Have You Quit Smoking?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.

Have You Quit Smoking?

Never smoked in me life
14%
Tried a few times but failed
17%
Cut down a lot
2%
Never tried to quit and smoke like a chimney
2%
Smoked before but quit
67%

Total votes: 66

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Have You Quit Smoking?

Post by hhfarang »

I started trying to quit at about age 30 after watching a close uncle suffer for several years and die a miserable death from emphysema. After many aborted attempts I finally smoked my last when I was 36 having been helped to quit by a two week bout of Strep throat that would send me into painful coughing convulsions with one puff.

Here's the interesting part. I never had any breathing problems until a couple of years after I quit smoking. Then I became allergic to everything and eventually was diagnosed with allergy induced asthma for which I still take two medications daily and I have to have a standby inhaler nearby at all times. When I asked the doctor why I suddenly, in my late 30's, developed all these allergies and asthma he told me it was because I quit smoking. He said the tars and nicotine from smoking had paralysed the sensors in my lungs so that they did not recognize when an irritant was there. After a couple of years of not smoking my lungs cleared and these sensors came back to life and started doing their job. So... I've had asthma and allergy problems ever since! :cry:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I can't believe it was 2012 when this thread started! Are you kidding me?

As the old saying goes...

"Time flies when you're stuck in a Mickey Mouse country with few options out".

All is not lost - I haven't had a single cigarette from the time I started this thread up to now

...I've had about 2,000. :shock:

:banghead:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

GLCQuantum wrote:...I've had about 2,000. :shock:

:banghead:
What's that, around 800 GBP on UK prices - pretty sure you need to stay in Asia!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Let's revive this tread! I'm now into my 3rd. week cold turkey quit smoking! I just decided that I need to quit this stupid life threatening habit. What has helped me a lot is to read the book "Never take another puff" by Joe Spitzer. If you, or someone you know are considering quit smoking, I recommend reading this book. Here is the link to the book, and it's a free book:

http://whyquit.com/NTAP_large_print_212_pages.pdf

Here's Joe's page for those who would like a vast source of information on quit smoking:

http://whyquit.com/
YNWA
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Its so hard for us non-smokers to understand but I have seen so many struggle with it I have a feeling how hard it is. Smokers in the giving-up period say that one small thing is finding some thing to do with your hands, perhaps the damned smartphones can help.
Keep at it, you can do it.
seveneleven
Amateur
Amateur

Post by seveneleven »

Quit in 2012 March.
No regrets, best thing I've ever done for myself.
My only warning to those who want to quit is that quitting is like overcoming a disease, there will be suffering. But the end will come and it is much better after it's over.