Fleas or stuff?

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Pej
Rookie
Rookie

Fleas or stuff?

Post by Pej »

After a week in HH i got over a dozen ~5-7mm red itching marks, on my back mostly.
I have sea-bathed every day but the marks/bites all shoved up the same day. Except for a few on the legs a few days before.

I have heard previosly about sand fleas.
Could it be those? What is your experience?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Fleas or stuff?

Post by dtaai-maai »

Sounds like it, but they aren't sand fleas, they are sand flies. Tiny buggers that leave dozens of bites, mostly on your back, as you say. No idea what they are officially called.
This is the way
Pej
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pej »

Ok, do the appear randomly, since they all came one day. Or is there certain times, or beaches where the attack?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, sounds like the sand flies have had a few meals. I had a huge problem with these when I first moved to HH, almost to the point where I thought I would have to leave. Many of the bites seemed to become infected, but after getting treatment from Dr Samet, the issue went away and has never returned. At the time, I was only frequenting Takiap beach and had never had the problem elsewhere in Thailand.

Whatever you do, try to avoid scratching the bites.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Put Tiger Balm on the spots to take the fire out of them. You won't need to scratch then.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
ItsmeSusan
Amateur
Amateur

Post by ItsmeSusan »

I use coconut oil before I am going to the beach.

Sand flies cannot bite you if your skin is oily.