Sakulwilai Hotel

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
Doggles
Rookie
Rookie

Sakulwilai Hotel

Post by Doggles »

Will be staying in Hua Hin for a couple of days in October, it's my first time back since I was back packing nearly 8 years ago.

Anyway, I think I stayed in the Sakulwilai Hotel first time round and remember it was cheap and rustic, little shocked to see the room rates on the website are 1000B plus. Is it good value at that price or could people recommend other places in the same area?

Thanks in advance for your help,
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Re: Sakulwilai Hotel

Post by johnnyk »

1000 seems in line with current costs for that location and quality of hotel according to the pics. HH has become more expensive since your last visit, for sure. It is now on the map to larger numbers of people, some of that due to the tsunami when many travelers discovered HH after Phuket was devastated.
Good hotel for under 1000 with nice pool is the Subhamitra (Soob-ha-meet). Its on the HH map grid at C6. Family owned and run, the rooms are not fancy but spotlessly clean.
Happiness can't buy money
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Welcome to the forum Doggles.

Here you'll find some budget accommodation: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20704
Doggles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doggles »

Norseman wrote:Welcome to the forum Doggles.

Here you'll find some budget accommodation
Apologies, noob error. Will have a good look for places there.

Thanks
Last edited by Doggles on Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doggles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doggles »

johnnyk wrote:1000 seems in line with current costs for that location and quality of hotel according to the pics. HH has become more expensive since your last visit, for sure. It is now on the map to larger numbers of people, some of that due to the tsunami when many travelers discovered HH after Phuket was devastated.
Good hotel for under 1000 with nice pool is the Subhamitra (Soob-ha-meet). Its on the HH map grid at C6. Family owned and run, the rooms are not fancy but spotlessly clean.
Thanks for the tip. With October being low season would you recommend I book over the net or just turn up and try to negotiate a discount?

It's a shame its so expensive now, especially with the baht being so strong against the pound. I remember HH being a brilliant place for a thrifty traveller. Well apart from the HH Brewing Company, almost died at the cost of a beer then. It must be about 300B for a Singha there now!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Doggles wrote:With October being low season would you recommend I book over the net or just turn up and try to negotiate a discount?
More often than not the online booking rate is substantially better than the walk-in rate.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Doggles wrote:
johnnyk wrote:1000 seems in line with current costs for that location and quality of hotel according to the pics. HH has become more expensive since your last visit, for sure. It is now on the map to larger numbers of people, some of that due to the tsunami when many travelers discovered HH after Phuket was devastated.
Thanks for the tip. With October being low season would you recommend I book over the net or just turn up and try to negotiate a discount?

It's a shame its so expensive now, especially with the baht being so strong against the pound. I remember HH being a brilliant place for a thrifty traveller. Well apart from the HH Brewing Company, almost died at the cost of a beer then. It must be about 300B for a Singha there now!
I don't believe they have a website. In October, no worries just turn up. I never reserved and stayed there several times for a week or more each time while my house was under construction. NO discounts, I asked.
The lady owner chews galvanized nails for breakfast with a few razor blades on the side. Her stare would frighten Idi Amin.
HH is expensive near the Hilton but that's the sucker, er tourist, area. Go the other side of Phetchkasem and beyond the railway and its not expensive.
Happiness can't buy money
Doggles
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Doggles »

johnnyk wrote: The lady owner chews galvanized nails for breakfast with a few razor blades on the side. Her stare would frighten Idi Amin.
Ha ha I'll look out for her, see if a big smile can melt that heart.