Another newb'

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
Papa Goose
Rookie
Rookie

Another newb'

Post by Papa Goose »

Hi all,

I've been coming to Thailand for many years and was in HH last xmas and new year and loved it, and we were thinking about coming back this year. But... Like mugs we decided to go for something different so I'm sitting in Langkawi wondering why oh why did we do that :banghead:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Another newb'

Post by Dannie Boy »

Papa Goose wrote:Hi all,

I've been coming to Thailand for many years and was in HH last year and loved it. Like mugs we decided to go for something different so I'm sitting in Langkawi wondering why oh why :banghead:
Oh well at least you now know where to go next year!! Anyway make the most of it and happy new year :cheers:
Papa Goose
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Papa Goose »

That's just what my wife said...lol.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Great wee story! See you next year :)
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Hi and welcome.

Personally when I went to Langkawi about 6 years ago I loved it and nearly went back 2 months ago for my visa run but I could not get the accommodation I wanted. But i intend going back.

Presumably your accommodation is paid for up front ? If not jump on the ferry, take the overnight sleeper train, and wake up at Hua Hin train station. And not expensive. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Papa Goose
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Papa Goose »

After day 3 I was considering it, but your right we paid for the apartment when we arrived and a car for 2 weeks too. Then we have the flights, as we are routed Langkawi - Singa, Singa - Zurich. It's not that Langkawi is bad, it's ok.... just not as good as Thailand.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Papa Goose wrote:After day 3 I was considering it, but your right we paid for the apartment when we arrived and a car for 2 weeks too. Then we have the flights, as we are routed Langkawi - Singa, Singa - Zurich. It's not that Langkawi is bad, it's ok.... just not as good as Thailand.
I think I know what you mean about it being ok but not as good as Thailand. I spent my honeymoon in Penang and whilst it was ok and felt Asian, it somehow felt quite different to Thailand - I don't think it was the Muslim influence as they are fairly open there, but I certainly wouldn't feel happy living there - mind you it was only a week so not fair to make direct comparisons.
Papa Goose
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Papa Goose »

I understand what you mean Dannie, my 1st Thai trip was Pattaya in '95 for a week and I really didn't like it much, but we left there and spent 4 days in BKK, then 2 weeks in Koh Samui and I was hooked. Since then I have been back to BKK, Chiang Mai, Phuket twice and HH last year. I am warming to Langkawi, but I just don't love it like I do Thailand.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Big difference between Penang and Langkawi Danni Boy. Langkawi is a palm tree lined white beach with rersorts right on the beach. Good place for a honeymoon I reckon.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Pagey wrote:Big difference between Penang and Langkawi Danni Boy. Langkawi is a palm tree lined white beach with rersorts right on the beach. Good place for a honeymoon I reckon.
Probably right and the annoying thing is that I was originally looking to book Langkawi and then for unknown reasons, ended up booking Penang :cuss: