Taleung - what is it?

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Taleung - what is it?

Post by Korkenzieher »

I've pretty frequently come across the word ทะลึ่ง recently. When I look it up, I get 'Boistrously Impertinent', which really isn't that helpful.

It seems to lie somewhere along the 'saucy, cheeky, naughty' line with slightly risqué overtones. Anyone have a more definitive definition?

Kz
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just asked Mrs BB, and she says it means shocked.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Hmm. Taken literally, that wouldn't fit most situations I've heard it, unless it was the kind of tongue-in-cheek 'shocked' one might associate with British sit-coms, say, though I can see how it would work that way. It does seem to be one of those words where context is everything. Thanks to Mrs. BB.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've no idea, but I've tried
the 'saucy, cheeky, naughty' line with slightly risqué overtones
on her, and she says, "No, not like that." :?

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I don't know what would be the most suitable translation but it often comes up when someone has a bit "naughty or saucy" behaviour, this often has a sexual undertone to it. A bit out of what is accepted in normal everyday behaviour or way of talking.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've always believed it to be, and have had it said to me, as it applies to something like a practical joke or a kind of behaviour that is out of the ordinary, but comical at the same time.

Exampled by a Christmas party Saturday night when I went to the car, put on my gorilla masks and Santa cap and then danced with my wife. :shock: :D I got quite a few "taleungs'. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Pete,

I've just put your scenario to Mrs BB, and she still goes with shocked. She says that people were shocked as they had never seen anybody or anything like it before. (no offence meant) She is adamant that nobody had seen it as a joke if they were using Taleung.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:Pete,

I've just put your scenario to Mrs BB, and she still goes with shocked. She says that people were shocked as they had never seen anybody or anything like it before. (no offence meant) She is adamant that nobody had seen it as a joke if they were using Taleung.
So there it is, hypocrites the lot as they were all smiling and laughing. :mrgreen: Just wait until the one this week when they get up there and start to wail karaoke again. I'll 'taleung' them out of their socks. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

'Taleung' would be a comment or a joke with crude sexual overtones.

Example:
A singer on the stage with an extremely short skirt, especially the kind you find at upcountry functions and behaving like the energiser bunny, a comment like 'I wonder if she has underwear on' would be termed as 'taleung'.

If really crude would draw the comment 'too rate'. (As in dirty/ crude)

A gorilla mask would be more 'talok' as in just a joke.
วินเชนท์
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

OK, have consulted with the gods as well as Google translates and maybe we can clear this up.

What Vincent says is correct. The OP ทะลึ่ง TALEUNG means what Vincent says, but if you Google translate it, they say 'saucy'. (Do not put 'saucy' in Google in English as you'll get something totally different :shock:)

In turn, Google has เรื่อง ตลก for joke, and again what Vincent says, TALOK

For 'shock', we get ช็อก which is spelled DTALEUNG

I think I have this right but I'll tell ya.....this process was not easy here trying to get it all straight. I may still be off, I don't know. :? Pete :cheers:
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Cross referencing the options (which I guess would have been the idea in the first place :idea: !) in the Poomsan-Becker 3 way dictionary, the only entry for 'saucy' is taleung (ทะลึ่ง). I'll try it in conversation & see what I get (slapped, probably :o ). The 'boistrously impertinent' variant came from my electronic dictionary, which is usually much more accurate & therefore the one I tend to rely on. Not this time, it seems. :roll:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Korkenzieher wrote: , the only entry for 'saucy' is taleung (ทะลึ่ง). I'll try it in conversation & see what I get (slapped, probably :o ). The 'boistrously impertinent' variant came from my electronic dictionary, which is usually much more accurate & therefore the one I tend to rely on. Not this time, it seems. :roll:
Forgive my ignorance of the Thai, but if you're being 'saucy', aren't you being 'impertinent' in a 'boisterous' way? I know I am! :wink:
This is the way
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Yes! But try getting there from the other direction! :shock:

I'm quite happy with interpretations like saucy or cheeky and VincentD's example is appropriate, particularly from the slightly 'licentious' angle. Infact, licentious behavour might almost be the perfect translation, thinking about it :thumb: . But boistrously impertinent - well, that could mean... almost anything.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Korkenzieher wrote:I'm quite happy with interpretations like saucy or cheeky and VincentD's example is appropriate, particularly from the slightly 'licentious' angle. Infact, licentious behavour might almost be the perfect translation, thinking about it :thumb: .
Agree, if you're having a flirty, laugh with someone with good natured sexual overtones then the taleung comment from either of you is a good thing, as long as it's not barked at you!! If we overstep the mark though, or maybe they mis-interpret something that was meant in good nature and you get a 'too-rate' or a 'nahkiet', then time to smooth things over :D

The good thing about the bar scene is there seems to be an amazingly consistent 'fun tolerance level' in the main, so you know where you stand. I've only been slapped 115 times :wink:

SJ