The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by PeteC »

"Australia have been forced into a late change for their Rugby championship match against South Africa’s Springboks after Wallabies number eight David Pocock withdrew from the match."........

This could change the whole complexion of the match. Not changing pick or margin, but scratching my head hard about it. :? Pete :cheers:

https://www.superxv.com/wallabies-lose- ... oks-clash/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:54 am "Australia have been forced into a late change for their Rugby championship match against South Africa’s Springboks after Wallabies number eight David Pocock withdrew from the match."........

This could change the whole complexion of the match. Not changing pick or margin, but scratching my head hard about it. :? Pete :cheers:

https://www.superxv.com/wallabies-lose- ... oks-clash/
That's a big blow to Australia - must admit to thinking about a change to my pick based on this news.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

One thing that has surprised me on this weekend's match between NZ and Argentina, is the venue/capacity: -

"It is a sold out venue as the All Blacks take this game to one of the country’s smaller grounds, with 21,480 fans in attendance. This will be the first time New Zealand has played a Test match in Nelson and this weekend promises to be a special few days for the city."

Can't remember a "Top Tier" international rugby match played with such low attendance......

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

All Blacks duo Brodie Retallick and Ngani Laumape injured against Argentina, in doubt for Springboks Test

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/all- ... d7add56320

Nothing really specific or confirmed yet concerning the nature of the injuries above.

If you look at the stats, Argentina should have won. They, I think, excelled in every category. The All Blacks being who they are though took the win as usual.

I didn't like this lineup for NZ and I'm thinking Hansen does things like this to keep the tournament more exciting?! :shock: :D

They need to bring their "A" team though with the rematch in Argentina. Before that they have to get past the Springboks in Wellington next week. The All Blacks are beat up so nothing is certain any longer IMO. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've noticed this in previous years but haven't asked about it. Watching UK rugby it seems that the try zones in the stadiums there are a meter or more shorter in depth than in the stadiums I'm used to seeing. Big disadvantage for the offense IMO.

Is this because the stadiums are old and they've packed as many spectator rows in as possible, or is it some kind of size regulation for the leagues there? Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Brodie Retallick could miss up to six weeks with shoulder injury

It appears that it will be 6 weeks. :( This is his third shoulder injury since 2015 from what I can find. 2 right and 1 left. It's the right again this time. Pete :cheers:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... njury.html
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:07 pm Brodie Retallick could miss up to six weeks with shoulder injury

It appears that it will be 6 weeks. :( This is his third shoulder injury since 2015 from what I can find. 2 right and 1 left. It's the right again this time. Pete :cheers:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... njury.html
Whilst NZ have massive strength in depth, this will still be a huge loss - Retallick truly has been in great form. You've got to worry about the guy though, shoulder injuries are certainly not good at the best of times let alone in rugby (especially the way Retallick plays!!).

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:26 am I've noticed this in previous years but haven't asked about it. Watching UK rugby it seems that the try zones in the stadiums there are a meter or more shorter in depth than in the stadiums I'm used to seeing. Big disadvantage for the offense IMO.

Is this because the stadiums are old and they've packed as many spectator rows in as possible, or is it some kind of size regulation for the leagues there? Pete :cheers:
The regulations are shown here: - http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=1&language=en

And yes, I agree it can be a big disadvantage to the offense, but it's going to be the same for both sides. I guess if you're used to playing on a pitch with smaller in-goal areas, it could well prove to be a "home advantage"..

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've noticed quite clearly that as more time passes, you're going to lose some of your favourite players. It's inevitable the way that some of these guys play that the game you're watching now could be the last you ever see him play. Look at Dane Coles, I'm not sure we'll ever see him back. It's similar with the NFL, but not as bad on average IMO. Pete :cheers:

Note: Losing an entire season, or most of one, is huge when these guys get up close to 30. :(
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

PeteC wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:26 am Watching UK rugby it seems that the try zones in the stadiums there are a meter or more shorter in depth than in the stadiums I'm used to seeing. Big disadvantage for the offense IMO.

