Dengue fever in Hua Hin?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Dengue fever in Hua Hin?

Post by richard »

A friend has just been diagnosed with this and yet he has not been anywhere except Hua Hin. Any other members know of it's existence here in HH?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Re: DENGUE FEVER

Post by Big Boy »

When my son had suspected Dengue Fever last year, the hospital were not shocked, and simply asked if he'd walked anywhere rural. We told them that we had our own little bit of jungle in front of the house, and he occassionally runs up to Hin Lek Fire. They just smiled and didn't ask again. They had seen a lot of people in the hospital with Dengue. Fortunately, he didn't have Dengue.

At the time, I did a bit of research into the disease on the net, and it became very clear that it could be caught anywhere that there is standing water - even water standing in the tray holding a flower pot. If the disease is there, it can be caught. However, the risk is usually very localised.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

My wife got it on soi 102 about 4 years ago. Spent time in hospital but have been told that is not neccassary. Wish I new at the time as San Paulo did me for about 120,000 baht !
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It might not be necessary, but the symptoms are so severe, until you know that it's 'only' Dengue Fever, you're grateful for the hospital. At least, I was.

In my son's case, even though he didn't have Dengue, they were very reluctant to release him until he was fully fit. It took a few days for them to be sure that it wasn't Dengue.

Points 41; Position 18
Just lovely
Novice
Novice

Post by Just lovely »

The childrens doctor, Dr Samet , said to us there was Denque in Hua Hin..I presume he would be the first to know.We have increased our number of electric zapppers.the worst thing about the Denque mos ,it bites anytime,not like the regular ones breakfast and dinner.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote: In my son's case, even though he didn't have Dengue, they were very reluctant to release him until he was fully fit. It took a few days for them to be sure that it wasn't Dengue.
BB,

They would. More money from the insurance coffers
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote:
Big Boy wrote: In my son's case, even though he didn't have Dengue, they were very reluctant to release him until he was fully fit. It took a few days for them to be sure that it wasn't Dengue.
BB,

They would. More money from the insurance coffers
A harsh statement, probably meant partly in jest :wink: However, does anybody know how long a full diagnosis for Dengue takes? In my son's case they did the tests a couple of times during his stay to be sure.

Many of us (me included) have criticised Thai hospitals for mis-diagnosis, but in my son's case they were trying to be certain.

Points 41; Position 18
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

The Dengue mosqitoe unlike the malaria carrier bites during the day time. It is present everywhere.
The disease in adults is self-regulating but the danger is its affect on the blood. It lowers the platelet count and this can lead to spontaneous internal bleeding. A blood count must be performed daily and if it is low the patient is not allowed to get out of bed without support.
In the vilages it kills children ata worrying rate.
It is an interesting disease. look it up on the net. There are 4 types of dengue and infection to one does not give protection against the others. But the immune system reacts poorly to infection with one of the others--Its called the 'Original sin" theory.
GOOD news--a vaccine has been developed against 3 out of the 4 types and is being tested now.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

There is an obvious hushed-up outbreak of Dengue fever in Hua Hin. Several of my friends and myself have been hospitalized due to it past couple of months. When my diagnosis was confirmed, Hua Hin Tessabahn was supposed to come and spray not only my hovel, but the whole compound. Later I got a call from Red Cross promising the same.

As of yet nothing has been done no spraying, no further contact. Perhaps during the peak season a hefty dose of Denial(R) or a regimen of Hushup(TM) has been administered?

Well, well, well: http://www.healthmap.org/a.php?1512141& ... =en&pid151
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
m_right
Guru
Guru

Re: Dengue fever in Hua Hin?

Post by m_right »

When one of our family had Dengue the doctors at Hua Hin hospital refused to acknowledge that it was in fact Dengue. They didn't deny it either. The city did spray hour house and area anyway. This was about a year ago and to assume they were trying to avoid publicity. Since then I have heard a number of reports of people coming down with it.
"Religion is What Keeps the Poor from Murdering the Rich" -- Napoleon Bonaparte
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Why would they want to hush it up? After all, this is Thailand, and surely it's quite normal. Certainly in the Hospital where my son was, there was no big secret about the number of Dengue Fever cases they had treated.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was working in Pakistan about 15 years ago and two of my colleagues went down with dengue and they were both very poorly for about a week with heavy flu type symptoms - aching body and no energy. As Dr Mike inferred, there are various strains and if you get a second type after having a different strain first time, it can prove fatal.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I got it about 4 yrs ago here in HH. The (then open) Polyclinic treated me very well & inexpensive. I also (as Dr Mike stated) had to have a blood test every day, & after the 'all clear' was completely sapped of energy for the next 2 weeks..even going to the toilet from the bedroom was a major task.
As this is 'Paradise City' there will of course be no recorded cases of Dengue Fever here.
(despite my doctor admitting 5 children to hospital in the 2 days prior to me going in).
What about the time of year/season..is there a high-season for Dengue outbreaks..??
(I got it just before Songkran).
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

A couple weeks ago a cluster of people were canvassing here on Soi 80 to spread awareness of dengue and dispensing a powder to coat standing water. (They dumped some down the semi-open sewer grate outside my home.) Not sure if they were Red Cross, government/NGO agency, or hospital personnel. Their English was about as good as my Thai, so communication didn't really work, but I got the gist of their effort.

So, I suspect there is at best, a dengue risk, and at worse, a dengue outbreak here in Hua Hin.