Swimming Pool Pump

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Swimming Pool Pump

Post by PeteC »

A first hand report here. Pete :cheers:

Subject: Hayward Super Pump 2HP
Original cost: 28,000
Usage to date: Approximately 15,000-16,000 hours
Life per Hayward lab tests: 33,000 hours. More practical under real life usage I would say is about 28,000 hours.

Photo:
282_IMG_0774_2.jpg
Problem: Leaking water where the gold motor connects to the black pump housing.
Repair: Replace various seals/bushings
Cost: 2,450

Photo:
hayward.jpg
Conclusion: Shop indicated that this was a normal half life repair and I should be good until the entire thing burns out, probably in about 4-5 years. Reasonable repair cost IMO. Good quality product and I hope they remain so when I need a new one. Side benefit is that the repair has also quieted down the running noise a bit.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Swimming Pool Pump

Post by Nereus »

Yes, that is all good, Pete. The pump seal has a ceramic base with a rotating part usually made from carbon. Life will depend on how much contamination in the form of small grit etc., is in the water, along with the running hours.

The bearings are from the motor end, but how they come up with 3 pieces I am not sure? That is where the noise was coming from. The other thing that shortens the life is corrosion on the frame, which can eventually lead to the windings shorting to ground. Yours appears to be in good condition, but maybe they have painted it.

In mine the pump house does not have good ventilation, which leads to the motor running hotter than it should, and corrosion. I have rigged up a fan that runs with the pump and keeps everything cool and dry. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Majestic Creek

Post by Majestic Creek »

My pool pump is starting to smell of burnt wiring and is getting hot when it has run for a while. Rather than let it burn out totally and have to buy a new one, I am looking to remove it and have it re-built. Maybe I can save it from total destruction?
Is there anybody in Hua Hin area that will provide a re-build service. It is an Emaux pump, and I can swop the jaccuzzi pump over to clean the pool whilst it is being repaired, as they are identical pumps.
Any recommendations, please?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Any recommendations, please?
I have not used him myself, but one of the pool contractors uses him.
Last shop in the block of shophouse in front of Index Mall, heading in to town on Petchkasem Rd. He shares the shop with an automotive guy, so there may be some cars or trucks parked in front of it. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!