New member from Noumea

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

New member from Noumea

Post by Dianne »

I am currently living in New Caledonia, a French Island not far from the east coast of Australia. It is a beautiful place to live but I find things are getting to be a little too predictable. I need a new adventure. On my last visit to Thailand I found a place to rent 10 km south of Hua Hin and I will be there for 6 months starting in Nov. Reading your forum has been so informative that I don't really have any questions right now. I just want to say hello. I am looking forward to meeting many of you. I am an American, who has lived in french speaking countries most of my adult life, so if there are any french speakers among you I hope to meet you, too. I like reading, sailing, quiz nights, playing Bridge, some golf though I'm not very good at it. Mostly, I just like meeting people and discovering new things.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: New member from Noumea

Post by dtaai-maai »

Welcome to the forum, Dianne. If you have the time and the inclination, it would be fascinating to hear about expat life on New Caledonia.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Welcome Dianne, I visited the neighbor island country of Vanuatu on a scuba diving holiday back in 1990. The diving was great there so I bet it's good in New Caledonia as well. Do/did you dive?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dianne »

Dianne wrote:I am currently living in New Caledonia, a French Island not far from the east coast of Australia. It is a beautiful place to live but I find things are getting to be a little too predictable. I need a new adventure. On my last visit to Thailand I found a place to rent 10 km south of Hua Hin and I will be there for 6 months starting in Nov. Reading your forum has been so informative that I don't really have any questions right now. I just want to say hello. I am looking forward to meeting many of you. I am an American, who has lived in french speaking countries most of my adult life, so if there are any french speakers among you I hope to meet you, too. I like reading, sailing, quiz nights, playing Bridge, some golf though I'm not very good at it. Mostly, I just like meeting people and discovering new things.
hhfarang wrote:Welcome Dianne, I visited the neighbor island country of Vanuatu on a scuba diving holiday back in 1990. The diving was great there so I bet it's good in New Caledonia as well. Do/did you dive?
. Yes, the Lagoons of New Caledonia are on the World Heritage list so the diving is beautiful. The landscape of New Caledonia is totally different from that of Vanutau. Especially outstanding are our pine trees, kind of like Norfolk pines. I do dive but but I'm just as happy with a good snorkel.
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dianne »

dtaai-maai wrote:Welcome to the forum, Dianne. If you have the time and the inclination, it would be fascinating to hear about expat life on New Caledonia.
There really aren't many expats in New Caledonia; mostly French people who come for a while to work. Some stay and some go back home. The quality of life here is exceptional. The weather is perfect. 70 degrees C is the year round average. Everywhere you look you see beautiful scenery. The visibility is so good it is the first thing you notice when you come back from a trip. French quality health care, good food, roads, parks, we have it all. The emphasis here is on sports and music as a way to integrate the metropolitan and Kanak communities. So were is the draw back? The cost of living and the distance from the rest of the world. Living here costs at least 10% more than in France. Coming here is so expensive and the trip is so long that you hardly ever have visitors from home. Also, the population is so small you see someone you know almost everywhere you go. The good thing is that most of the people here love it because they didn't they wouldn't stay!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

70 degrees C is the year round average
Better keep well away, hhfarang! :shock: :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Kung-Fu Hillbilly
Novice
Novice

Post by Kung-Fu Hillbilly »

Dianne wrote: It is a beautiful place to live but I find things are getting to be a little too predictable.
Ordered predictability is one of the banes of my western existence and I understand completely your frustration. Add to that the sterility of life in the west and I often feel like I'm some background extra trapped in an eternal Australian Dorris Day movie when I'm back.
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dianne »

Nereus wrote:
70 degrees C is the year round average
Better keep well away, hhfarang! :shock: :rasta:
Whoops! I meant 27 C !
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dianne »

Kung-Fu Hillbilly wrote:
Dianne wrote: It is a beautiful place to live but I find things are getting to be a little too predictable.
Ordered predictability is one of the banes of my western existence and I understand completely your frustration. Add to that the sterility of life in the west and I often feel like I'm some background extra trapped in an eternal Australian Dorris Day movie when I'm back.
Nice to know there is a kindred spirit out there!
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Visited Noumea twice in the early 80's when we were on a ship back from Australia.
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dianne »

moja wrote:Visited Noumea twice in the early 80's when we were on a ship back from Australia.
Things must have changed a lot since then. Come back again!
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

bienvenue sur le forum dianne, beaucoup de français résident dans la région, il ne devrait donc pas y avoir de problème pour faire connaissance avec l'un ou l'une d'entre eux
très belle journée de 1er mai et peut-être à bientôt
Attachments
muguet.jpg
muguet.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Kung-Fu Hillbilly wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :agree: Western thinking in a nutshell. One of the beautiful things I like about living in an eastern culture is...one should never make plans or if you do, make several plans as life is unpredictable and for me more enjoyable :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dianne »

joelle wrote:bienvenue sur le forum dianne, beaucoup de français résident dans la région, il ne devrait donc pas y avoir de problème pour faire connaissance avec l'un ou l'une d'entre eux
très belle journée de 1er mai et peut-être à bientôt
Merci pour la reponse et c'est cool le muget qui viens de si loin.
Dianne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dianne »

richard wrote:
Kung-Fu Hillbilly wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :agree: Western thinking in a nutshell. One of the beautiful things I like about living in an eastern culture is...one should never make plans or if you do, make several plans as life is unpredictable and for me more enjoyable :cheers:
I am loving all this encouragement. I think I am coming to the right place!