Autism

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
JD
Legend
Legend

Autism

Post by JD »

Anybody got any experience in Autism. Our nipper aged 2 has just been diagnosed as a high functioning autistic. The doctor says that with the correct early schooling and learning routine he should be OK, we were lucky we recognised the signs early.

It would be good (comforting) if we could talk to someone who had experience of such things.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The interesting thing about autistics, is, they usually have a certain gift. My next-door-neighbour has an autistic eldest daughter - the middle daughter has now finished uni and has a good job. I remember that the eldest used to have 'fits' back then but have not been aware of this of late. She could draw cartoon characters on a piece of paper for my kids to colour, and I'd swear if I didn't know better, they were photocopies. They were not.

Nurture them, treat the as normal (with a little bit more attention) and they can be an asset. I spoke with the said 'autistic' daughter just this evening, and you wouldn't think she's autisic. Lovely girl.

They have hidden gifts. Don't put them down.

Nurture.
วินเชนท์
Edd Case

Post by Edd Case »

JD, Here in the UK we have a scheme - Care in the Community - for people with learning disabilities, as part of this scheme I worked in a domicillary setting with 4 yooung adults with profound Autism for 12 years until recently - they are all now into their 30's.
It is most positive that you noticed signs that "things were differant" as so much can be achieve with early diagnosis. Whether it be through routine (reinforced by repitition), dietry programming (Casien free) etc your nipper can learn to deal with his autism before "learned behaviours" etc set in to complicate matters.
Autistic people deal with information differently to the rest of us (as you will hopefully have been told - not the myths about lack of maternal bonding or caused by the MMR vacination) - it is also referred to as the
" Triad of Impairment" which also helps us to understand.
Although I have not a great deal of experience with toddlers can I suggest that you look @ the site www.autismtreatmentcenter.org their Son-Rise programme is achieving some very encouraging results.
Also definitely worth a read are the books by Donna Williams - "Nobody Nowhere - ISBN1 85302 718 9 & "Somebody Somewhere" - ISBN 1 85302 719 7. Ms Williams is herself autistic.
Feel free to PM me - I will try to answer any questions.
Have to go to work now
edd
"The older I get ....the better I remember I was."