New House without a pool?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Property
User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32856
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Big Boy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:11 pm

404cameljockey wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 am
I see the jury's out on the pool/no pool question, but I also think the point made about trying to resell a build without a pool is important. It can be hard enough to shift properties (especially if you want to live outside the city itself) without hindering yourself with no pool. Just worth considering IMO.
If you buy enough land for a pool, you can have one built at any time.

The guy 2 doors up from me didn't have enough space, so he bought the house next door, demolished it, and it's now a lovely swimming pool. It's been finished since 12 April - I'd be surprised if it's had 2 hours use yet. The novelty often soon wears off.
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:21 am

Big Boy wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:11 pm
404cameljockey wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 am
I see the jury's out on the pool/no pool question, but I also think the point made about trying to resell a build without a pool is important. It can be hard enough to shift properties (especially if you want to live outside the city itself) without hindering yourself with no pool. Just worth considering IMO.
If you buy enough land for a pool, you can have one built at any time.

The guy 2 doors up from me didn't have enough space, so he bought the house next door, demolished it, and it's now a lovely swimming pool. It's been finished since 12 April - I'd be surprised if it's had 2 hours use yet. The novelty often soon wears off.
My point was that a pool in place is a selling feature. An empty space where your buyer could build one (which he nerds to calculate into his buying price) is not. And whether it will be used or not is moot. People always are keen on buying gym equipment and barbecues, yes?😃

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32856
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Big Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 am

Yes, and my point is is that if the OP decides to sell, there is no reason why they couldn't install a pool before selling. An earlier remark stated:
PBbeacher wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 am
But, it will be very difficult to resell should you want to in the future, and in a development, once the surrounding properties are built it may be virtually impossible to install a pool later.
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

User avatar
dtaai-maai
Addict
Addict
Posts: 9803
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:00 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by dtaai-maai » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:43 am

These days, you could always do the sensible thing and rent, unless you're planning to stay here forever.
Cry ‘God for Harry, England, and St George!’

User avatar
laphanphon
Professional
Professional
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:15 am
Location: PKK

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by laphanphon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:10 am

Would hope anyone planning on buying, plans on staying at least 5 years.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Mark Twain

Thank God for Atheists

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:23 am

Big Boy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 am
Yes, and my point is is that if the OP decides to sell, there is no reason why they couldn't install a pool before selling. An earlier remark stated:
PBbeacher wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 am
But, it will be very difficult to resell should you want to in the future, and in a development, once the surrounding properties are built it may be virtually impossible to install a pool later.
The post you quotes makes the point that it will be virtually impossible to sell without a pool. That might be overstating it a bit but it makes a huge portion of the market less interested. So if you are likely to want to resell and are building new, I personally don't see the point of a second major construction project down the line.

Just me I guess.

User avatar
laphanphon
Professional
Professional
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:15 am
Location: PKK

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by laphanphon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:35 am

TBO, I think not having a pool, would be a plus when reselling. Only a newb would want a pool.

And 7000 baht a month for maintenance fee, yikes. Another reason why I'd never live in a development.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Mark Twain

Thank God for Atheists

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5290
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Dannie Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:51 am

As in most things in life, to have or not to have a pool is very much a personal choice - some people couldn’t live without one, others would see it as a burden. I have no data to back this up, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the yes or no camp is fairly equally divided, so for everybody who might be only interested if there is a pool, there could be an equal number who would see the absence of a pool as a big plus. The OP should have a reasonable idea on whether they see their stay in HH as a long term or short/medium term adventure - if it’s the former, then they have no immediate concerns about selling.
Personally, I had a 11x7 m pool built that cost about 1.2m Baht nearly 6 years ago. I clean it myself so the cost of maintenance is pretty low, but it’s hard work if you vacuum and brush it on a regular basis and of course getting the leaves, insects, frogs etc out on a daily (twice) basis - how often does it get used...........every time we have visitors!!

