England - The best in the world already!

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

What will England achieve in Germany 06?

Knocked out after the first round?
16%
Reach the last 16?
18%
Quarter Finals?
36%
Semi Finals
16%
Final (Runners Up)
2%
Winners (40 years of hurt over!)
11%

Total votes: 44

Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Group qualification explained

Post by Guess »

Someone asked me what happens in the event of two teams ending up with the same points. I would insert a points based system at option 7 and use the draw as the next step. Iwould think a points system something like boxing where contestants are judged by certain criteria such as + for corners and throw ins and minus for yellow and red cards and fouls.

Group qualification explained

If two or more teams are level on points, positions will be determined as follows:

1. Greatest number of points obtained in all group matches.
2. Goal difference in all group matches.
3. Greatest number of goals scored in all matches.
4. If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows: Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned .
5. Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned .
6. Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned .
7. Drawing of lots by the organising committee for the Fifa World Cup.

[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy,

From one patriot to another - my view? 6/10.

Best player - Joe Cole, scored one of the greats and made the other. A better referee would have given him greater protection. You can always tell when a team are worried, by the fouls they concede and the Swedes were worried about King Cole.

Other pluses - Rooney without a doubt, Hargreaves played well, Terry, Ferdinand and Ashley Cole looked good, Lamps worked hard and had a good first half but faded and er, thats it!!

But what defence would want to play in front of Robinson at the moment? Where is the authoritive keeper of last season - I hope he regains it!

Still too many long balls aimed at Crouch. Rooney tired, Becks was anonymous cos' of having to cover for a limited Garragher - who doesn't look 100% fit?

I pray that Owens injury isn't too serious, but for those that have played, when you have to twist yourself as he did to prevent more damage, you know its not good!

Campbell looked rusty when Rio came off but played himself into it, but doesn't have the agility of old and Gerrard? The man is a genius - one of the greats.

We now have a lucky Swede whose team score in the 2nd half! Now if we can just sort out the set piece defending and come out as though we mean it in the 2nd half - with a confident Robinson?

Put all that in place and we may reach my projection, after that, who knows?

I wish the boys well!!!
Talk is cheap
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

caller, I pretty much agree with your assessment, and in view of the Beckham/ Carragher (or Neville when fit) situation I think it would be better for Gerrard to play wide right as I think he would offer more, leaving Beckham able to roam a bit more. Also it must be hard for Beckham to 'rally the troops' from the right. Hargreaves did well but I think Carrick would still be the better option in that defensive midfield role, as his range of passing is better. Disagree about Ashley Cole though; he is still making too many mistakes and leaving the defence exposed on that side, He is a good attacking threat though, but maybe he goes forward just a little too often? I assume the Ferdinand-Campbell substitution was just to give one a rest and the other some game time?
On another note Sweden-Germany will be an interesting match, as it will be the first game in which the hosts will be really tested; equally Ecuador have looked a useful side at times so no easy ride for us either.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wanderlust/Caller,

It is good to see some constructive critcism at last. Too many were expecting too much too soon. I can't really disagree with anything either of you guys have said.

My only fear is the teams that always do well in the domestic league are those who suffer least injury and can field (more or less) the team that they want to. With Owen out for 6 months (as they were saying on breakfast TV this morning), Rooney not 100% and Ferdinand picking up an injury, it does not look too good.

I also have to agree with the comments regarding Robinson, with Calamity as 2nd choice, that situation doesn't look too good either.

On the bright side, it was good to see them playing against a side that had come to play football, and actually wanted to win so that they avoided Germany. All games should be that way from here on in, and that gives the more skillful players in the team the chance to shine. Don't worry guys, theres still a lot of skill left in that team yet, and Sven's secret weapon still has to make an appearance.

Just keep on crowing while you can - in the unlikely event of England slipping up, the critics are waiting to come down like a ton bricks.

