Jeffery RC Hobbie Shop

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Jeffery RC Hobbie Shop

Post by Nereus »

Bit of a shock today, although some of you may already be aware of it. The last time I called in to see Jeffery about 6 months ago, the shop was closed. Usually his wife, Joy, is there as she runs a little restaurant. I did not think anymore of it, as there was some group he was a member of that he used to go to.

Stopped by today and Joy says Jeffery had an accident and is sick. Well, a few more questions and it turns out that he had a stroke about 6 months ago. She claims that he understands what is going on, knows who people are and can still get around.
She took me to see him and it is heart wrenching to see him. He is in a vegetative state, and although he was sitting up I am sure he has no idea about anything anymore. He was such a nice friendly bloke, always helpful and cheerful.

The poor woman is at her wits end about it all. She is praying that the Doctors can do something for him, but I doubt it very much.

As an aside this type of thing is just another drawback of this country. Buy bloody billion Baht submarines, but cannot provide a basic medical cover for the population.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Jeffery RC Hobbie Shop

Post by handdrummer »

If there is a decompression chamber in Thailand he can be helped. It's been used to reverse stroke damage.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's called a hyperbaric oxygen chamber.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That sounds like the beast Bangkok Hospital wanted me to sit in for a week to help a toe wound heal. It is in Bangkok - we didn't get any further than establishing that - the toe healed itself.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Had your toe been beyond self-healing that would have worked. A friend wife in Florida, with cancer of the outer ear, used it and it stopped the growth. There are lots of articles online about the machine.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ok, thanks. I will look into it.

It is my understanding that once brain cells die because of a lack of blood flow /oxygen, that they cannot be recovered.
He does not show any disfigurement as seems to be common with strokes, but I guess it depends on which part of the brain is affected.

Evidently some time, like several hours, elapsed before they got him to a hospital. The people that were there with him did not realise what had happened, and in trying to help him got him up walking him around, as I was told.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Jeffery did not have a stroke. He had a brain aneurysm. The blood vessel burst while he was out flying planes.

He's had 3 operations to stop the bleeding, all within the first 72 hours.

Unfortunately the damage is done.

He's making progress but very slowly.

I did not post anything when it happened because I didn't think anyone here knew him.

He's a wonderful man and his wife is amazing.

She's doing the best she can to help him.

BTW, no amount of insurance or money would have helped in this situation. Speed of care is the only possibility.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, firstly I wish that you had bothered to post about it.

Secondly: he DID have a stroke! There are two main types of strokes:

Ischemic stroke occurs as a result of an obstruction within a blood vessel supplying blood to the brain. It accounts for 87 percent of all stroke cases.

Hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a weakened blood vessel ruptures. Two types of weakened blood vessels usually cause hemorrhagic stroke: aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations(AVMs). But the most common cause of hemorrhagic stroke is uncontrolled hypertension (high blood pressure).
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

ERs talk about 'The golden hour" if you can get to a good ER within an hour of having a heart attack or stroke, then there is a chance to avoid long term damage. After an hour, much less chance.
Taking a 'baby aspirin" (81mg) once a day is helpful in avoiding both. It is a mild anti-coagulant and lessens the chance of clotting in veins. It is often ignored as it is so cheap, but studies have shown it is useful. I buy them from the pharmacy next to the Japanese pastry shop in MV.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Vit. D, Vit. E, Fish Oil, Omega 3's, Garlic, & Chocolate are natural anti-coagulants.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:47 pm Taking a 'baby aspirin" (81mg) once a day is helpful in avoiding both. It is a mild anti-coagulant and lessens the chance of clotting in veins. It is often ignored as it is so cheap, but studies have shown it is useful. I buy them from the pharmacy next to the Japanese pastry shop in MV.
That is certainly the hype, and I agree it might help some. However, I was taken off them by my doctor in the UK, and it was confirmed with a second opinion. It seems the downside can far outweigh any benefits in the event of an incident for some.

I guess its as with most things, don't self prescribe, get a medical opinion first. You might be harming yourself.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:47 pm ERs talk about 'The golden hour" if you can get to a good ER within an hour of having a heart attack or stroke, then there is a chance to avoid long term damage. After an hour, much less chance.
Taking a 'baby aspirin" (81mg) once a day is helpful in avoiding both. It is a mild anti-coagulant and lessens the chance of clotting in veins. It is often ignored as it is so cheap, but studies have shown it is useful. I buy them from the pharmacy next to the Japanese pastry shop in MV.
It is true that the golden hour is often quoted, more so with trauma injuries. The general consensus regarding strokes is that 3 hours is definiately the time limit, although it will depend on which type of stroke has occurred.

I was diagnosed with a heart problem a little over 10 years ago. The cardioligist prescribed aspirin and fish oil. I take one 100mg tablet called "Cardiprin" every day, plus 3 x 1,000mg capsules of fishoil. The aspirin is cheap enough, but you need to shop around for the fishoil, as the price is a rip off in many shops.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Aren’t we drifting off subject, this was specifically about a guy called Jeffery who was unfortunate enough to have had a stroke/brain aneurysm, rather than medicines which may help prevent it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I thought that initially, but when you read the OP, the final paragraph opens it up for wider debate. However, Nereus has started a seperate thread about taking aspirin as a possible preventative measure.

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:34 am I thought that initially, but when you read the OP, the final paragraph opens it up for wider debate. However, Nereus has started a seperate thread about taking aspirin as a possible preventative measure.
Yes, I should have started another thread previously. Please move the relevant post to the new thread. :cheers: