Seasonal Allergies

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PeteC

Seasonal Allergies

Post by PeteC »

Is anyone currently suffering from hay fever or some other kind of nasal allergy? I ask as I don't have a history of it but these past two weeks have been murder for me, and I don't think it's a normal cold. Are we in some kind of flora transition period? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Re: Seasonal Allergies

Post by Gregjam »

Moving to Thailand allowed me to escape the annual torture of hayfever however in recent years I have noticed it returning more and more to the extent that I have to get relief on occasion by taking anti histamine tablets. I have been back for about two weeks and am too noticing the all familiar nasal congestion and eye irritation. I put it down to the influx of foreigners and their gardening habits polluting the air with the associated pollen. In the past even with golf courses established but before this influx I never had any problems but can confirm that at present something is in the air.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

prcscct wrote:Is anyone currently suffering from hay fever or some other kind of nasal allergy? I ask as I don't have a history of it but these past two weeks have been murder for me, and I don't think it's a normal cold. Are we in some kind of flora transition period? Pete :cheers:
I've been pretty sniffly/sneezy and I've noticed amongst friends, not to mention the restaurateurs and street vendors happily sneezing away over everything :)
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've been having problems with a stuffy nose and sneezing for a couple of weeks as well. I have asthma due to allergies so it happens to me periodically, but I haven't kept track to be able to say if it's the same times each year.

At the checkout of Hua Hin Shopping Mall the girl working there sneezed all over me and my counter full of foods a few days ago. She sneezed about 4 times while checking me out, never covering her nose or mouth or even turning away. She did apologize though... :roll:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:Is anyone currently suffering from hay fever or some other kind of nasal allergy? I ask as I don't have a history of it but these past two weeks have been murder for me, and I don't think it's a normal cold. Are we in some kind of flora transition period? Pete :cheers:
I thought it was just me and old age, Pete. I do not usually have a problem with "hay fever". But I ended up going to a Doctor because one ear was blocked up badly. She said there was not much in there and her 1,000 Baht bill achieved nothing! Also tried to sell me anti-biotics after sayng there was no infection!
I get relief for a few hours with 180 mg "Telfast" antihistamine. Also relieves nasal pain and headache associated with whatever it is. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Interesting to see the comments. I'm still up and down like a roller coaster and I can't isolate what may be doing it. Sometimes I'm okay outside, and sometimes (in the same location) I go off like Old Faithful geyser. I'm hoping for a good, strong storm soon and we'll see what things are like after the air is well washed. The anti histamine tablets I have here from another ailment are working, but for no more than 5-6 hours, but instructions say only 2 per day. :banghead: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PooftersFrothWyoming
Amateur
Amateur

Post by PooftersFrothWyoming »

I had a never ending cold - sniffles, sneezes, feeling hot and cold. Misdiagnosed as a mild flu twice. On the third doctor's visit it turned out, correctly, to be dengue fever.
angelicaB
Novice
Novice

Post by angelicaB »

Thanks for the post. It is really hard to have a hay fever. You need to take a rest and take bitter taste medicines.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

A year since the last post but it certainly is hayfever season again. I had a miserable night last night as I had no tablets and first thing this morning got hold of some cetirizine (the one I know works for me) and an hour later relief at last.
Funnily I hardly get the problems when out in Nongplab so cannot but think my original post is near the mark when blaming it on flower pollen in the urban environment.
Are any others finding this too at the moment.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I never suffered from hay fever or allergies in the UK, but the past year or so I frequently get blocked air tubes, that then (if not treated) turn into sinusitis - which is damned painful. I found some great pills called Zyrtec, which I take as soon as I get itchy eyes and blocked sinuses (always on the left side of my face). They work pretty quickly and stop the reaction getting worse.

My symptoms can come on any time of the year. I blame it on the very fine dust, which is around all the time, and those tiny little black flies (I call them ENT bugs) that annoyingly float around in front of your face.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Zyrtec is centirizene albeit more expensive usually. I bought a strip this morning from a local chemist and was asked if I wanted local or brand name. 40 baht for local and it is an identical dosage. Certainly does the trick. My son takes Fexofenadine in the UK and some people prefer loratadine.
They all do the trick and it really makes a difference.
Ultimately it is not a cure which I don't think exists. At least I am not the only one suffering and my sympathies go to fellow sufferers.