For Wet Shavers

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

For Wet Shavers

Post by sand_dancer »

When I am in Thailand...... I have been using a wet razor called " Vector "..... About 90% of the blades seem to have a small ragged edge that usually leaves a small cut..... So end up going through a massive amount of blades.....

Yesterday I was in Big C..... At a stand beside the checkout was a razor called " Schick "..... 65 Baht for the razor and 3 blades...... Into the trolley it goes.....

Not expecting much.... I used it this morning...... Great, smooth, close shave..... Seems to be a great buy and I will investigate the cost of a packet of blades today.....
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: For Wet Shavers

Post by hhfarang »

Schick is a very popular brand in the U.S.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

hhfarang wrote:Schick is a very popular brand in the U.S.
HHF

As someone who has done a lot of shopping at PX's...... I had never heard of it......

This mornings excursion to Big C...... Netted a pack of 4 blades for 79 Baht.....

If I get through these 7 blades with no ragged edges...... I think I have found a real bargain......
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sand_dancer wrote:
HHF

As someone who has done a lot of shopping at PX's...... I had never heard of it......

This mornings excursion to Big C...... Netted a pack of 4 blades for 79 Baht.....

If I get through these 7 blades with no ragged edges...... I think I have found a real bargain......
How many blades does the razor have - I use a Gillette Mach 3 and whilst they have been around for many years, I find they give me a good shave and one blade lasts me about one month, although about 3-4 times the cost of the Schick ones you mention, assuming they last as long?
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

D-B

[quote]How many blades does the razor have - I use a Gillette Mach 3 and whilst they have been around for many years, I find they give me a good shave and one blade lasts me about one month, although about 3-4 times the cost of the Schick ones you mention, assuming they last as long?[/quote

The one I bought has 2 blades..... I found out this morning that the one I bought is the bottom of the range..... So to speak...... They have 3 bladed models....... I will check out the price of the other models the next time I am in Big C......

In 30+ years of wet shaving..... This 2 bladed thing has impressed me.....
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Another shaving accessory that I have found helps in the past is shaving gel rather than foam. I always buy some when back in the UK and I just find it smoother (regardless of type of blade) than using the Gillette foamy stuff you always see here. Don't know if you can get the gel in HH. And a can lasts for ages as well.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I may have posted this before? Anyway, these work. I bought one in June and my blade cartridges now last 15+ shaves. Amazon sells them and I'm sure on-line at other places. You can save a fortune on blades with this thing. Pete :cheers:

http://www.razorpit.com/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

http://www.schick.com/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

lomuamart wrote:Another shaving accessory that I have found helps in the past is shaving gel rather than foam. I always buy some when back in the UK and I just find it smoother (regardless of type of blade) than using the Gillette foamy stuff you always see here. Don't know if you can get the gel in HH. And a can lasts for ages as well.
Lomu

I always use gel...... Gillette gel is available in HH..... Although it works out about 5 quid a tin......
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I still use the old fashioned Palmolive shaving sticks with a brush, they cost virtually nothing, work very effectively and are much more convenient to carry around than an aerosol can.
In fact if I'm traveling I don't even bother with the brush as you can lather your face with your fingers almost as effectively, I just carry the shaving stick and a disposable Gillette 2 or similar which is a very compact shaving kit.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Palmolive-Class ... B0012XZAKE
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

Steve

When I travel back and forth from work..... I'm a tramp..... I don't carry any washing or shaving gear..... Which is why I started using the " Vector "..... I refused to pay the prices asked for Gillette stuff in HH..... Especially blades.....

My trampesque behaviour started..... When airlines started getting their knickers in a twist over what you could carry in hand luggage.....
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't have any problem carrying disposable razors in hand luggage on flights around Europe and to SE Asia and obviously the shaving stick is solid and doesn't cause any problems at all, I can imagine that it's different in the ME.
As for the price, disposable Gillette 2's cost peanuts in a European supermarket so I've never tried to buy them in Thailand.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

STEVE G wrote:I don't have any problem carrying disposable razors in hand luggage on flights around Europe and to SE Asia and obviously the shaving stick is solid and doesn't cause any problems at all, I can imagine that it's different in the ME.
As for the price, disposable Gillette 2's cost peanuts in a European supermarket so I've never tried to buy them in Thailand.
Steve

I have no idea how much disposable razor's cost anywhere in the world.....

I have a serious aversion to them..... Ever since Bic produced that white handled..... Yellow headed..... Single bladed.....Excuse for a razor..... That left your face looking like it had been attacked by a pack of feral cats.....
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, obviously it's a personal thing, what I have a serious aversion to is paying pounds for razor cartridges that apparently only cost a few pence to manufacture.
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

STEVE G wrote:Yes, obviously it's a personal thing, what I have a serious aversion to is paying pounds for razor cartridges that apparently only cost a few pence to manufacture.
For me...... That aversion to paying way over the odds for ANYTHING...... Is one of the reasons I now reside in Thailand.....

Must be the tight Jock side of me :D :D

:cheers: