Quick briefing please on health insurance

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Quick briefing please on health insurance

Post by uncle tom »

I'm meeting my MP at a social event tomorrow morning and my prime intention is to raise the iniquity of state pensions being frozen for expats.

However, I also want to be up to speed on the subject of health insurance for retirees.

So a couple of questions:

1) Are there any health insurance schemes that will stand by their customers if they develop chronic conditions - or do they all exclude pre-existent conditions at renewal?

2) What is the current score for people over 80? Are there health schemes available that are comprehensive, and if so, what is the typical cost?

Health and pension provision for expats is brought into sharp focus by Brexit, which my MP supports. As there will be little appetite for leaving those who have retired to the EU worse off, there seems scope for improving the lot of those who have retired beyond the EU..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Big Boy

Re: Quick briefing please

Post by Big Boy »

As far as I know there is currently nothing, although this scheme posted by Papaya plans to get there viewtopic.php?f=24&t=36408

However, they seem to be running into obstacles at the moment, and 'older people' will have to wait until they get enough youngsters signed up to make the scheme feasible. It seems the intentions were great, but they are now encountering reality.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Uncle tom I’ve looked into the problem of health insurance when in Thailand and have come to the conclusion that my pre existing conditions make it almost impossible to get decent cover whilst there.
There are so many get out clauses written into the small print, which would mean I would end up paying big time, should I need hospital treatment.
I decided long ago, that it’s better to have sufficient funds in country to cover most eventualities, rather that pay huge premiums for health insurance there.

Of course there may be companies willing to cover certain conditions, but I’ve yet to find a policy that would be any good to me.
Having been hospitalised in Thailand in the past, we found that cash is king and gets the job done.
That is just my personal opinion of course.

As for the expat pension freeze, good luck with that. 👍
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

AA insurance, a forum sponsor organised a policy for me with CIGMA. Pre-existing conditions are excluded and I have agreed a £5000 excess but I feel the policy is good value. I agree with the sentiment that it is good to save cash to eventually cover future health costs but I felt that modern cancer treatments would rapidly drain my and most other people's resources.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Thanks for that - is there anything for the over 80s - or are they entirely on their own?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Apparently the one I quoted will not have any age limit.................................... eventually.

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm just curious about the frozen expat pensions thingy. Are British retirees denied a state pension if they chose to live abroad as an expat?

If so, then all I can say is shame on the UK government. :shock:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, we receive a state pension, but it stays the same amount until we die.

Points 41; Position 18