Mercy House Orphanage in Pranburi

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

usual suspect wrote:Good points made by Barry...next time we plan on going it would'nt be a daft idea to swing into Makro and get a big bucket of washing powder to go with the gifts for the kidz.... :thumb:
Would you come in May as theyve seen you before?
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I'd like to thank all those who have sent me PMs over the last couple of days and their offers of assistance for the orphanage in various ways.

Many thanks to Buksida, Francois, Khundon, Bluezephyr, Pagey, Dtaii mai and Dawn.

I also got a phone call from a representative of the Finnish community in Hua Hin.
They propose to collect items among themselves and then deposit them at a central pick-up point in Hua Hin, which is fantastic.

Is there sufficient interest to hold a meeting in Hua Hin to discuss how such an effort could be coordinated?

Still room for 1 or 2 more helpers on the orphanage sea cruise on 21 February by the way.
Francois
Professional
Professional

Post by Francois »

barrys wrote:If two more people would like to come along, we'd be delighted - great chance to meet a great bunch of kids!!
Hi Barry,

Unfortunately, I'll be in France and will not be of any help... Nonethless, I spoke with the local Lions Club. What are their needs ? What can we do ?
François
And me, still the most self satisfied of men
I was almost as drunk as myself
(Jacques Brel)
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I thought your idea of somewhere central selling Mercy House Crafts a very good one, Barry.

When we had our charity shop we used to sell the crafts for them and they were extremely well made and a very reasonable price. I'd have thought a bookshop (Megabooks???) or furniture/Thai style product shop would be an ideal place to sell them. Can anyone help out?

Will see you and the kids on Saturday. :D
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Hi everyone :thumb:

Just a thought about collecting for Mercy House.

How about setting up some collection boxes around the farang owned bars, restaurants and other establishments.

In my local here in UK we have 2 on the bar, one for lifeboat and another for a local hospice.

It has become a bit of a ritual, after enjoying a good time drinking in the bar, we signal our intention to finish for the night, by putting some loose change into the collections for worthy causes.

There is no min/max amount, just as long as something (cash) goes into the pot.

In the venues there in HH, a few Baht here, 20 Baht there, and you soon have a fair bit of cash, if enough boxes are put out.

Lets face it, how many of us have a box at home loaded with 1, 2, 5, 10, coins that have been left over at the end of the night.

I bet you lose more than that a day, down the back of the sofa.

Maybe the bar owners can also encourage any new customers/holidaymakers to take part in this worthy cause.

My landlord does and the new customers always give the odd couple of coins before they leave, and get a big cheer, from all the pub.

What's more important is that the customers enjoy doing it, and if you make it fun, they come back.
That is the trick, make it fun.

I'm sure that the HHAD community and others will donate a large amount of dry/non perishable, much need items, together with clothing, and also social outings for the children.
Others will donate some cash.

I have no idea how Mercy House is funded, but cash is king, and they must have overheads that only cash can cover.

50 boxes collecting just 100 Baht a night each is Baht 5000. You do the maths.

It is just an idea guys and gals, what do you think.?

How many people would be willing to put a box in their premises?

What better cause is there, than to give a child a better life, I can't think of one.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nothing against the cause - I think its a really good one, and I have no objection to helping if I can. However, mandatory donations as I left a bar - I don't think so. I donate to charities when I want to, not because everybody else in the pub will ridicule me if I don't. I certainly don't need a cheer to mark my departure.

I don't want to sound tight (maybe I am :oops: ), but if somebody started waving a charity box in my face, I might donate to save ridicule (and would probably do so with a smile), but I would make sure it didn't happen again by voting with my feet.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Big Boy wrote:Nothing against the cause - I think its a really good one, and I have no objection to helping if I can. However, mandatory donations as I left a bar - I don't think so. I donate to charities when I want to, not because everybody else in the pub will ridicule me if I don't. I certainly don't need a cheer to mark my departure.

I don't want to sound tight (maybe I am :oops: ), but if somebody started waving a charity box in my face, I might donate to save ridicule (and would probably do so with a smile), but I would make sure it didn't happen again by voting with my feet.
Hi Big Boy,

Sorry I'm not talking about mandatory donations, there is no obligation to donate here in UK, the guys that want to, do, those that don't want to, don't, it is that simple.

We do not ridicule anyone who does not contribute, nor is a box waved under their nose to do so.

Many people who come into the bar for the first time and have heard of the "ritual" do so without any prompting, and enjoy it.

Many a time I have left the bar and put nothing in, mainly because I simply had no loose change. It is always a matter of choice here and I have never heard of any one being forced to contribute, nor subjected to ridicule if they don't. Ever.

