Just Been Made a Fool By Bangkok Hospital

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Just Been Made a Fool By Bangkok Hospital :-)

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm struggling slightly to understand why anyone, particularly an experienced expat, would buy something without first asking the price.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I understand - he's been here too long and is turning native :D

If Mrs BB asks for something before knowing the price, much to my annoyment, she won't lose face by changing her mind.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:I'm struggling slightly to understand why anyone, particularly an experienced expat, would buy something without first asking the price.
A strange comment that one. Stupid being more on the money :shock:

We aren't speaking about a fake gucci bag or any little golden tuk tuks. We're talking about medication. It's needed in some cases. You don't haggle with the girl behind the counter and then walk off in a huff when they won't go down to the price that you want. If you need it there and then, you also don't pack your bags and go checking other hospitals to see if you can get it cheaper...

It's medication. :wink:

"Excuse me madam, but I need this medication and I want to know if I can get it for under a tenner before I fill in any forms" - would be the most ridiculous thing ever said by a guy who needs some medicine at night.

You fail to surprise me Dtaii Maii. :D Man, you sound like you're scraping the old barrel on your end! :wink:

I got completely ripped off by the buggers but... what option did I have but to pay it. If it was twice as much, I still would have needed to pay it. The cost was the last thing on my mind when I entered the place, but the only thing on my mind when I left :wink:

:cheers:
firegold999
Novice
Novice

Post by firegold999 »

joelle wrote:used to go to bangkok to get our supply of medecine for the heart as they were much cheaper, but I found a great pharmacy in huahin where it is even cheaper than bangkok, the owner is just great, always smiling and very helpful, if she hasn't got any of your requirements in stock she just orders it, she always gives discounts
I had a list of medecine from bangkok hospital which came with a very high bill, refused to take the medicine and went with my list to this pharmacy and exactly the same items were three to four times cheaper (in fact one of them was 70 % less)
saves travelling all the way to bangkok
she is situated in soi 51, on the left if you come from petchkasem road
worth a visit

Hi Joelle;
I'm new on this site. Can I PM with you to find the latest about buying meds in Hua Hin. My family is arriving there in a few weeks and part of the purpose is to stock up on meds we can't get in China.
thanks;
Steve
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Steve,

You can't use the PM function until you've made ten posts. A few more comments on different topics will get you there soon enough. :D

Last edited by GLCQuantum on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buksida

Post by buksida »

firegold999 wrote: I'm new on this site. Can I PM with you to find the latest about buying meds in Hua Hin.
Cant PM until you've made 10 posts, all explained here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10054
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

hi firegold you can pm no problem but as said you need to make 10 posts first
anyway there is not a lot I can say about medecine you will just have to go there and see by yourself if they have what you request
and by the way the pharmacy moved opposite so it is now on the right hand side if you come from petksasem, but you can't miss it it's the only pharmacy in that street
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Just Been Made a Fool By Bangkok Hospital

Post by Takiap »

GLCQ............don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't mind me asking, were the tablets for some or other life threatening condition? If not, why didn't you simply walk away without handing over your money. Also, could you not have sourced your meds from one of the many pharmacies in town? Most will give you prescription meds even without a prescription.

Just curious?

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I have always asked the price of everything in advance in Thailand but have rarely found the up front quote to be anything like the final price.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

dtaai-maai wrote:I'm struggling slightly to understand why anyone, particularly an experienced expat, would buy something without first asking the price.
Yeah not a very well thought out post, it's medication not a fake Rolex.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote:
A strange comment that one. Stupid being more on the money :shock:

We aren't speaking about a fake gucci bag or any little golden tuk tuks. We're talking about medication. It's needed in some cases. You don't haggle with the girl behind the counter and then walk off in a huff when they won't go down to the price that you want. If you need it there and then, you also don't pack your bags and go checking other hospitals to see if you can get it cheaper...

It's medication. :wink:

"Excuse me madam, but I need this medication and I want to know if I can get it for under a tenner before I fill in any forms" - would be the most ridiculous thing ever said by a guy who needs some medicine at night.

You fail to surprise me Dtaii Maii. :D Man, you sound like you're scraping the old barrel on your end! :wink:

I got completely ripped off by the buggers but... what option did I have but to pay it. If it was twice as much, I still would have needed to pay it. The cost was the last thing on my mind when I entered the place, but the only thing on my mind when I left :wink:
Name Taken wrote:
Yeah not a very well thought out post, it's medication not a fake Rolex.
I don't think I took a stupid pill 10 months ago when I made made this brief comment. Nor do I remember suggesting haggling.

It seemed a matter of common sense to me then and it still does now:

1. If you need medication, don't go to the pharmacy in Bkk Hospital, because you'll probably get overcharged.

2. Whatever you're buying, ask the price - if someone wants to charge you 3 times what you know it's worth, "pack your bags" and go somewhere else. If you choose to pay, that's up to you, but no one's holding a gun to your head - there are dozens of pharmacies in HH.

I'm struggling to stay polite, so I'll leave it there.
This is the way
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

" I'm not in the mood to kick up a fuss over a tenner. "

I do agree with them being way overpriced, I went in last year for a procedure that could take 20 minutes, the Doctor told me the best thing to do would be to have the procedure in the afternoon and stay overnight for monitoring, then they gave me a quote of 90,000 baht. I said no, went back two days later and paid 6000 baht for the 20 minute procedure and drove home. They will try to nickel and dime you all they can. If you want cheaper... go to San Paolo. If you want cheaper than that go to the Government hospital Thon Buri Hua Hin Hospital north of Soi 12. You will DEFINITELY get the medicine cheaper there... There are many options in Hua Hin, you get what you pay for.
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I had surgery there earlier this year and was over the moon with the cost and service. Absolutely faultless.

However we have stopped taking the little one there as we are getting sold upon time and time again. The final straw was due to my boy being slightly under weight (and I mean slightly).

I was told by the Dr that if I though he was ill then we could check him in for a blood test. I asked what kind of 'ill' he meant and he replied 'a serious illness'. After I told him that I didn't think he was ill and blood test wasn't necessary the Dr said 'I'll prescribe some steroid based medication that will help him to eat more'. I obviously rejected that also.

Absolutely sickened by the whole thing, I would have reported this if I was back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

jumusman wrote:" I'm not in the mood to kick up a fuss over a tenner. "

I do agree with them being way overpriced, I went in last year for a procedure that could take 20 minutes, the Doctor told me the best thing to do would be to have the procedure in the afternoon and stay overnight for monitoring, then they gave me a quote of 90,000 baht. I said no, went back two days later and paid 6000 baht for the 20 minute procedure and drove home.
It's possible that they were giving you the option to stay overnight because a lot of insurance policies only offer inpatient expenses. I wish they'd give me that option, but apparently whenever there's something wrong with me it's always something that can only be done as outpatient! :cuss:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Pleng wrote:...apparently whenever there's something wrong with me it's always something that can only be done as outpatient! :cuss:
Careful what you wish for.
This is the way