Pain meds

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Pain meds

Post by migrant »

Hi All,

As I accumulate info for the future move full-time, I thought about one thing that affects me.

Do to a rather active youth, I suffer from chronic pain. Too young for the knee, and shoulder, replacements.

My doctor here gives me a rolling prescription for vicodin. Generally I go through about 30 a month, but he warns me that with age, that will probably go up.

Tried numerous other options, and, for me, this works best. Takes the edge off the pain after a hard day for sleep.

I imagine, due to the other, looser areas, in Thailand I should have no problem finding a doctor for these prescriptions (would like to keep it legal). My trips over, I always took my own, but when I am there full time, obviously can't.

Anyone experience problems with this?

Thanks!
pookie

Post by pookie »

One good thing about going to a GOOD pharmacy in Thailand is they are not bad in rooting out the generic equvilent for you
In this case its dihydrocodeinone and probably cheap as chips too, if produced in Thailand...........not so good if it has to be imported

HTH

Pookie
The views expressed here are my own.......and bloody good they are too !!!! :)
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

pain med

Post by H2ODunc »

Rookie, the beauty of being in Thailand is if you need medication then you only have to go to the pharmacy. If you know the name of the drug then they will sell you it or the Thai generic equivelant very cheap and no doctor. Have you tried Volterel emugel? I used it when I had a back injury and it beat everything I had tried before. By the timr you had rubbed it in and put the cap back on the pain was gone. Hope you get sorted Dunc :thumb:
donintheusa
Novice
Novice

Post by donintheusa »

I have been picking up antibiotics at the pharmacy for years. $1 for 1 supply. It works great and saves a bunch from the U.S. rip off prices of the giant pharmacy companies. However, I was unaware that you could get pain medicine without a prescription. Are you sure about that? Or is it that you just see the doctor on staff at the pharmacy.
housedoctor

Post by housedoctor »

No doubt you will eventually find a pharmacy that will give you anything you want. But be very carefull with what you take and the circumstances under which you take the medicines. Vicodin & its generic equivilent is a prescription opiate drug & must be taken with care. It is unusual for this type of drug to be prescibed for long term use due to it's habit forming tendancies. There is also the the possibility that with long term use you may have to increase the dose to maintain positive results thus impacting on age related problems. Discuss your intentions with your GP before coming to LOS.