As I mentioned in my OP the idea is to make it fun, not to make someone feel guilty because he won't put 2 Baht in the box.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's certainly not the way your post read to me - most probably my mis-interpretation.

That aside, I don't think it would work because it would impact upon the girl's tips. For many of the girls money from tips is an essential part of their day to day survival.

Points 41; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Big Boy wrote:That's certainly not the way your post read to me - most probably my mis-interpretation.

That aside, I don't think it would work because it would impact upon the girl's tips. For many of the girls money from tips is an essential part of their day to day survival.
Hi Big Boy :?
May be I could have worded it differently, but I did emphasise making it fun. that is why it works here.

Do you really think the girls would begrudge a child 1 or 2 Baht? we are not talking folding money here. If that tiny amount "impinges on their tips" I would be very surprised.

Many of them have children of there own, and are doing what they do, to support them.

Having said that, I value your constructive comments, and hope to hear from you and other posters on ways to fine tune this idea, if it can be.

Maybe there will be a wave of posts saying bad idea, in that case I will bow to their wisdom and move on.

It may be I'm being naive and have formed the wrong opinion of the farang community and as I said in my OP, it is just an idea to help 24 kids.

I look forward to others posting their comments and ideas.
Thanks Big Boy. :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not only would it impact on BG tips, but it would also impact on the plethora of other 'needy' causes crawling around the bars eg the old and blind singers, the limbless and I even read on here about the bogus Buddhist Monk who doing the rounds.

If your boxes became successful, this is Thailand - how long before bogus boxes, collectors etc started doing the rounds? The Thai race is very good at picking up on money making schemes. If they allow a bogus Monk to wander from bar to bar conning visitors, do you really think your boxes would be a success?

It is sad, but it is reality.

Points 41; Position 18
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

When ive been in to Tesco's theres always a big clear donation box showing a reasonable amount of goodwill, Located after the tills ready to catch people's low notes and loose change before going back in wallets and purses.

Knowledge of Thai charity collection rules and a word with the store manager something could probably be placed there, Probably more effective than in bars and restaurants. People get pee'd off being accosted by sellers in Bars so then to donate to a charity box is last thing someone's going to do. Thats how i see it anyway. People passing through wont give it enough thought to donate and regular donations will eventually start to dry out.

Would a local company make a lockable collection box for a good cause?
Printing designed to show the cause?
Word with Tesco manager about a good location?

I only started the thread to see if someone wants to come along when i can visit but seems more discussion about Mercy house has come about and its all good :thumb:
Dtaai-Mai and Dawn, Have a good day out on the boat :clap:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've seen the box outside Tesco, and it's well supported - anybody know who the beneficiary is?

I've seen similar boxes in places such as airports - Mrs BB has often donated to the box at Khon Kaen airport.

Points 41; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

bluezephyr wrote:When ive been in to Tesco's theres always a big clear donation box showing a reasonable amount of goodwill, Located after the tills ready to catch people's low notes and loose change before going back in wallets and purses.

Knowledge of Thai charity collection rules and a word with the store manager something could probably be placed there, Probably more effective than in bars and restaurants. People get pee'd off being accosted by sellers in Bars so then to donate to a charity box is last thing someone's going to do. Thats how i see it anyway. People passing through wont give it enough thought to donate and regular donations will eventually start to dry out.

Would a local company make a lockable collection box for a good cause?
Printing designed to show the cause?
Word with Tesco manager about a good location?

I only started the thread to see if someone wants to come along when i can visit but seems more discussion about Mercy house has come about and its all good :thumb:
Dtaai-Mai and Dawn, Have a good day out on the boat :clap:
Hi Bluezephyr :)

Thanks, keeping the thread going, keeps the topic in peoples minds and can only be a good thing for Mercy House.

I have seen a similar HUGE transparent box in the Tops supermarket in Pathum Thani three quarters full of money and notes. Must be half a million Baht at least, and that was for Elephants!

My suggestion is, just as I said an idea, and as I said to BB, put there for discussion and to stimulate other ideas.

This has prompted you to put a positive suggestion forward, lets hope that can be the first of many and other posters can build on these ideas, and by consensus come up with something that will work.

It works in UK but maybe does not transfer to Thailand's bars.

I rather thought it would not, but put it up anyway to judge the response of those in the HHAD community.
Thanks I hope there are more positive suggestions like yours.

bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

http://www.pattayamail.com/417/kids.htm

Just found this, At the bottom it says 240.000B was raised in lotus through donations
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The above has turned into a big organization. Here's their latest results and maybe has some ideas in there for HH. Pete :cheers:

http://www.care4kids.info/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source