Another A- Blood Appeal (Chiang Mai)

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Another A- Blood Appeal (Chiang Mai)

Post by Big Boy »

A bit of a longshot this one, but I've been asked to put out another appeal for A- blood.

A long shot, because the young lady needing the blood is in Rajavej Hospital in Chiang Mai. She is 21 year old Lucy Anne Hill who was knocked off her motorcycle by another motorist. She needs the blood urgently for a life saving operation.

I say a longshot, because of the logistics involved. If you think you might be able to help, the contact name is Darren Burns, and a contact number of +61 484 346507 has been given.

There is already one report of somebody flying from Phuket to Chiang Mai to help.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Re: Another A- Blood Appeal

Post by buksida »

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Another A- Blood Appeal (Chiang Mai)

Post by Big Boy »

We keep getting these appeals every few months. OK, Thais don't have this type of blood to be able to donate, but I would have thought somebody would have identified this deficiency, and made arrangements to have the blood flown in, whenever such an emergency occurs.

In this latest incident, they were talking of transporting the blood the length and breadth of Thailand. How long would that take? Collating and transporting it from maybe a dozen different centres in Thailand would not be easy.

Surely, with the amount of 'insured' holiday makers travelling here annually, the insurance companies could easily make arrangements for this 'Farang' blood to be flown in from a country where it is more readily available (yes i know its rare everywhere). It wouldn't take any longer than travelling across Thailand. Whatever, I'm sure they could fly in enough blood within 24 hours.

How long does it take to get an appeal running, followed by people being told to come back the next day because they're closed and then transported? All very iffy, especially if somebody's life is threatened.

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Are you kidding,flying blood across a border-- unthinkable.

What is a partial answer is a 'Walking Blood Bank" This has been done in some well organised countries. You identify people witha blood type that is rare--keep a record of their contact details and call them up when blood id needed. The problem in Asia is not in the A.B Ab, O system but in the Rhesus + or- system.
A- for instance is carried by 6-8% of the population in most western countries but is very rare in Asia, 0.1% in China--So idealy farang s with Rh -ve blood have to be ready to donate.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote:Are you kidding,flying blood across a border-- unthinkable.
No, I'm not kidding. What is the problem?

I've worked with the army's blood people in Birmingham, and they send blood all over the world for our troops.

Points 41; Position 18
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

The appeal should really be for O- AND A- donors as an A- blood type can receive from an O- donor.