Sven has shut them up for now!
:lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: :lach:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Big Boy wrote:Wanderlust/Caller,

.... Sven's secret weapon still has to make an appearance.....
I really think Sven's private life should be kept out of soccer.

Nothing much for me to add here. Looks like we were all watching the same game.

Somebody told me yesterday that Italy and France had been knocked already. I asked where he got his information and his reply was "from some geezer he was talkin to in the pub".

This puts me in a quandary. Do I believe pub talk or should I believe what is published on the BBC and FIFA web sites.
Last edited by Guess on Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Agree about the secret weapon - with Owen out, he for sure will get his chance now!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guess,
Somebody told me yesterday that Italy and France had been knocked already
Italy are top of their group, and France are 3rd in their group. Both need a win to be guaranteed a place in the last 16.

Points 48; Position 20
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Encouragement for Spain
Spanish daily 20 Minutos claims Nostradamus tipped Spain to win the World Cup. It quotes one of his prophecies as follows: "In the sixth month of 2006 the King of Spain will cross the Pyrenees with his troops. The legions of Beelzebub will battle him in central Europe and suffer doom and destruction. The Holy Grail will then come to Spain." (Press Association)
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Why is Beckham England's captain? He is not the full shilling! Three days before the start of the World Cup, after admitting to suffering from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), David revealed that, in addition to feeling uneasy when there's one two many Pepsi cans in his fridge or when the chairs in his living room are arranged assymetrically, the condition is also affecting his footballing performances.

The England and Real Madrid star said his problem frequently compels him to carry out bizarre and persistent rituals on the field of play, often to the detriment of his team.

He told Shoot Magazine, "I have this thing, like, where I have to pass the ball to "Zizou" (Beckham's French teammate Zinedine Zidane) exactly 15 times during every game. It's really silly I know but I can't help it. I'll admit it -there have been occasions where it has cost the team".

Last night was one such occasion, only this time Gerrard has taken Zidane's place as his obsession! In the dying moments of England's tie with Sweden, Beckham, collected possession inside the opposition's half with Gerrard completely free on the left to run through and score. He refused to pass the ball to his English teammate, revealing how this would have "totally messed up my routine".

EPSA statistics bear out Beckham's words. They show that he did indeed pass the ball to Gerrard exactly 15 times during the Sweden game and indeed did so against both Paraguay and Trinidad & Tobago.

Beckham said he experieces at least 9 or 10 different forms of obsessive compulsions during any given game ranging from having to wear his shoelaces inside his boots to chewing on a blade of grass plucked from the area next to the corner flag and spitting it out next to the opposite corner flag after exactly 65 minutes.

Explaining another quirk, Beckham said, "Another thing is when I, like, notice before a game that the penalty spot isn't a perfect circle, I, like, get the groundsman to paint it so it is... a perfect circle".

He added, "Nobody knows about this, I usually arrive before the team to make sure everything is to my liking".

In a still more shocking revelation, Beckham also put his recent penalty taking woes for England (he has missed 3 crucial penalties in recent years) down to an inexplicable compulsion to kick the ball as hard and as high as he can instead of aiming towards the goal. This occured in crucial ties against Turkey and Portugal.

The revelations are likely to raise calls for England coach, Sven Goran Erickson, to drop Beckham the fear being the players's obsessive compulsive nature affects England's chances of triumphing in the knock out stages of the World Cup.

Erickson defended his captain however, arguing, "David is a very intelligent young man. He is a big boy with a nice manner and he knows how to look after himself. I hope he makes it a compulsion to score 3 goals in every game from now on ha ha. I only hope but what can we do but hope, no?"

Although only coming to public attention now, knowledge of Beckham's OCD has been prevalent among teammates for years. When playing for Manchester United, Beckham's teammate Roy Keane would, when exercising before every game, deliberately do 35 star jumps and only 33 hands-to-toes stretches. Apparently this infuriated his teammate no end.

"Roy had a bit of trouble understanding how difficult it is to live with this condition", he said.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Jockey,

Don't you like David Beckham then?

