Beards?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Beards?

Post by PeteC »

Is facial hair on men now back in style? I ask as I've noticed more and more TV people with a beard or something in recent months. I also have the urge to do something again as we approach Christmas each year! The Santa syndrome I guess. :shock:

I had a well trimmed full beard from 1976 to about 1989 but this time due to the heat here I may just go for some upper lip and chin cover. Maybe we can have a best beard competition on here? :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Beards?

Post by Takiap »

:laugh: You can count me out. I've never had a beard and I never will. :D Even a week's growth affects my mood. In fact, if there was something I could do that would permanently destroy facial hair, I wouldn't hesitate for a second because let's face it; shaving must be one of the most boring chores ever, and especially when you're as sure as I am that you'll never want to grow a beard.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Beards only suit certain people. Someone with a large full face does not suit a beard IMO. If there is "fat" around the chin area it is inclined to sort of enhance the double chin :P
Some beards are strange....
imagesCA0D27U5.jpg
imagesCA0D27U5.jpg (8.15 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I saw that you'd replied on Pete's thread Siani, I thought you were accepting his beard challenge :shock:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Big Boy wrote:When I saw that you'd replied on Pete's thread Siani, I thought you were accepting his beard challenge :shock:
:laugh: :laugh: No BB...Mr S insists I keep mine short with no "Mutton chops" :wink:
ridgeydidge.au

Post by ridgeydidge.au »

Takiap wrote: :laugh: You can count me out. I've never had a beard and I never will. :D Even a week's growth affects my mood. In fact, if there was something I could do that would permanently destroy facial hair, I wouldn't hesitate for a second because let's face it; shaving must be one of the most boring chores ever, and especially when you're as sure as I am that you'll never want to grow a beard.

+1 on that
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

They have this laser hair removal treatment that the girls use for under their arms. I guess you could have it done on your face as well? :shock: I think four or five treatments and the follicles should be dead for life.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I had a beard from about 24 years old to about 45. At times, when the job allowed, it nearly reached ZZ Top proportions, but I got tired of it and shaved it in my mid 40's leaving only a mustache. A few years later after we got married, my wife talked me into getting rid of the mustache as she said it tickled. :naughty:

And Siani, you are wrong about the chin fat with a full beard. Before I had a beard I had a very angular chin with no neck fat at all. After so many years of wearing one I was shocked to find an extra chin only after shaving it off. The beard had actually served to hide this extra flesh, or maybe the weight of the beard over all those years actually caused it! :oops:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I had a moustache for 20 years.One night during a commercial break, my daughter said, you know Dad I think you would look younger without that mustache. I went and shaved it off and never missed a moment of the show.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

prcscct wrote:Is facial hair on men now back in style?
I think so, everyone appears to be rocking a beard and with A-listers like DeNiro, Clooney and Affleck all sporting them on the red carpet, it seems to be the way to go. I'm with Takiap on this one and actually tried to develop an aftershave that would inhibit hair growth as part of my university dissertation. And failed (in my attempt, not my degree :) )

Perhaps the Forum could support the month of 'Movember'? I'm sure many of you have heard about it, it's when men are sponsored to 'compete'with each other to grow the most impressive/amusing/ridiculous moustache and all profits go to support the research of testicular and prostate cancer worldwide. Check it out at http://www.movember.com and find a site in your country that you can get further information from.

The missus claims that I could never grow a satisfactory beard or 'tache because my facial hair is "patchy" but if anyone on the forum is willing to give it - and me - a go in the form of sponsorship then from November 1st until the end of the month (maybe even later :naughty: ) I'd be willing to stick my head in a gro-bag and would also happily sponsor others in return.

Soi Bintabaht wouldn't know what had hit it! :alien:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

ridgeydidge.au wrote:
Takiap wrote: :laugh: You can count me out. I've never had a beard and I never will. :D Even a week's growth affects my mood. In fact, if there was something I could do that would permanently destroy facial hair, I wouldn't hesitate for a second because let's face it; shaving must be one of the most boring chores ever, and especially when you're as sure as I am that you'll never want to grow a beard.

+1 on that
+2 on that

:cheers: :cheers:
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

hhfarang wrote:
And Siani, you are wrong about the chin fat with a full beard. Before I had a beard I had a very angular chin with no neck fat at all. After so many years of wearing one I was shocked to find an extra chin only after shaving it off. The beard had actually served to hide this extra flesh, or maybe the weight of the beard over all those years actually caused it! :oops:
I think that when beard hair is sparse :P The face is chubby :P The beard seems to "hang around" in the double chin section, so emphasizing the fold of flesh in the double chin :? A little bit like drawing a circle under it :? A bit like the chap in the picture below....who is unsuitable for one. Some men suit beards, others do not 8)
[attachment=2]imagesCAMGNW1N.jpg[/attachment]
Another uncool one :oops:
[attachment=1]imagesCANW5SS7.jpg[/attachment]

Now a cool one :)
[attachment=0]imagesCAJAU2HN.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
imagesCAJAU2HN.jpg
imagesCAJAU2HN.jpg (6.55 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
imagesCANW5SS7.jpg
imagesCANW5SS7.jpg (8.31 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
imagesCAMGNW1N.jpg
imagesCAMGNW1N.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Siani, it must be a generational thing, but all the photos you posted that seem to be popular facial hair among young people nowadays I call 5 o'clock shadow.

These are beards like my generation (and I) had when I was young:

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

hhfarang wrote:Siani, it must be a generational thing, but all the photos you posted that seem to be popular facial hair among young people nowadays I call 5 o'clock shadow.

These are beards like my generation (and I) had when I was young:

HHF...I am no spring chicken, believe me :) I remember Noah and his beard :wink: The hairy beards in your models are well...Mmmm...unattractive :P I am not keen on the shadow type of stubble either. I do like a beard to be short and groomed in a casual way 8) I prefer a clean shaven man really. I really hate a long beard with food stuck in it :oops:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

J.J.B. wrote:......Perhaps the Forum could support the month of 'Movember'? I'm sure many of you have heard about it, it's when men are sponsored to 'compete'with each other to grow the most impressive/amusing/ridiculous moustache and all profits go to support the research of testicular and prostate cancer worldwide. Check it out at http://www.movember.com and find a site in your country that you can get further information from.
My daughters international school did something like that last November. All the male teachers participated in a contest for the "best beard in a month", with the funds contributed going to a local HIV hospice. Pete :cheers: