" this world of everything considered bad...the Thai's did, to make money off of the farangs. What they did is the same as they did in hundreds of other locations in Thailand for their own kind, they know what attracts men, they know they can control and direct uneducated Thai women and.....they capitalized on it.

In turn, that kind of style attracts gangsters and every other type of low life you may want to consider, farang and Thai alike.

I chuckle when I read posts from people who's thimble of knowledge is not quite full concerning Thailand, especially the one liners about the Pattaya area. It is what you want it to be. If you don't want it, you'll never see or experience what some complain about being so sleezy. If you do want it, you'll find it. Up to you, just like anywhere else here, including Bangkok, Phuket, Samui, HH or even Nakon Nowhere. Pattaya area is a big place now.

Pattaya is full, more than full and bursting at the seams because of the new airport and demand for housing by farangs and Thai alike, especially condos and serviced apartments. It's so full as I mentioned in another thread, it's creeping 20 KM south to Sattahip. After that, I assume it will turn the corner and head east towards Rayong.

Farang populations attract additional farangs. That in turn attracts the Thai's who want to make money, good or bad money makes no difference.

IMHO, in about 10 years if the world doesn't blow itself up first, I can see HH and Cha Am being similar to the Pattaya area in size and scope. Pete :cheers:
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

lomuamart wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I reckon a huge amount of land between CA and HH is owned by the military. There are a few hotels and condos, but I can't see them encroaching too much more on the exclusion zone.
That's why everything is being developed westwards, up in the hills.
The Border Patrol Police (specifically, but not only Paru division) own the land you're talking about, Lomu. They have 2 adjoining camps there; Naresuan, nearer HH and Rama VI which is next to the Summer Palace. A very large area of beachfront land that will, thankfully, not be up for development! :thumb:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!