Merit Making For my Wife's 60th Birthday

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Merit Making For my Wife's 60th Birthday

Post by GLCQuantum »

Great post and pics Big Boy.

My favorite time of year is when the school drives the participating teachers up into the sticks somewhere to spend a couple of days in a school where they, literally, have nothing.

They are much more appreciative than the rich little monkeys that I work with on a daily basis. :D

May I piggyback on your thread and post a few photos, too?

:cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :thumb:

Fantastic effort.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GLCQuantum wrote:May I piggyback on your thread and post a few photos, too?

Please do, this type of visit should be shared, it is good for everybody.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thanks...

I'll see what good ones are in the mix and post a couple. It'll be the first time I've tried posting/reducing/messing around with a photo of large file size so bear with me. Posted plenty of pics - straight from Google mind, that's easy.

Top stuff anyway, BB.

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

This is just a test run to see if I can post photos properly. A few signs of where we went. Beautiful place way up in the mountains of kanchanaburu (edit 2: not sure if that pic was the Kanchanaburi trip now... Maybe someone who can read Thai can assist).
image.jpg
image.jpg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 1692 times
image.jpg
Sweet duty is always the best place to be on a day like this. :D

Edit: hey, it worked! I'll find a few decent photos tomorrow now I know how to post them. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by GLCQuantum on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Some time ago, my darts team used funds to support a school for the handicapped on the by-pass. At home we call it a special school. It is sponsored by the King and has around 240 students age ranging from 7 to 20'ish but with an average mental age of around 9. Many have Down's Sydrome.

Every year in December, we would spend a day there and serve them food which was probably the best meal they had in the year. After the meal, we'd distribute small toys to the boys and girls. A student was picked to get up on the microphone and formally thank us in English. Apart from the food and toys, we used the remainder of the funds to buy what the school asked for. This was usually, cleaning materials, nappies for kids and adults etc etc. Never ever gave money to the school as 'real money' is likely to be abused. I think the King owned the land and donated 30 baht a day for every child there.

The experience is indescribable. I've never seen kids with so little being so appreciative of (from our perspective) a lowly effort. When we left, the kids line the road waving goodbye. An experience that I'll never forget and one of the few times that tears were flowing from my eyes.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Great job Mr and Mrs BB!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Well done B.B. & co.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GN, do you recognise Apache MC from Bangkok? They have a few plaques around the school regarding donations. Mind you, the roads from Pala-U are very bad. It's rough going in a truck - wouldn't fancy it on 2 wheels.

Points 48; Position 20
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Big Boy wrote:GN, do you recognise Apache MC from Bangkok? They have a few plaques around the school regarding donations. Mind you, the roads from Pala-U are very bad. It's rough going in a truck - wouldn't fancy it on 2 wheels.
B.B.,
I have never quite got the motorcycle clubs and it is something that doesn't really appeal to me and like-minded others. The whole Harley and leather waistcoat thing........ However I was very impressed by the organisational power of the Jesters over in Pattaya when it came to fundraising for kids. I attended one of their events several years ago in Pattaya and it was quite impressive. Someone mentioned that they have raised £1Ms for charity to date.
Jesters MC Home Page
Jesters Care For Kids Pattaya
GN.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

That is wonderful BB. Happy birthday to you wife :) She is a star!
Would it be a good idea to post it on Facebook? There may be great response and donations may be given as a result?
Maybe we could tell Jamie Oliver about it and he could feature it in one of his programmes. He is always ready to discuss healthy food for children and I think the chicken and noodles looks to be a winner. The
It makes me cringe when I think of how some kids here in the UK act at meal times, still its not the kids fault....its the parents :?
lizzy

Post by lizzy »

Jungle Aid work with a home for students in a similar area to this but in simpler buildings, unfortunately in less good condition. At present a project is being undertaken to drain a portion of the land to provide a better play area for the children and a better living environment.
They also have hens, pigs, cows and now a few goats. Last year we set up a frog pond to provide another source of protein. Vegetables are grown on a small piece of land near to the Home.
Hopefully I will be able to post some pictures next week.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Offer of gifts for the school have been moved to this thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28655

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm resurrecting this oldie, (actually the theme and sponsorships of the Karen kids started on the forum here back in 2006), as I'm wondering if the Karen Covid stats we see each day on one of Joelle's reports is the same place.

Perhaps not the school, but the associated village? :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The school was taking kids from all over that area, many of the kids walk a long way to get to school. I would guess some, at least must be from the affected village.

Points 48; Position 20