Diabetes control.

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
killala
Amateur
Amateur

Diabetes control.

Post by killala »

Hello all.
Shall be landing around July this year (2016) for ,hopefully, permanent living and looking for some advice from you good folk that have health issues!
I am a type 2 Diabetic and have tried all manner of meds including insulin to keep under control. I'm currently on Metformin 2x850 and 1x500mg daily, Diamicron (Gliclazide) 3x30mg modified release daily and a real star of a newcomer which I do know isn't licenced in Thailand, Invokana, 100mg daily. Now, I'm not bothered by the Invokana as I can get that delivered and I know that all others are readily available in most pharmacies but good to know where you locals go for good service and value.
I have another issue which I really do hope to help through diet and lifestyle and that's a real b####r of a disease called Ulcerative Colitis. I currently keep it fairly well under control with Mezavant xl (Mesalazine) 1.2g x2 daily and if I hit a bad patch then x4 for a couple of weeks and that usually settles me down and I remain steroid free.
Any other souls suffering the same and reading this, there's and Indian Generic called Mesacol that works out about a 3rd of the price of Mezavant. Anyone using it?
Look forward to receiving your replies. Thanks.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Diabetes control.

Post by Siani »

I control mine with diet and metformin. Watch the sauces in Thailand and sticky rice. Get a blood monitor and monitor once a week at least. Keep your weight down. Eat salad and veg if possible.
Do not go bare footed, check feet daily for changes.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Even though you are not rgularly on insulin there may be times, for instance if you havean episode of vomiting, where you need it. Oral medsare easy to get here but injectables can be a problem, bring a bottle of insulin.
killala
Amateur
Amateur

Post by killala »

Thanks for that oakdale but my pancreas is making gallons of insulin just not getting around the body! I was only on insulin for 5 weeks a couple of years ago while the blood was getting tested, I had a new Endocrinologist at the time and she's thorough to say the least. It would seem I'm worrying over nothing regarding my diabetes meds it's the other ailment I have that may well end up giving me grief. Thanks a million for the post.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

OK, but it is avalid point for all visitors and ex-pats--injectables are not easy--if you are using them be sure that you have a Drs prescription and take on old bottle with you to the store, even then they may insist on a Thai Drs prescription.
killala
Amateur
Amateur

Post by killala »

A new slant on an old post.
Due out next month for some full time living and there's been a change in my Diabetes status. I'm still a type 2 and my pancreas is churning out the insulin but it's not getting to where it needs to be and as a consequence I'm back on the Insulin pens, both Apidra and Lantus in fairly healthy doses.
Can anyone please throw some light on the availability and cost.
Thanks
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Google produced:

"Lantos at 1250 bath per pen and Apidra at 450 bath" available at Boots the Chemist and other good pharmacies.

The info is not from experience, just a quick google search. Perhaps someone will come up with a better answer.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

bring plenty of strips for your monitor
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Thai love their sugar and rice. Sugar gets put in things you would not expect to have it. I ssuggest you stipulate no sugar when ordering food.
killala
Amateur
Amateur

Post by killala »

Jeepers that's expensive. Some serious thinking to do here, I'm doing a pen and a bit of lantus and one and a half of apidra per week.
Thanks all...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Your best bet killala is bring a supply with you, and visit a doctor (not Bangkok Hospital as their meds are expensive), and ask for an alternative as soon as possible. I was paying 50 Baht/day for one of my tablets - a visit to Petcharat Hospital, and asked if there was anything cheaper. The doc looked it up, and advised me to start taking a tablet, which costs 300 Baht/100.

If you don't ask, they'll leave you on your existing meds. There are often cheaper alternatives.

Funnily enough, the vets put our biggest dog on exactly the same tablet/dosage that I couldn't afford for myself. I took my new tablets and told the story. They said that they had never heard of this tablet, but give it a go. On her last blood test, her results were the best they'd been for 16 months.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
killala
Amateur
Amateur

Post by killala »

How's things Big Boy.
The problem extends to the fact that Insulin has to be kept refrigerated and a relatively short shelf life. Not a user friendly med at all so bringing a long term supply isn't an option. Have been on the usual oral meds for the last 10 years and they can be had for pennies but they no longer seem to be having the desired effect hence the bloody Insulin. Rock and hard place etc. Looking at a rough cost of 250 euro per month (10k baht) just for the insulin I have another ailment which requires an expensive option also. Thought we'd allayed all doubts about Thailand but they seem to be rearing the ould ugly heads yet again!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, plan B - go to your GP now, explain the cost of your current drug in Thailand, and ask for a cheaper alternative (or even a couple of alternatives). Your GP will have exactly the same books as the doctors here, but won't get the same kickbacks for prescribing a cheaper drug.

I used to be on insulin, but I don't remember not being able to bring large quantities with me. I do remember some patients however, having to pick up their specially prepared (chilled and insulated) insulin packs for transport to their holiday destination. I can only conclude some insulin does, and some doesn't need chilling. Plan C - Can you not arrange a similar transit pack?

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just read back through your posts killala to see where you are coming from. You're coming from the UK, so will be entitled to 3 months supply of medication (6, if you've got a nice GP) together with any emergency stocks that you've built up in anticipation of your move :wink: , and the insulin packs should be available from your local Diabetic Clinic. At least that was the NHS when I left just over 4 years ago.

Points 41; Position 18
killala
Amateur
Amateur

Post by killala »

Ah, actually I'm coming from Ireland and I have 3 monthly repeats and can get 3 months supply to bring with me but I don't know of anyone that makes a cold travel pack that big!
But 3 months supply won't help too much.
I have to see can I get back on my oral meds and with regular excercise ( which I don't take now) hopefully I can keep things under control.