New block of dirt bought today

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Grunter

New block of dirt bought today

Post by Grunter »

Well today i got another block of dirt over in Red Mountain.
So now the fun begins with clearing some land & getting it ready to build another house.

Just a quick question.
Looking for a decent front end loader operator who can clear & level the block of land.
It is 1 Rai & want a few tree's taken out as well as have the land leveled out & then will be looking at
dropping some more top soil dirt in to build it up around 1 to 1 1/2 feet higher over 1/2 the block.
So if anyone has used someone for this type of deal & also cart all the rubbish away as well, would be appreciative
of anyone who is recommended

Cheers, Grunter

PS: Will post some pics of the block when i get a chance to do so
Grunter

Re: New block of dirt bought today

Post by Grunter »

Well a quick update, got the land all cleared & now ready to add a extra meter of dirt on top to
build it up above the next doors blocks, so when it rains they can get the water
Still trying to get pics sorted from my PC
Then i will post a few pics
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Grunter wrote:Well a quick update, got the land all cleared & now ready to add a extra meter of dirt on top to
build it up above the next doors blocks, so when it rains they can get the water
Still trying to get pics sorted from my PC
Then i will post a few pics
Some years ago, the government tried to put through a proposal requiring planning permission to raise land as that is a major cause of flooding. The government changed before it could be made law.

However, why raise the land unnecessarily just to cause someone else a problem. Rather selfish don't you think. My land was raised slightly to match the neighbours around me and we don't have a flooding problem. If I'd built my land up higher then they would have had a problem. Please think again.
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

HHtel,

May have been tongue in cheek when i said they will get the water
Our block is roughly 400mm below each side block after clearing & getting it leveled
So basically we are going to roughly the same level as the adjoining blocks, only difference is it will
be a arched in the centre of the block to allow run off away from the house & not so it pools around the house
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Just a tip, unless you are building on pilings you need to let filled land settle for a year or so before construction (for a slab foundation). If you put slab on filled land too soon it will settle after you build the house and you'll bet cracks or worse. I heard of one guy up north whose kitchen separated a half meter from his house do to ground settling.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Grunter

Post by Grunter »

Yeah very true as well & good point as well.
Had a soil test done by a group from BKK & found that there is a basement of bedrock only 8 feet down
that runs across the whole block for the best part.
So was planning on doing a floating foundation style, have done in the past on a few other builds
with fairly good success with this method
We used a Auger & drilled holes down on the last place to the bedrock & had concrete pillars with Elephant (Bell) bottoms & then gravel packed around the footings & then topped it off with soil.
Te house slab was then attached to the concrete pillars at surface level & tied into rio bar mesh that held it all in place. We are looking at adopting the same method for this as well for this build.
But do agree that should let it compact over at least a year if going directly on top of lad fill freshly laid
or as you say there is a good chance of it cracking through walls or dropping in time
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The foundation you describe is exactly what we did (called footings by our builder) for a large two story house here and it was good. We even did it high enough to allow for a 1 meter crawl space below the beam suspended ground floor so that we could run electric and water pipes as well as an anti termite spray system attached to the bottom of the house with easy access for maintenance through two small doors. I couldn't get through them :oops: but the small Thai workers could with no problem.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
RODERICK
Rookie
Rookie

Post by RODERICK »

Tom..

trying to touch base with you... the e-mail address I have is not working... I posted it but the " forum " won't let me post it "

Rod Burgess
North Carolina

PS give me your phone number and I'll call..
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

RODERICK wrote:Tom..

trying to touch base with you... the e-mail address I have is not working... I posted it but the " forum " won't let me post it "

Rod Burgess
North Carolina

Make 1 more post and you can then post anything you want, and send/receive PM's. Just reply to this and say "OK", and you're in business.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15378

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10054

Due to recent levels of spam, unauthorized promotion of competing websites, and private message abuse we have modified the software for newly registered users.

New accounts with less than ten posts will be subjected to the following restrictions:

1) PM (private message) function will be disabled.
2) Signature function will be disabled.
3) Posting links and urls will be disabled.

This is an automated software security feature that will protect the board and its members from spammers and freeloaders. Once ten posts have been made all three functions will be automatically enabled, we apologise in advance for any inconvenience that this may cause new members to the board.

May we please remind you all that using the PM system to promote private or commercial property services or competing websites or services is strictly forbidden."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Due to recent levels of spam, unauthorized promotion of competing websites, and private message abuse we have modified the software for newly registered users.

New accounts with less than ten posts will be subjected to the following restrictions:

1) PM (private message) function will be disabled.
2) Signature function will be disabled.
3) Posting links and urls will be disabled.

This is an automated software security feature that will protect the board and its members from spammers and freeloaders. Once ten posts have been made all three functions will be automatically enabled, we apologise in advance for any inconvenience that this may cause new members to the board.

May we please remind you all that using the PM system to promote private or commercial property services or competing websites or services is strictly forbidden."
Off topic I know, but does this mean PM's are monitored by mods? Just curious :duck:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Para 4 tells it all. Edit: laugh removed...we need to be careful, as newbees don't understand this stuff or what we're joking about, and reading may think PM's are read by others. I want to read yours Richard, maybe I can buy a subscription? :mrgreen:

EDIT: END...FINISH....this thread is important to Roderick. :offtopic:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

RODERICK wrote:Tom..

Rod Burgess
North Carolina

HHF may be in the states, he was planning on heading over around now
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yes, right now I am in North Carolina and am trying to buy a house here.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

hhfarang wrote:Yes, right now I am in North Carolina and am trying to buy a house here.
Good luck with your search there, mate. Here is one that I know of. It is a bit further West than NC, but the good old boys told me they will throw in the Limo if it is any help to you. They also have said the house warming will be on them. So maybe worth a look. :rasta:
ozarks house.JPG
Ozark house warming.JPG
Ozark house warming.JPG (20.55 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Looks like my kind of people!