The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

Lions Super rugby prop Jacques van Rooyen has agreed to join English Premiership rugby club Bath.

http://www.superxv.com/lions-lose-super ... -club/?%20
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 am Lions Super rugby prop Jacques van Rooyen has agreed to join English Premiership rugby club Bath.

http://www.superxv.com/lions-lose-super ... -club/?%20
I'd missed this even as a supporter of Bath Rugby :oops: Thanks for the heads up Pete. An excellent signing in my opinion, although I still think they want more strength in depth in the second row.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If you want to keep updated on Super Rugby, Pharvey, see below link and newsletter sign-up box. Pete :cheers:

https://sanzarrugby.com/superrugby/

phpzIQDz3AM.jpg
phpzIQDz3AM.jpg (18.78 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

....and the "unofficial" Super Rugby site which most of the time is better than the official. :D No newsletter that I can find though. Pete :cheers:

http://www.superxv.com
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Thanks Pete. I do know the site "Sanzar Rugby" and have used it on occasion for many years - these days for the "Rugby Championship" mostly. I don't sign up for "Newsletters" these days, purely for the multitude of Emails that I receive (today for example - 113) - the majority are work related, but there is a multitude of cr@p..... as is the norm! :cuss: :banghead:

http://www.superxv.com/ on the other hand I did not know about and was very informative - so thanks for that also.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Rugby Championship Round 1
(all times local)

Saturday 18 August: Australia v New Zealand @ ANZ Stadium, Sydney (20:05) (17:05 Thai time)
Saturday 18 August: South Africa v Argentina @ Kings Park, Durban (17:05) (22:05 Thai time)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've got New Zealand by 31 on Saturday. Maybe too much :laugh: , but in the past I've always gone too low with them in these tournaments.....we'll see. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:29 pm I've got New Zealand by 31 on Saturday. Maybe too much :laugh: , but in the past I've always gone too low with them in these tournaments.....we'll see. Pete :cheers:
Maybe not a bad call - Aus are without a few key players, whilst (as normal :roll: ) the "Blackness" have an incredibly strong squad....

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Seems he's back to his bad old ways...... What a waste of talent - what goes through this guy's head at times (aside from 40% by volume is a mystery)!! :banghead:

"England international Danny Cipriani has been charged with common assault after an incident at a Jersey nightclub in the early hours of Wednesday.
Cipriani will stay in custody until he faces a hearing on Saturday for which he is charged with common assault, larceny, assault on police, resisting arrest and being disorderly on licensed premises.
Gloucester Rugby Club said they were “aware of the incident” and will make a further announcement in due course.
Cipriani was only recently recalled to the England set-up after a ten-year hiatus, but this latest indiscretion will surely be the last straw for England boss Eddie Jones."

Taken from : - https://www.planetrugby.com/news/danny- ... b-assault/

Be interesting to see what Gloucester do - though I suspect not alot considering their investment.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Just a heads up, the Rugby Championship is kicking off this weekend, so those of you in the league - make your picks!!

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:55 pm The Rugby Championship Round 1
(all times local)

Saturday 18 August: Australia v New Zealand @ ANZ Stadium, Sydney (20:05) (17:05 Thai time)
Saturday 18 August: South Africa v Argentina @ Kings Park, Durban (17:05) (22:05 Thai time)
Both games on Setanta TRUE channel 669. They have the first listed as starting at 1630 hours, but I imagine 35 minutes of opening ceremonies. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Well, the lesson from the first half is "Don't ever listen to what Pete predicts...." :laugh: All Blacks look sluggish and timing off. Australia looks sharp. I would expect a lot of NZ bench coming on early in the second half. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:37 pm Well, the lesson from the first half is "Don't ever listen to what Pete predicts...." :laugh: All Blacks look sluggish and timing off. Australia looks sharp. I would expect a lot of NZ bench coming on early in the second half. Pete :cheers:
Certainly a game of 2 halves Pete!!

How the hell you can you expect to beat the "Blackness" when you can't win your own lineout ball..... :roll:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And now for the Saffers..... :thumb:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Certainly enjoyed the first half. The Pumas "Rush Defense" and "Breakdown" working well and causing SA problems and causing them to make mistakes. I think SA will be back in the second half however, based on their scrummage and IF they can be a little more clinical.

Based on the rugby so far today, I think the Aussies will be worried!!