How not to get ripped off?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.

Is it safe to buy a house

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 14

tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Burger.

Not sure how long you have been here but.

I stand by my comments, take it or leave it.

You yourself have made many comments regarding advice from your BKK lawyer but when asked which lawyer you have not answered. I think Loumart asked.

I have done no more than point out the law in Thailand,

Jw,

I not only think you are wrong i also know you know you are wrong, you know as well as i do the many people who have done everything right only to have to still pay tea money. This includes Bars and many other company structures.

I will say again and again, we all know the law here in Thailand and my advice to anyone is contact your Embassy for genuine advice.

Estate Agents want your business, so do property speculators so get the advice you need from those qualified to give it, Independent advice is always the best.

Clearly i must be saying somthing right to get the sort of response i am from people with vested interests.

To end my comments on this subject I will leave it on this note.

Contact Your Embassy for advice on the legalities of owning land or House.

If they tell you to go ahead, then thats good news for all and there will be no more arguments on this subject. :cheers:

Mike.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Burger wrote:
You can make all your points without stirring up people's emotions.
If we all keep it sensible some useful advice can be given to those thinking about purchasing property here.

Burger
Hear hear.

Well said Burger.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

So here are the options for getting on the Thai property ladder:

1. Form a company to buy land and house.

Possibly illegal, depending on who you talk to. When the anti-farang despot takes over on a populist ticket the law will be enforced to the letter and you will lose everything and may need to be heli-vac'd to the roof of your Embassy at short notice. Make sure you are 'on the list' by registering with your embassy if you buy a house using this method.

2. Buy the house, lease the land.

This way you build a nice house with all mod cons that the Thai freeholder's family will eventually move in to. Your children will be left penniless as you will have pissed all your money up against a wall. You will die broke and alone, unable to return to your country of origin. Korp khun mak khrup - now get out of MY house you stupid farang.

3. Buy a condo in your own name.

Own a slice of the sky for as long as the building stays up. This could be forever or it could be next week, depending on whether the building is actually structurally sound and whether the owner can foresee another, more profitable use for the land. Watch out for those night time bulldozers - TIT. There is also the risk that a sharp witted local entrepreneur will buy the top three floors and establish a zoo as a tourist attraction for the Bangkok weekenders.

4. Put the house in your Thai wife's name.

Don't trust those Thai girls, they are evil and will take everything from you. If you don't believe it, did you hear the story of old Pierre, the Belgian dentist? Well, he came to Hua Hin, bought a house in his wife's name and one day he came home to find that the house had been dismantled, carted away on the back of a pick up and rebuilt in Buriram. When he tracked down the wife and confronted her he was beaten to death by her brothers and secret Thai boyfriend and skinned to form seat covers for the new Isuzu 4WD that Pierre had given his wife's father to replace the dead buffalo.

5. Rent a house: As in all countries, money down the drain but serves a purpose for those not minded to implement plan 1, 2, 3 or 4. Your rent will increase at extortionate rates and you will probably decorate the house and cultivate the garden to a nice standard but still end up losing your damage bond to your sour faced Sino-Thai landlord on some fabricated account.

That just about sums up the options and, take it from someone in the know, it's all true I tell you.

Happy house hunting! :P
Last edited by Jaime on Mon May 01, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

tuktukmike wrote:
Not sure how long you have been here but.
Lived here on and off for 12 years, been married to a Thai for 6 years, hope that's ok with you.
You yourself have made many comments regarding advice from your BKK lawyer but when asked which lawyer you have not answered. I think Loumart asked.
No Mike, the comment Lomuamart was responding to was not a quote from my/a BKK lawyer, I never said it was, please re-read the post. Also in an earlier post I actually asked you if you would like the name and number of a good lawyer on here, but you refused. Again if you would like this info, please PM me, I will be glad to refer you to him as he may be of use to you.
I have done no more than point out the law in Thailand.
You have not pointed out the law at all Mike, you make spurious comments off the cuff and get them completely wrong.
You talk about capital gains tax, yet there is no seperate capital gains tax.
You talk about 'the Thais deciding to kick farangs out of their houses' yet the Supreme court of Thailand has ruled that any foreigner breaking the land code rules will have between 180 days and 1 year to sell their land/house. This is specified in section 96 of the Land Code.
You talk about not being able to own a company when on a retirement visa, yet you can.
You talk about having to change to a 'B' (business) visa if you are a shareholder of a company, yet you do not need to change to a 'B' visa at all to be a shareholder.

Mike, I think the point is we can all make our comments and opinions known to the posters in a sensible manner and let them make up their own minds, without the need for inflammatory comments.
You appear to get your kicks out of stirring things up on here, but guess what ......... IT'S BORING MATE.
If that's what you're after, try the Thai Visa Forum, you'll fit in nicely there :wink:

Burger
Last edited by Burger on Mon May 01, 2006 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

oops