World Cup 2014

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Bamboo Grove

World Cup 2014

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The European qualifying rounds start tonight, with France facing the mighty Finns in Helsinki. It's lovely Finnish autumn weather: 10 C and raining. :cheers: I'll watch it on TV but will go tomorrow to watch our 90's national team play, Litmanen, Hyypiä, Niemi, Riihiranta among others.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by BaaBaa. »

Bet you wish Jari and Sami were still playing.

Belgium have got a hell of a side.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Diaby is having a good night again. He's scored the only goal, so far, of the match as France lead 0-1 after 22 minutes. Maybe this will finally be his season and soon nobody (not even those living in Barcelona) will remember Alex Song.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

England 3-0 up at half time! :shock: :thumb:
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

caller wrote:
England 3-0 up at half time!
I'd blame the manager. :D
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Roy Hodgson, tactical genius.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The Liverpool lads seem to be performing for him! :wink:
Talk is cheap
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

caller wrote:The Liverpool lads seem to be performing for him! :wink:
He honed them to perfection when he was at Liverpool, you can't fail to be inspired by good old Roy .
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The scoreline and the meagre opposition create the illusion of a good result, but against top opposition, the team last night would have struggled.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Dannie Boy wrote:The scoreline and the meagre opposition create the illusion of a good result, but against top opposition, the team last night would have struggled.
I didn't watch it but I was getting to that point with Liverpool when he was manager.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Dannie Boy wrote:The scoreline and the meagre opposition create the illusion of a good result, but against top opposition, the team last night would have struggled.
At international level, 0-5 is a good result v any opposition these days & we obviously won't play the same way against better teams. :?

These smaller nations just don't roll over nowadays, two results from last night suggest that,
Germany 3-0 Faroe islands
Luxembourg 1-2 Portugal :|

Though one result doesn't,
Liechtenstein 1-8 Bosnia :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Post by Arcadian »

BaaBaa. wrote:
I didn't watch it but I was getting to that point with Liverpool when he was manager.

You really do hate it when Roy Hodgson`s side wins, albeit against a weak team. We get your animosity towards him but now it`s becoming a bit boring.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Arcadian wrote:
BaaBaa. wrote:

You really do hate it when Roy Hodgson`s side wins, albeit against a weak team. We get your animosity towards him but now it`s becoming a bit boring.
Not nearly as boring as you commenting on everything I say, or indeed Roys Football.

I've got every right to state what a massive whopper Hodgson is when he manages my national side and briefly (luckily) managed my club.

This loser and Stuart Pearce are going to be managing the likes of Chamberlain and Sterling so you should be concerned too.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Actually, a simple change, just starting at a much higher tempo than normal, seemed to make all the difference. So have to commend the manager for that - it will be tougher in the next game though.
Talk is cheap
Arcadian
Ace
Ace

Post by Arcadian »

Thing is Baa Baa I may be wrong, does happen sometimes, but your constant banging on about Liverpool being a big club does irritate people. Selling a zillion shirts in China and having fans singing the best songs no longer qualifies Liverpool for being a big club, accept the fact that your club is mediocre, you don`t have the best keeper, midfielder and forward in the league. The fans are being patient with Rodgers because he did well at Swansea getting them to play great football, but how long has he got to produce the quality your fans expect before the mutterings start?