Canine contraception

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Canine contraception

Post by dtaai-maai »

We have a 15-month old male golden retriever and an 8-month old female black labrador who is soon going to be old enough to - you know - do it - have babies and stuff... :oops:

They are totally inseparable and so far the relationship has been platonic. These are Mrs D-M's babies and I try not to interfere, but I really don't want what amounts to a pregnant pup. We took them (one won't go without the other) to the University Veterinary Hospital today with a view to Lucy having a contraception injection, but the vet said they don't give these as they can cause internal inflammation (or something like that).

I'm sure I could find a vet who would do the necessary, but I obviously don't want to if there is a serious health threat.

Yes, I know the obvious answer is to get one or both of them 'done', but I also know Mrs D-M has a hankering for some off-spring in due course - but not now, it's too early.

Any advice appreciated.
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Canine contraception

Post by STEVE G »

We got our female Thai mutt neutered last year. As well as pregnancy, the other problem you have if you don't is that they'll attract all the local dog population in the whole area when they're on heat. The only downside it seems to have had is that she has put on a lot of weight since the operation which I assume is some hormonal issue as we have a male dog from the same litter, they eat the same food but one is now quite a bit heavier than the other.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think Mrs D-M should bite the bullet and forego any dreams of puppies. It will happen exactly when you don't want it to happen, in addition to the issues Steve mentions. I'm not sure how attractive GR/BL pups will be. The coat colors will be mixed for sure and they may just look like another big soi dog....and then problems placing them in good homes. I'm sure she doesn't want any pups to turn into part of the soi dog problem. I haven't researched but good idea to do a Google on GR/BL mixed pups and see what the experts say about appearance and temperament. I've just recently seen a GR/German Shepard mix and it was probably one of the ugliest dogs I've ever seen, and mean to boot.

Have a good talking to the Golden, give him a few beers and then send him off to the bathroom with a copy of Playboy. :shock: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote:We got our female Thai mutt neutered last year. As well as pregnancy, the other problem you have if you don't is that they'll attract all the local dog population in the whole area when they're on heat. The only downside it seems to have had is that she has put on a lot of weight since the operation which I assume is some hormonal issue as we have a male dog from the same litter, they eat the same food but one is now quite a bit heavier than the other.
You need to look up the ideal weight for the breed Steve. If a large breed the female weight will be 15-20 pounds lighter than a male which means she should be receiving at least 1 cup less food per day. If they're feeding both of them the same amount, for sure the female will turn into a tubby, even if she wasn't fixed. Another good tip is to feed them half rations twice a day (morning and evening) instead of all of it at one time. Better on digestion and weight control. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I forgot to mention above.......loads of proof through many years observation by Vets that the long term cancer avoidance benefit for female dogs drops significantly if you don't get her fixed before the first heat. So, if you're going to get it done, now is the time. At 8 months she could be in heat at any moment. Pete :cheers:
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

D-M, the hospital is dead right about the contraceptive injection - our GT, Leah, had 3 of these injections over an 18-month period and these basically killed her at a very young age.

You only have 2 options I'm afraid - keep them separated for around 2 weeks, i.e. during and 1 week after Lucy's menstruation or have her sterilised.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

prcscct wrote:Have a good talking to the Golden, give him a few beers and then send him off to the bathroom with a copy of Playboy. :shock: Pete :cheers:
:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks v. much, one and all. Lucy is going in to have her knots tied tomorrow. Golden Balls remains intact for now.
This is the way
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Our pooch is always garnering attention and Thais regularly ask for puppies. I knew this would happen and the potential profits that could be had but was adamant she would be neutered. Either she is fixed or buy your own dog. The cries not to neuter unsurprisingly stopped. :idea:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, getting them fixed is basically your only option if you don't want pups. Once that urge to mate kicks in, they will do anything they can to satisfy it. If they can't go over the fence, they'll go under it in order to answer nature's call. :laugh:

I learned my lesson back in SA with the doberman I had. To this day I have no idea how she managed it, but she ended up having two litters. One from another doberman, and one from a rottweiler. Fortunately I had no problem finding homes for them, but it did cost me quite a bit of money, time and hassle. Since then, I get my dogs fixed the minute I get the green light from the vet.

BTW........I have been told the same thing about those injections.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

When I had dgs I always gave the bitches a shot of Depo=provera, every 4 months, I calculated the dose according to weight. This is the long term cotraceptive that we use to prevent ovulation in humans.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

You need to look up the ideal weight for the breed Steve.
They're adopted Thai street mutts Pete so it might be a complex formula! The Father was a Pit Bull belonging to a neighbour but the mother is pure Heinz 57 varieties soi dog.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

dtaai-maai wrote:Thanks v. much, one and all. Lucy is going in to have her knots tied tomorrow. Golden Balls remains intact for now.
A wise and sensible decision, DM (which is unusual for you :wink: )

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

STEVE G wrote:
You need to look up the ideal weight for the breed Steve.
They're adopted Thai street mutts Pete so it might be a complex formula! The Father was a Pit Bull belonging to a neighbour but the mother is pure Heinz 57 varieties soi dog.
Understood. I thought from some photos you posted up a few years ago that they were mainly GT or similar. Those were the Issan dogs though and don't know if talking about the same critters now. Anyway as they're from the same litter......weigh the male when he looks at prime/proper weight (you should be able to feel his ribs without difficulty finding them) and then use below chart to calculate amount of food daily. I would then lop off about 10-12 pounds for the female and calculate the food for her. You'll have to wait and see if that formula works in reducing her weight, or needs adjustment. Pete :cheers:

http://www.natureslogic.com/feeding/dog.htm
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:Thanks v. much, one and all. Lucy is going in to have her knots tied tomorrow. Golden Balls remains intact for now.
A wise and sensible decision, DM (which is unusual for you :wink: )

VS
I had no choice, VS - Bee would have given one of the pups to you! :laugh:

Mrs D-M and a friend have taken Lucy to the 'orspital. I'm babysitting Golden Balls, who is already moping. :(
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

dtaai-maai wrote:......Mrs D-M and a friend have taken Lucy to the 'orspital. I'm babysitting Golden Balls, who is already moping. :(
Yes of course, he's already lost one mate. Some things dogs will remember for their entire lives and something like that is one of them. Hope Lucy comes through it OK, I'm sure she will. Just keep an eye on the incision for signs of infection for the next few days. He'll probably send home some antibiotic cream with her. Pete :cheers: