Ear Wax Removal

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Re: Ear Wax Removal

Post by Big Boy »

No, but the clinic opposite Hua Hin Hospital is very nice, and you could have spent the change on a decent meal in a nice hotel if you want luxury.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:40 pm No, but the clinic opposite Hua Hin Hospital is very nice, and you could have spent the change on a decent meal in a nice hotel if you want luxury.
Is that the one on the Petch Road? Do you know the hours they are open?
Talk is cheap
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:40 pm No, but the clinic opposite Hua Hin Hospital is very nice, and you could have spent the change on a decent meal in a nice hotel if you want luxury.
I do respect the fact that everyone can't afford top end healthcare and has to resort to clinics. To each his own.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I learnt about 'top end' healthcare very early during my stay in Thailand. After many misdiagnosis and thousands of Pounds, I sorted the problem myself with a tube of inexpensive cream, which made the 'top end' doctor storm out of the consultation room in a rage.

My wife was made very ill after being prescribed the wrong tablets (I had to rush her to Petchaburi). I could go on, but I've been there, and would only go back to visit sick friends.

Back to ear wax removal, where do you think the doctors in many of the clinics come from?

Points 41; Position 18
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:20 pm I learnt about 'top end' healthcare very early during my stay in Thailand. After many misdiagnosis and thousands of Pounds, I sorted the problem myself with a tube of inexpensive cream, which made the 'top end' doctor storm out of the consultation room in a rage.

My wife was made very ill after being prescribed the wrong tablets (I had to rush her to Petchaburi). I could go on, but I've been there, and would only go back to visit sick friends.

Back to ear wax removal, where do you think the doctors in many of the clinics come from?
Clinic doctors come from government hospitals that don't pay enough. I have used this Doctor before I know where she went to school and she has provided good results in the past. It's a known entity not some after hours clinic.

Problem is most British can't stand the fact that one must pay for quality healthcare out of their own pocket so they go for the cheapest option. Throw in a weak £ and maybe it's time for them to go back to the NHS and some 'free' Doctor from Pakistan.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bubba1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 pmProblem is most British can't stand the fact that one must pay for quality healthcare out of their own pocket so they go for the cheapest option. Throw in a weak £ and maybe it's time for them to go back to the NHS and some 'free' Doctor from Pakistan.
Mate, we're talking about getting wax out of an ear. In the UK that's done by nurses. Always amuses me that you have to see a Doc here for such a basic task.
Talk is cheap
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

caller wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 pm
Bubba1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 pmProblem is most British can't stand the fact that one must pay for quality healthcare out of their own pocket so they go for the cheapest option. Throw in a weak £ and maybe it's time for them to go back to the NHS and some 'free' Doctor from Pakistan.
Mate, we're talking about getting wax out of an ear. In the UK that's done by nurses. Always amuses me that you have to see a Doc here for such a basic task.
Exactly my point. You are conditioned to expect the lowest level of care at the cheapest cost from the NHS. It doesn't work like that here.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bubba1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 pm Clinic doctors come from government hospitals that don't pay enough.
A very naive assumption. But if a soft seat and a complimentary coffee is worth over 3x the going rate for a basic task, I sincerely hope you're happy.

As the thread says there are many options in Hua Hin to have ear wax removed. Personally I don't need a cushioned seat whilst I'm waiting to have it done. The going rate is 500 Baht. Some places charge more, but I've never heard of anybody coming away disappointed, regardless of cost.

It's a basic task, but if somebody feels happier paying more for the same job, I say best of luck to them.

Points 41; Position 18
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Bubba1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:36 pm I do respect the fact that everyone can't afford top end healthcare and has to resort to clinics. To each his own.
top end health care? It's getting ear wax removed, not cutting edge neuro surgery or a heart transplant :thumb:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not all doctors come from government hospitals. An assumption that you will find to be untrue if you check. A friend's wife was very badly diagnosed at Bangkok Hospital and if it wasn't for a second opinion and treatment at Hua Hin Hospital, she may not be with us now.
My son who was being treated at Bangkok Hospital by a doctor who came from a hospital in Bangkok twice a week. Before he left for the UK, he bought enough medication to last him for 3 months (40,000 baht plus). After showing his doctor in the UK what he was taking, the doctor immediately disposed of the medication telling him that if he continued taking them that he'd get worse and be dead before he hit 50.
Bangkok Hospital has referred patients elsewhere due to their lack of equipment at times.

I had my ears done recently at a clinic on the 'soi with no name' running from soi 94 to the food market. About half way down on the right. Several doctors with different specialities. The latest equipment and for earwax removal they used a machine that sucked out the wax while doing a 'jet wash' at the same time. All went into a machine the size of a small washing machine. I was very impressed. 500 baht!

As for San Paolo, well there are plenty of horror stories about that hospital. When my son had a motorbike accident a few years ago, San Paolo shipped him off to Petcharat Hospital as they didn't have the facilities to treat him.

Enjoy your coffee.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bubba1 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:43 pm Exactly my point. You are conditioned to expect the lowest level of care at the cheapest cost from the NHS. It doesn't work like that here.
A truly ignorant comment. It's actually really good efficiency. You don't need a Doctor to do this task and here it's just a way for hospitals and Doctors to make money.

For another test I need, here I have to have a full blood test, hang around an hour and then see a Doctor. In the UK, I make an appt. to see a nurse at my Doctors surgery. A little bit of blood is taken from the tip of my finger, placed in the relevant hand held machine and 10 seconds later gives me the reading and away I go again. In and out in 5 minutes. Repeat one month later. Efficiency before profit.
Talk is cheap
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

HHTel wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 am A friend's wife was very badly diagnosed at Bangkok Hospital and if it wasn't for a second opinion and treatment at Hua Hin Hospital, she may not be with us now.
Terry, I presume you are talking about Tik here ? It has been discussed on here before, and if it is Tik then once again you have it the wrong way around. HH hospital mis diagnosed her, and as you say, had she continued getting the wrong treatment at HH hospital she would not be here now, she was literally dying in front of you. Bangkok hospital saved her life, to which she was so grateful she wrote a thank you letter in one of the local papers at the time. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I do know about Tik. That was a while ago. This is a different couple and was just last year. Strangely, it was the opposite way round so I guess that's HH Hospital - 1 BKK Hospital 1.

Incidentally the couple I'm referring to here are both Thai.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Unfortunately many of the private hospitals in Thailand have become sloppy and thinking only of how they can invoice as much as possible. It is a shame if you ask me, but I guess a part of the problem is the insurance business. They are the ones driving the prices up.
YNWA
Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 »

Thought this forum had more diversity seems this thread brought out all the skint British.