Selling land based on the appraised (goverment assessed) land office valuation

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
lomsak
Novice
Novice

Selling land based on the appraised (goverment assessed) land office valuation

Post by lomsak »

I am in the process of selling some farm land.
At long last found a serious buyer

However just been made aware that the land office/ government earlier this year dramatically increased the properties assessment value for taxation purposes.
( its three time higher than the previous assessed valuation for tax)

This assessed valuation value is nearly double the price I am selling for.

Whilst I appreciate its impact is huge on Withholding tax, should I be selling at a assessed price (per square wah.)

I want to sell at a realistic and achievable price, as I need the funds.
Its not a fire sale, and I can wait many months, but to lose my current interested customer and start afresh at marketing it at this dramatically higher price seems tempting but highly risky.

Key question. Should land in rural location realistically be sold around price assessed
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Selling land based on the appraised (goverment assessed) land office valuation

Post by RCer »

Personally, if you feel you are getting fair value at present price and the buyer feels the same way, sell it.

If it is anout maximizing profit, a few questions arise.

1. How dependable are government assessed values vs market value?

2. How much would it cost you in actual B to wait, as well as time and effort put into the marketing? I tend to put a high value on my time in such things.
AJBangkok
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Selling land based on the appraised (goverment assessed) land office valuation

Post by AJBangkok »

I would say the government appraisal price has virtually no chance of being lowered so you are banking on your property price going up. In this environment I can't see that happening for quite a long time.

The last government appraisal increase before this one was in 2011 I think, so you may be waiting a very long time for the next one and it's highly unlikely that they would decrease it because what government in the world doesn't want more tax revenue.