New to forum - considering retirement locations

New members login and say hello here. Please read our Forum Starter Pack and Terms and Conditions before posting if you are new to this forum.
void
Rookie
Rookie

New to forum - considering retirement locations

Post by void »

Hi All,

I just joined the forum and I am posting for the first time.

I'm a westerner with a Thai wife. We have been married for over a decade, we are both engineers and we work in Europe - both of us have engineering jobs. My wife's family is located in Phuket and she owns a house there (which she rents out).

I retire in 2.5 years, and we are contemplating retirement in Thailand. I lived in Phuket for 2 years back in the late 1990s , and have visited there over a dozen times since. But I've never been to Hua Hin.

Until recently I had thought about retiring in Phuket. During my last visit to Phuket my wife andI were noting how commercialized it was, and how heavy / bad the traffic had become. Hence we decided to check out other areas in Thailand for a possible retirement location other than Phuket. Thus we plan to spend this week in Hua Hin (checking out the area) before we head back to Europe. While we may look at some real estate, we don't (at least I don't) plan to buy just yet.

Many decades ago I lived in Cocoa Beach, Florida for a year, living in a Condo on the beach (on 6th floor). I liked the life of a condo right on the beach, and hence I'm curious if the same kind be found (without breaking the bank) in Hua Hin. In Phuket, that sort of possibility (of a condo on the beach) is not really possible. My wife has different views (she prefers a Villa) so we have to sort out our own different views and come to a compromise. Of course with me being 60, hospitals and a good infrastructure are important, and I understand that is in place in Hua Hin.

Anyway, there is my 'hello' post and best wishes to the membership.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: New to forum - considering retirement locations

Post by Lev »

Welcome aboard, have a read of this to get you started on the forums: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10054

This link will give you a good idea of real estate in the area: http://www.propertyhuahin.net/
void
Rookie
Rookie

Re: New to forum - considering retirement locations

Post by void »

Lev wrote:Welcome aboard, have a read of this to get you started on the forums: ...

This link will give you a good idea of real estate in the area: ...
Thanks. I've been here in Hua Hin for a couple of days and I'm starting to get some 1st impressions. My impressions may be 'tainted' by previous experience and expectations. I'll post separate wrt impressions and questions.

One sense I am getting, even as someone who has lived in Thailand before (I lived in Phuket for 2 years) is it makes sense to rent here for a few months before making any longer term commitments.