Yes, I also noticed this last night when watching the highlights of the weekend games. Can't remember which stadium unfortunately, but it was particularly short, almost ridiculously so. I don't think it's a matter of regulations, though there may be a minimum pitch size (pharvey?), and I don't think it applies to all UK stadiums by any means.
PeteC wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:22 pm I've noticed quite clearly that as more time passes, you're going to lose some of your favourite players. It's inevitable the way that some of these guys play that the game you're watching now could be the last you ever see him play. Look at Dane Coles, I'm not sure we'll ever see him back. It's similar with the NFL, but not as bad on average IMO. Pete :cheers:

Note: Losing an entire season, or most of one, is huge when these guys get up close to 30. :(
Yes, injuries are inevitable given the level of physical contact and impact. Having said that, I've always been surprised at the number of players, particularly forwards, who seem to hit their peak in their 30s, and at the longevity of many.

Martin Johnson was 33 when England won the World Cup, Dallaglio was still playing internationals well into his 30s, Neil Back, Jason Leonard, and currently you have Dan Cole, Chris Robshaw, Mike Brown, Danny Care and I'm sure there are a number of others I can't recall off the top of my head.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:28 pm I don't think it's a matter of regulations, though there may be a minimum pitch size (pharvey?), and I don't think it applies to all UK stadiums by any means.
Dimensions.JPG
Dimensions.JPG (21.66 KiB) Viewed 214 times
The playing area is rectangular in shape.
Any variations to these dimensions must be approved by the relevant union for domestic competitions or World Rugby for international matches.
Where the length of the field of play is less than 100 metres, the distance between the 10-metre lines and 22-metre lines is reduced accordingly.
Where the width of the playing area is less than 70 metres, the distance between the 15-metre lines is reduced accordingly.
The perimeter area should not be less than five metres wide where practicable.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

22 meters would be crazy. :D I think what I'm seeing in southern hemisphere stadiums is 10-12. Almost all of those stadiums, in NZ and Oz at least, appear to be multi-use with plenty of room sides and back before you get to the spectator wall.

I was going to ask Pharvey the size the All Blacks will see at Cardiff as I recall you saying they were going to play Wales in November. I see per the below that is not to be and Australia and SAF are listed along with Tonga and Scotland? Pete :cheers:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/17693512
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 am 22 meters would be crazy. :D I think what I'm seeing in southern hemisphere stadiums is 10-12. Almost all of those stadiums, in NZ and Oz at least, appear to be multi-use with plenty of room sides and back before you get to the spectator wall.
22 meters! My God, could you imagine..... It's worthless though, not advantageous in any way. I agree, around the 8 - 10m mark seems realistic. Bath as a club, whom I've supported for many years, have very short In-Goal areas, purely on restrictions to the available ground size - not too sure on the playing area though, I'll have to look into that one...... You've now buggered my sleep Pete!! :wink: :thumb:
PeteC wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:51 am 22 meters would be crazy. :D I think what I'm seeing in southern hemisphere stadiums is 10-12. Almost all of those stadiums, in NZ and Oz at least, appear to be multi-use with plenty of room sides and back before you get to the spectator wall.

I was going to ask Pharvey the size the All Blacks will see at Cardiff as I recall you saying they were going to play Wales in November. I see per the below that is not to be and Australia and SAF are listed along with Tonga and Scotland? Pete :cheers:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/17693512
Unfortunately it's all about money Pete. I'm pretty sure the NZ Rugby Union will get stuffed anyway, but tickets for the match at Cardiff were to be £95 top rate. Tickets at Twickenham are £195 top rate (see https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 24491.html). Tickets for NZ are already sold out and are going for £600 odd plus on the Internet Sales sites.... https://www.viagogo.co.uk/Sports-Ticket ... 4FE-000000

The RFU (England) stand to make an absolute fortune, but NZ being the "Visiting Team" will get peanuts. It's an absolute disgrace in my book and things need to change.

I will add, this is not me being a Welshman against the English and any jealousy involved - far from it, I simply love rugby and want what's best for the sport - let the people who love to see it SEE IT! Who the f**k can afford these prices? Certainly not me..... This is just the ticket - forget travel, beer, food etc....

Sorry..... :rant:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Round 4

Sat 15 September: New Zealand v South Africa @ Westpac Stadium, Wellington (19:35) (1435 Thai time)

Sat 15 September: Australia v Argentina @ cBus Super Stadium, Gold Coast (20:00) (1700 Thai time)

Both televised on TRUE channel 669, Setanta
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Christ, how often do you see 3 out of the top 4 being Northern Hemisphere?! :shock: Be nice to see one of us taking top place though! :roll:

Rankings.JPG
Rankings.JPG (39.36 KiB) Viewed 127 times