Stone Gardens vs Grass Gardens

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Stone Gardens vs Grass Gardens

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:Thanks guys, you have been a great help :violin:
I'm sorry I couldn't help but if you read the above, you'll see that my five truck loads of stone don't need any mowing!
Maybe 5 truckloads of stones on top of the grass and a couple of goats or geese for the blades that manage to creep through will do the trick?

Anyway I did find a half decent mower that seems to fit the bill at Thai Watsadu, so will splash my cash, but if it turns out no good then I might be forced to adopt one of the suggested alternatives :cheers:
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

What size are the 3500 baht truckloads? Pick-up truck or dump truck?
Happiness can't buy money
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Too late maybe but there is a shop in Tha-Yang that sells retail Honda mowers (as opposed to Thai/Chinese bodied Honda engines). I can't remember the exact location but its on the right hand side if you turn left at the lights (assuming you are coming from Cha-Am/Hua Hin). There are plenty of other shops up there that sell all manner of different lawnmowers.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Frank Hovis wrote:Too late maybe but there is a shop in Tha-Yang that sells retail Honda mowers (as opposed to Thai/Chinese bodied Honda engines). I can't remember the exact location but its on the right hand side if you turn left at the lights (assuming you are coming from Cha-Am/Hua Hin). There are plenty of other shops up there that sell all manner of different lawnmowers.
Thanks Frank but yes I was a little impatient and have already bought one. I did consider a Honda but the ones I found were manual push type, whereas my wife bless her wanted a self propelled one in case I'm away and she has to mow the grass herself. :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

johnnyk wrote:What size are the 3500 baht truckloads? Pick-up truck or dump truck?
That was for the smaller size dump truck load, those about 5 ton Hino's that you see everywhere in Thailand.
It is crushed rock and not pebbles which I've only seen in small bags in garden centres and I just ordered it from the nearest building supplier to me in Hin Lek Fai, so I don't know if you can get it cheaper anywhere else if you shop around.
The crushed rock compacts down well and it doesn't move much when you drive on it.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

STEVE G wrote:
johnnyk wrote:What size are the 3500 baht truckloads? Pick-up truck or dump truck?
That was for the smaller size dump truck load, those about 5 ton Hino's that you see everywhere in Thailand.
It is crushed rock and not pebbles which I've only seen in small bags in garden centres and I just ordered it from the nearest building supplier to me in Hin Lek Fai, so I don't know if you can get it cheaper anywhere else if you shop around.
The crushed rock compacts down well and it doesn't move much when you drive on it.
Happiness can't buy money
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Where do you too to look and order decorative stones?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

oakdale160 wrote:Where do you too to look and order decorative stones?
There's a place to the north of Cha Am about opposite where that large Outlet Mall towards Tha Yang is that has a fair selection of rocks and boulders for landscaping. ( At least they did have when I was there two months ago. )
They have various types of loose boulders of probably about 40-50 kg each that I seem to remember were 5,000 bt a tonne and individual lumps of stone starting from a few thousand baht ranging up to large chunks of water erroded marble that looked so expensive that I didn't even bother asking!
I didn't buy anything as my back garden wasn't ready for it at the time but I might head back there in a couple of weeks as they did have some stuff that would make a nice centre piece for a garden.