how far ?

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
whittler
Amateur
Amateur

how far ?

Post by whittler »

How far is Cha am from Hua Hin ?

whittler
YOU CAN TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

IT JUST TAKES LONGER
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

About 20 minutes travel time.

If you see you see somebody pointing at an Aeroplane your in Cha Am.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Whit -

It's 29 Kilometers officially.............coming to visit?
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

how far?

Post by margaretcarnes »

Yes. I for one am fed up with some of the comments made about poor old Chaam, and the lack of publicity you get. See you at Rogeirs after rainy season!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Margaret....what's Rogiers?

And for the record, we are quite happy to be left up here far away from the maddening crowd.
norm
Professional
Professional

Post by norm »

I agree with T.I.G.R. We would just as soon let Cha Am stay the way it is.

I'm not going to mention it's virtues as that would encourage people to come here to check it out and once they did we could not get rid of them. Then we would have the problems HH has with traffic, tourist and noise.

Stick to staying on the main road on your way through. :cheers:
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

29 kilometers and ten years (for better or worse) :mrgreen:

I like Cha Am .... shame for business owners there most farangs go flying on by.

Good beach, good bars, good restaurants ......no tourists.....?
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Sandman -

Maybe we're all missing something here.......there isn't any lack of Thais on a holiday. Our beaches are full of people, our condo is bustling, and the restaurants that look so empty during the week are full.

Maybe it's like this: Cha Am is the Thai version of Hua Hin......because when our family come to visit they have definite interests and a strict schedule:

1) Walking on the beach or sitting quietly on the deck admiring the gulf. Kids are in the pool until dragged out for eating.

2) Eating, cleaning up, eating again, cleaning up, eating again and having some whiskey with ice and club soda in the evening while they visit with each other and continue eating.

3) Shopping at the outdoor market for more food to eat.

Quite unlike our American family and friends we never have to entertain them or see to their welfare in any way.....in fact, they cook for us, clean up after themselves, do their own shopping and their own cooking.

At least those in my family eschew the malls and shopping, quite content to enjoy the peace and quiet of the ocean.....

So, there are tourists, just a different variety.
whittler
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks

Post by whittler »

I want to thank everyone for their input. I can't wait for my housr to sell so I can start my new life. I am 66 yr old, and would like a little laid back
place to live, but not too far from some nightlife. I don't drink so it be
more social than anything.

whittler

p.s. would driving be too dangerous in Hua Hin, and Cha-am for a yank ?
YOU CAN TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

IT JUST TAKES LONGER
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Whittler -

I'm a Yank from California and our friend Norm is one too from other regions. We've both managed a couple of years without maiming anyone, but it hasn't been easy....... :P

We'll look forward to meeting you......I'm 64 and Norm's more than that but I'll let him tell you just how much.

We live in a great condo here....if you're lucky maybe there will be one available for you too. Are you a golfer?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

whittier,

I've rented cars/trucks, on our visits to drive around the area, down to Chumphon, and other sites.

As long as you keep very aware, you'll be fine. Driving on the other side keeps you on your toes, and once you add in bikes going every which way, you'll be busy.

I envy you guys, it'll be 2-3 years before we come over for good, until then just for vacations (sigh! :( not until November).

T.I.G.R. I'm in So Cal, Brea, and see you're an ex Californian. Glad someone had the sense to get away from the hustle and bustle!

:cheers: guys!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Cha-am

Post by margaretcarnes »

Hi TIGR - well I can't remember the name of his flippin' bar - which is annoying because I used to play darts there regularly. Its the one on Beach Rd on the corner of Soi 10. I do actually need the name - and an E address if anyone has it?

Whittler - I hope you like Cha-am. Its much quieter than HH and more laid back, but as you have seen is jealously gaurded by the expats! And rightly so IMO. You might even find that a pedal cycle would be good for getting around :cheers:
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

Margaret, if you went half way down the road in Cha-Am would you be half way to Paradise? :wink:

rogeir@cha-am-info.net
¼Ã
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

how far?

Post by margaretcarnes »

Oh heck yes - how could I forget?! Thanks for that Onlyme - and for the link :cheers:
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I used to cycle to cha-am from sport villa at least 3 times a week for breakfast in crawfords. Distance is not too bad its just the road can get a bit tedious after a while... :|
www.35mmview.com