Dengue fever

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Mart

Dengue fever

Post by Mart »

I know of three reported cases of Dengue fever occuring in the last couple of weeks in the Takiap area, close to the Baan Thai resort.
All three cases ended up in hospital.

Dengue is spread by the day biting mossie, so put plenty of repellent on.

Mart
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's much more on here about Dengue and other yung borne diseases. Type Dengue in the search window. :cheers: Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yeah, the illegal Burmese workers brought it in. And malaria?
Nothing like blaming someone else.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote:Yeah, the illegal Burmese workers brought it in. And malaria?
Nothing like blaming someone else.
I remember that from the older posts. I guess the mosquitos hitched a ride in their hair or swimming in their water canteens, as it can't be spread person to person, nor can malaria. Smart 'squitos, why fly when we can ride?

They blamed farangs for HIV also Lomu. Not "foreigners" but specifically "farangs"..us white guys. No mention of the cross border brothel trade the locals participated in for generations. :roll: Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

That's about right, Pete.
Never accept responsibility :shock:
Muppets, arn't they?
Gutte

Post by Gutte »

prcscct wrote:
They blamed farangs for HIV also Lomu. Not "foreigners" but specifically "farangs"..us white guys. No mention of the cross border brothel trade the locals participated in for generations.:roll: Pete
I think they may have stopped blaming us for HIV now, Pete, and gone to the other extreme.

When I applied for a one-year "O-A" visa in the Thai Embassy in Stockholm a couple of years ago, I had to prove that I didn't have certain diseases. Among them were stuff I thought nobody had had since the Bible, Leprosy and a few others I can't even remember. But they did not want to check for HIV. When I asked why, the answer was that Thai research had determined that western "sex tourists" had nothing at all to do with the spreading of HIV in Thailand. It was not even possible to measure.

This may sound "good" at first, but in reality it is of course exactly the contrary. The Thais spread it within Thailand and tourists bring it back to their home countries.

Sorry, I just realised this was a bit off topic. But never mind, I hope... :?
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

An update on dengue fever from the UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office web site:

Since January 2005 the number of reported cases of Dengue Fever in Thailand, and in particular Southern Thailand has increased sharply. There have been several thousand cases and some deaths.

On 23 July 2006, the Thai Ministry of Public Health declared four provinces in the upper Central and lower North regions of Thailand as "red zones" for Dengue Fever.

These include Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Sawan, Phichit and Uthai Thani provinces. You should take particular care if travelling to these provinces.

The rainy season, which is the peak season for dengue fever, is May to October. You should take adequate precautions against being bitten by mosquitoes.

Detailed information about dengue fever is available on the WHO website:

http://www.who.int/topics/dengue/en/

and the National Travel Health Network and Centre website:

http://www.nathnac.org/pro/factsheets/dengue.htm
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The rainy season here Jaime has been monumental. The coastal areas have not seen much, but inland sure has. The Chao Praya river is about to inundate the whole of Bangkok. I saw news film tonight that the river is lapping at it's highest boundry ever. I'm not surpirsed about any water bourn diseases this year.

I need to correct myself concerning a previous post I made on this thread. I've learned since posting it that a person already having dengue, who is bitten by a mosquito again, the mosquito takes on the virus and can then pass it on to others through a bite.

This makes sense concerning the Thai authorities saying the people coming in from Burma or Cambodia or wherever, may have increased the problem. Pete
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

It would seem that there does seem to be a problem with the Dengue Fever in the Jungle area's of Burma/Thailand.
While I was in Koh Samui in June, there was a story in the local paper of a young 22 year old Irish boy that had been trekking around. Burma/Thailand jungle area's for 12 months, and contract the disease on the last stage of his journey. He ended up dying in a Thailand hospital (he was to sick to travel back to Ireland) 2 weeks after being diagnosed.
It was written that he had taken all known precautions (strongest possible that were available), but this particular strain he contracted was imune to whatever he had taken.
:cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Chelsea, there are no preventative measures you can take against dengue fever, other than avoiding being bitten.
duan

Post by duan »

A pal of mine caught a bad dose of Dengue fever following a cricket sixes trip to Chang Mai a couple of years ago. He ended up in hospital in the UK in a pretty bad way but fortunately fully recovered.