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I will not reply to a man who quotes "Shoot" rag. :thumb:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Big Boy wrote:Guess,
Somebody told me yesterday that Italy and France had been knocked already
Italy are top of their group, and France are 3rd in their group. Both need a win to be guaranteed a place in the last 16.
Sorry my sarcasm got lost again.

France have to win but if the top two draw, France may still not get through. All three teams will have 5 points so goal difference will apply, One nil for France would not be enough. They would have an an equal goal difference with Korea but will have score less goals so will go out. France need to win by 2 - 0 for a guaranteed place which would be second. They could end up top if the win 3 - 0.

As for Italy they can lose and still go though. If that happemd Czech would move up to first position and Italy could be overtaken easily by Ghana if they beat the USA. The USA would need to win by 2 or three goals at least to dislodge Italy. If Italy draw Ghana would win the group with Italy second.

If Italy win (the most likely of the possibilities) they are through in top position

To summarise:

France have some work to do but bear in mind that they play Togo next who have been the weakest team I have seen in the last 32.

Italy only need to win or draw to go through and even losing still leaves them with a chance.

Italy then only need to win their next four games to win the cup for the fourth time. Of course there will be another fifteen teams with the same aspirations.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guess,
Sorry my sarcasm got lost again.
It wasn't, it was just too early in the morning for me after celebrating a fine result last night.

By the time I'd fully woken up, it was too late - posting already made.

On the subject of sarcasm, wouldn't it be a shame if France failed to get past the group stages for the 2nd World Cup on the trot?

Points 48; Position 20
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I guess that people who have am irrational dislike of the French born out of jealously it might be.

For me though France are one of the great footballing nations that have always had good share of the best players in the world in their squad.

They should progress further. I reckon that France and South Korea will provide better future entertainment that Switzerland and Togo.

I am hoping for wins from France and Korea in their last group games.

As you are an avid English supporter may be should joined the Beckham thanks but no thanks lobby now that the well know behavioural disorder has been officially made public.

The obsessions that Beckham has are numerous and constantly being suplimented. They affect his home life and footballing career and in many cases in detriment to his team.

I am now convinced that the delay of Victoria's journey to Frankfurt was a deliberate work of sabotage by one of Beckham's enemies.

I believe Beckham has still got a future with England so long as Erikson remains manager but if England want to progress further I think that future should mostly consist of sitting on the bench.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

More answers

Post by Guess »

Another question that I am constantly being asked is how the groups were picked. The infoartmation is hard to obtain and seems to have disappeared from the unfriendly FIFA site altogether now that the finals are under way.

Anyway a seeding system is used which is highly complex and uses a mixture of previous world cup performances and FIFA rankings. The seedings for the finals were calculated after the 32 competitors had been selected. Every team earned a number of points. The top eight are:

1 Brazil 64 points
2 England 51 points
3 Spain 50 points
4 Germany 48 points
5 Mexico 47 points
6 France 46 points
7 Argentina 44 points
8 Italy 44 points.

One each of eight top seeded teams (pot 1) got placed into each one of the eight groups. This was done so that they could not meet each other in the group stage.

The remaining 24 teams were put into three geographically based pots.

Pot 2 Africa, South America, Oceana
Pot 3 Europe
Pot 4 Asia

Serbia Montenegro were put in a pot of their own because of their very low ranking and selected to play in a group with one of the South American top seeds. (it happened by chance to be Argentina's goup). This was done to avoid a group with too many European sides in it.

The pots were then drawn one at a time into the eight groups. The Asian pot was missed the first time round because Serbia Montenegro already occupied one of their slots.

An interesting point, that seeding critics should take note of, is that six of those eight top seeds have already got to the last sixteen and France and Italy still have a good chance.

If you check out http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/spl ... efault.stm# you can see for yourself what is the likely conclusion.

It is still looking good for a Italy v Brasil final but to make the die hard English fans happy, Argentina v England is another possible final.