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32856
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Big Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:03 am

I'm with you on maintenance fees - scared the hell out of me at the one and only development I visited, especially when they wanted 3 years fees in advance on top of a deposit. I made a very fast exit. However, in fairness, I think only a fraction of the quoted 7,000 Baht would be for pool maintenance.

Then, there is what does pool maintenance actually cover? I have friends who purchased their dream home, complete with pool 5 years ago. I would guess they've had significant problems about every 9 months since - none of it apparently covered by maintenance or the builder's guarantee. Only this month they've had to pay out for a leaking pool - 3rd time in 5 years. Maybe they've been unlucky, but it's hassle I can do without.
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32856
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Big Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:08 am

Dannie's post crossed with mine - my friends would definitely fall into the couldn't live without one bracket - they use their pool daily.

Me? I've come to Thailand to die, so couldn't care less about re-sale.

Mrs BB? I've bought her a big bucket (the type builders use to mix cement). If she's too hot, she's just as happy filling that, and sitting in it for a couple of hours. Uses the water to water the plants afterwards :wink:
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

NOKYAI
Guru
Guru
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:38 am
Location: Hua hin
Contact:

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by NOKYAI » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:35 am

Mrs BB? I've bought her a big bucket (the type builders use to mix cement). If she's too hot, she's just as happy filling that, and sitting in it for a couple of hours. Uses the water to water the plants afterwards :wink:
[/quote]
You are a gent! I hope that wasn’t your Christmas present to her!
Now semi retired 60:40 Thailand: UK ( seems to be working well)

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32856
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Big Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 am

:lach:

Less maintenance than a pool :wink:
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

PBbeacher
Professional
Professional
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by PBbeacher » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:36 am

404cameljockey wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:23 am
Big Boy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 am
Yes, and my point is is that if the OP decides to sell, there is no reason why they couldn't install a pool before selling. An earlier remark stated:
PBbeacher wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 am
But, it will be very difficult to resell should you want to in the future, and in a development, once the surrounding properties are built it may be virtually impossible to install a pool later.
The post you quotes makes the point that it will be virtually impossible to sell without a pool. That might be overstating it a bit but it makes a huge portion of the market less interested. So if you are likely to want to resell and are building new, I personally don't see the point of a second major construction project down the line.

Just me I guess.
Actually I said it will be very difficult to resell without a pool -
I deal with house hunters everyday and the number of people who require no pool is a TINY %, can't even remember the last time. Guess the OP is in the minority there.
I also said "...in a development, once the surrounding properties are built it may be virtually impossible to install a pool later."
I have heard of 2 cases, 1 someone built a house in a pool villa development without a pool and once the surrounding homes were built could not get access to add one later, and one ordered and started construction on a small pool and wanted to enlarge it but couldn't get access to do so because of surrounding properties under construction (now has a house on 1 rai plot with an 8m pool and cannot sell the property). That's my point and so yes there is a reason why they possibly wouldn't be able to install a pool later.

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 32856
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Big Boy » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:10 pm

Yes, that is what I quoted - didn't change anything. Wherever the OP buys, if they think they might need to re-sell, and a pool would be more desirable than a builder's bucket :oops: , then they need to buy with that in mind - don't but in an inaccessible area.
League 1 Oxford 1 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 7; Position 24

Mandy with cats
Amateur
Amateur
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Re: New House without a pool?

Post by Mandy with cats » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Yes, the pool thing is very personal, if i see a nice house without a pool, that will be a big plus for me. If people are looking for a pool villa to buy, there is huge supply in the market so i dont have any advantage even if i have a pool, as long as i have a big garden with access for the machines of pool builder, the next buyer can build an aquarium if they want. In normal case my pruchase price will be cheaper without the pool, so i dont think it is a dead end decision, but a flexibility for the next buyer if i really want to resale (no intention for now, will be staying long term until my kid goes to university out of thailand)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests