New House without a pool?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Peroni
Amateur
Amateur

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Peroni »

I would always opt for a pool in this climate
Last edited by Peroni on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peroni
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Peroni »

Well, coming from Australia and having had 2 pools here, I considered it an essential, for two reasons, one was the pure pleasure, during the hot season to be able to dip into the water at any time that took my fancy. Swimming as such is not an important factor, pools here are too small, therefore, pools are more for plunging and splashing to cool off.
Second, was the resale value. If you want to get top return on your investment, when it is time to move on, then you have to offer a premium product to attract the right level of buyer.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Peroni wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:47 pmSecond, was the resale value. If you want to get top return on your investment, when it is time to move on, then you have to offer a premium product to attract the right level of buyer.
I have to say that plunge pools, which nearly all are, do not interest me at all. Where I live there are tons of the things, but they never seem used much.

I bought on a development and there were many other factors that came ahead of a plunge pool. Price was an obvious one, but so was the environment, cleanliness, maintancence, fees and so on. I got lucky there, plus having an excellent communal pool very close, which was high on my list of priorities.

As for return on your investment, isn't it the case that you're simply aiming to get back the price you paid for the pool originally? I can't believe a pool on it's own is ever the deal clincher, but rather the overall package?
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Mandy with cats wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:04 pm If people are looking for a pool villa to buy, there is huge supply in the market so i dont have any advantage even if i have a pool, as long as i have a big garden with access for the machines of pool builder, the next buyer can build an aquarium if they want.
I don't argue with your feelings about having a pool for your own use, but I think this is not the way to look at the resale market. If a house has a pool in situ it will be a plus for the vast majority of buyers (as someone above who is involved in the market confirmed). I'm sure they would prefer that to having to arrange pool construction themselves (it's not a picnic, no construction work is in Thailand).
Ericg
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ericg »

caller wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:54 pm
Peroni wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:47 pmSecond, was the resale value. If you want to get top return on your investment, when it is time to move on, then you have to offer a premium product to attract the right level of buyer.
I have to say that plunge pools, which nearly all are, do not interest me at all. Where I live there are tons of the things, but they never seem used much.

I bought on a development and there were many other factors that came ahead of a plunge pool. Price was an obvious one, but so was the environment, cleanliness, maintancence, fees and so on. I got lucky there, plus having an excellent communal pool very close, which was high on my list of priorities.

As for return on your investment, isn't it the case that you're simply aiming to get back the price you paid for the pool originally? I can't believe a pool on it's own is ever the deal clincher, but rather the overall package?
Where did you end up buying. I’m also looking more for a good communal pool in my housing development
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Have you looked at Tropical garden village towards Cha am. You get a lot of bang for your buck as you head that way! Plus possible rises as new train station is built in that area.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
manjara
Novice
Novice

Post by manjara »

We have a large pool (12.5x5) but it’s not used that often! I usually have a swim every morning if I’m there, but the kids never use it (and they swim competitively!)
Maintenance is about 3k a month and we’ve had to replace the pump.
Still, I’d say it’s worth having! When the weather is hot, it’s really great to be able to just jump in!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

NOKYAI wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:58 am Have you looked at Tropical garden village towards Cha am. You get a lot of bang for your buck as you head that way! Plus possible rises as new train station is built in that area.
Where is that? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Ericg wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 amWhere did you end up buying. I’m also looking more for a good communal pool in my housing development
Sent pm
Talk is cheap
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

migrant wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:03 am
NOKYAI wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:58 am Have you looked at Tropical garden village towards Cha am. You get a lot of bang for your buck as you head that way! Plus possible rises as new train station is built in that area.
Off the Klong Rd, Past Palm Hills, left at next roundabout
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Mandy with cats
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Mandy with cats »

So any development around soi 70 to soi 88 has a communal pool?i prefer off plan developments so that i can design my house
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

NOKYAI wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:57 pm
migrant wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:03 am
Off the Klong Rd, Past Palm Hills, left at next roundabout
:cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I personally would never consider buying a place with a pool. I have lived in several properties during my life which had pools, and they are just too much hassle. The ones in Thailand are even a bigger hassle because you have to physically brush and vacuum whereas in SA you don't have to.

I should also add that I would never in a million years be willing to buy a property inside a development, which essentially means no communal pool either. If I want to swim, there are a number of pools I can use, but to be honest, I'm much rather nip down the road and swim in the pool Mother Nature has provides, the ocean.

I personally know several people here who are definitely wealthy enough to afford buying a homes with pools, but they chose not to have pools. I also have one friend with a very large and fancy pool that now stands bone dry as it has done for the last ten years or so.

Yes, I know my kids would be happy if we had a pool in our garden, but fortunately, they are free to swim in our neighbor's pool more or less whenever they want.

Also, our friend Mark Zuckerberg has been very successful at the value of pools, particularly among the youth. :twisted: :twisted:

:laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Personally I like a pool. I've had many over the years in houses I've owned. But, I use it, from a quick dip to laps (when I'm in an exercise phase).

But I think for investment, maybe more in the states than here, no pool is best. Many buyers don't want the upkeep and the worries about young children.

I believe most buyers, if they want a pool, will put one in.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Takiap wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:09 am I also have one friend with a very large and fancy pool that now stands bone dry as it has done for the last ten years or so.
Ten years...

I for one would not buy that house without factoring in cost of removal of the pool and cost of a new one (if wanted)!

"Draining or emptying your pool of water can create a number of financial and structural headaches, including:

Cracking the pool's shell
Damaging the interior lining or surface
Damaging the pool's coping and surrounding paving or timber work
Causing it to "float" due to hydrostatic pressure
Damaging expensive in-floor cleaning systems
Damaging pool lights

and last but not least in my book:
Causing a safety hazard for people, pets and local wildlife"

:shock:

If he has money he should have kept it maintained, as you should with the whole of your home. :)