Coffee Machines using capsules

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Coffee Machines using capsules

Post by oakdale160 »

[Mod Edit] Split from a different topic.

Not quite on topic , but a question about another machine. There is a new type of coffee maker, uses capsules so no coffee ground mess, the ones I have seen were NESPRESSO, anybody seen them.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Re: Coffee Machines using capsules

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Nespresso machines and capsules have been around for quite a while.

Not easily available in Thailand and at least twice the price as Europe.

Best to buy a machine in Europe and ask friends to bring capsules when they visit. The capsules are readily available online for delivery to any address at about EUR 35 cents each equal to 15 Baht.

Wonderful coffee and a vast array of blends available. Check out their website where you can register as a member online. https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/pages/t ... resso-club

If a coffee lover, once you have tasted Nespresso you will be hooked.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

I am a Tassimo fan. Machines made by Bosch, coffee by Gevalia (I presume aka Jacobs). Excellent variety of Coffees, Teas, Lattes, Espressos, Chocolates and Cocoas. Not limited to espresso cup size, available in different sizes. I prefer this to Nespresso. Probably not available in LOS at an affordable price. Bring from the U.S. or Europe.
http://www.tassimodirect.com/
A friend is only one click away
Crafack
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Crafack »

I have seen a range of machines (of an unknown brand) on the OKay supermarket (on Narathip road in Cha-Am).

Both machines and capsules looked both nice and affordable.

The afficionados (sp?) tell me, that the single most important factor in selecting a brewing apparatus is the pressure used when brewing.

/Crafack
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Crafack wrote:I have seen a range of machines (of an unknown brand) on the OKay supermarket (on Narathip road in Cha-Am).

Both machines and capsules looked both nice and affordable.

The afficionados (sp?) tell me, that the single most important factor in selecting a brewing apparatus is the pressure used when brewing.

/Crafack
That is true for machines making espresso coffee.
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

These machines is great since you don't get the hassle with the grind. And there is some really nice coffee blends available out there. And a machine like that is nice if you want 1 cup of coffee.

But if you get some visitors that you want to give some coffee, it takes ages to make all the single cups.
And if you convert the price for the quantity of coffee in a pod and compare it with regular ground coffee it will turn out to be some really expensive coffee! ;-)

Here in Norway, these machines was very popular for a few years and they sold more than most other coffee making machines, but now most people are back to using drip brew coffee makers.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

What do you mean by affordable, LUNG PER?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

The owner of Coffee Coffee on Pala U Rd is selling his own brand machine at around 5,500 baht and capsules at about 14baht. I bought a CaffItaly machine at around the same price, capsules 18baht a pop. Bon Cafe are also selling a similar machine with capsules at 20baht.

I kept my Saeco machine and use the CaffItaly machine once or twice a day.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

sateeb wrote:The owner of Coffee Coffee on Pala U Rd is selling his own brand machine at around 5,500 baht and capsules at about 14baht. I bought a CaffItaly machine at around the same price, capsules 18baht a pop. Bon Cafe are also selling a similar machine with capsules at 20baht.

I kept my Saeco machine and use the CaffItaly machine once or twice a day.
If you buy one of these machines from coffee coffee are you restricted to buying the capsules off him,or are they interchangeable?? Can you use the nescafe pods in them as well
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

That's one of the setbacks to these machines. Each manufacturer uses a slightly different design to their capsules so you are tied to buying the specific capsule for the machine you buy.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

sateeb wrote:That's one of the setbacks to these machines. Each manufacturer uses a slightly different design to their capsules so you are tied to buying the specific capsule for the machine you buy.
if thats the case,they will eventually give the machines away at a cheap or zero price,and make their money from the capsules,similar principal with mobile phones, free phone but locked in to a specific network.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

There is a Nespresso shop here where I work in Luxembourg and it's right in the center of town where all the high-end boutiques are and where shop rents are tens of thousands of euros a month which leads me to believe it must be pretty expensive coffee!
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

This from the Wikipedia article about Nespresso:
Wikipedia wrote:Cost
Nespresso does not recommend customers to purchase coffee capsules from other sources. As a result, choice of flavours is limited and there is limited competitive downward pressure on capsule prices. Nespresso seeks to position the brand as an exclusive luxury good. The price of capsules in 2011 ranged from US$0.57 to US$0.64 each. For comparison to buying coffee by weight, 167-200 5–6 gram capsules contain one kilogram of coffee (76-91 contain one pound). At 2011 prices the per-weight cost is US$95–114/kilogram (US$43–58/pound). In March 2011, the Swiss discount supermarket, Denner, won a court battle with Nestlé over the sale of Nespresso compatible capsules. The plastic capsules are approximately half the retail price of the genuine Nespresso capsules.
Further down on that page is mentioned some producers around the world that makes compatible capsules at lower prices.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

oakdale160 wrote:What do you mean by affordable, LUNG PER?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/affordable
:D
gtimages
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gtimages »

I have a Nespresso machine here in Hua Hin. I order coffee on their website. Nespresso Thailand and it is delivered to my door.
Best coffee in town. One at a time for me!