Children Swimmingpool Accidents

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Re: Children Swimmingpool Accidents

Post by pdm3547 »

RobinB52 wrote:Sorry to contradict pdm3547 but chlorine is not odourless; as Takiap inferes it has a strong smell - just like household bleach...or swimming pools!!
That's fascinating. Thanks to you and takiap.

The reason I say this is that I finished building a swimming pool complex for a local council (I'm a project manager) and the crew arrived to do the initial dose of the pool.

I was really wary about protective clothing etc, but there was absolutely no odour from the plant. None. When I asked the crew why this was (suspiciously suspecting they were ripping me off!) that was the answer they gave.

The water tested correctly for Chlorine after they'd finished too, and there was no smell in the pool building until people got in and started using it.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dieter78 wrote:Pool chemicals are dangerous. I remember a politician from australia is blind in one eye after a drop of acid for the pool splashed up and got him.
When I was a kid in England in the seventies, the caretaker of my comprehensive school was found drowned in the swimming pool one morning after apparently being overcome with chlorine gas whilst doing maintenance.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote:
Dieter78 wrote:Pool chemicals are dangerous. I remember a politician from australia is blind in one eye after a drop of acid for the pool splashed up and got him.
When I was a kid in England in the seventies, the caretaker of my comprehensive school was found drowned in the swimming pool one morning after apparently being overcome with chlorine gas whilst doing maintenance.
Was it an indoor pool? There have been accidents with chlorine when used in pools in rooms that do not have good ventilation. In some places it is a requirement to have gas detectors in public enclosed swimming pools, along with forced ventilation.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, it was indoor and the place had got filled by chlorine gas, they had to get the fire brigade to go in with breathing apparatus. I was quite young at the time and have no idea of what exactly had caused the problem.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As an aside to the chlorine issue I used to do summer jobs in a frozen food processing plant.
I was enticed in by an engineer and he'd been draining the chlorine. This was a fairly big warehouse and my lungs just stopped. It was like walking into a brick wall.
The engineer was laughing and i didn't know whether to smack him or not right then.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

lomuamart wrote:As an aside to the chlorine issue I used to do summer jobs in a frozen food processing plant.
I was enticed in by an engineer and he'd been draining the chlorine. This was a fairly big warehouse and my lungs just stopped. It was like walking into a brick wall.
The engineer was laughing and i didn't know whether to smack him or not right then.
If it was a refrigeration plant I think that you may find that it was ammonia, Lumo. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Nereus wrote:
lomuamart wrote:As an aside to the chlorine issue I used to do summer jobs in a frozen food processing plant.
If it was a refrigeration plant I think that you may find that it was ammonia, Lumo. :?

That has just reminded me of our crazy science teacher who would open a bottle of ammonia and hold it near your nose if you happened to fall asleep in class. :shock:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact