F.A. Cup 2013-14

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Bamboo Grove

F.A. Cup 2013-14

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Comments from supporters whose teams are already involved. Plymouth?
Big Boy

Re: F.A. Cup 2013-14

Post by Big Boy »

I'm probably the wrong person to ask. I used to love the magic of the FA Cup when I was younger.

These days I'd rather see the Green Army be given the option to opt out, which they have done in recent seasons losing to non-league opposition in the first round :oops: . As far as I'm concerned, it costs too many bookings and injuries, when teams in the lower reaches of the Football League should be concentrating on survival or advancing to the next division.

Watching the BBC live updates, the Green Army were all over non-league Lincoln yesterday, but there's NOBODY in the squad who the manager will play who could hit a barn door from 6 yards. The latest addition has been borrowed from a team struggling below us - it's a joke.

Sorry for the negativity, but at the moment survival in the football league is the first priority. If the gods shine, and by some quirk of luck the Green Army draw one of the big boys to Home Park in the 3rd round, it will be a nice distraction for the supporters (and yes, the supporters deserve something after the crap they've been served for a few years now). However, I see no point competing in a competition that you can't win.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

There were probably only two real shocks yesterday....Tamworth 1 Cheltenham 0 was one but the "biggy" was my local team Macclesfield Town,of the Conference,who thrashed Swindon,high flyers of League 1, 4-0. :cheers: :cheers:
Macc nearly went bust at the start of the season after losing nearly 1m GBP in a desperately flawed attempt to regain the Football League status they had lost the season before.
John Askey who had been with the club for almost 30 years as a player,youth team coach and assistant manager took over and has built up a very good side on a shoestring budget.
Macc lost 6 and drew 3 of their first 9 matches this season but have now won 7 out of the last 9 in an amazing turnaround.
The club is still in dire financial straits and really needs to draw a big club in round 3,.... the likes of United,Liverpool or Chelsea away,if possible.
But first they have to negotiate round 2.....a home draw against a side where victory could be almost guaranteed....yep,thats it,Plymouth at home will do nicely ! :rasta:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Zidane wrote:But first they have to negotiate round 2.....a home draw against a side where victory could be almost guaranteed....yep,thats it,Plymouth at home will do nicely ! :rasta:
Probably :oops: , and I honestly wouldn't be disappointed. However, the Green Army haven't made it to round 2 yet.

I think one of the things that's spoilt the FA Cup for me is squad play, and teams playing out of favour players in cup competitions. The Green Army even play these stupid games and inserted a couple of reserves into the team yesterday. It' a shame the manager won't play his only proven goal scorer. However, he's afraid if he does he'll be snapped up by one of the big boys for a song :? Better to keep him on the bench. :guns:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

George, who used to be involved with Red Bar on Bintabaht is a goalie manager at the conference side Gateshead so I follow his FB posts with keen interest. They almost beat league two high flying Oxford after leading 0-2 but had to be content with a 2-2 draw in the end.
tapp
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tapp »

Hi All

I will be HH for the FA Cup final (Sat 17th May 2014) and it will also be my first visit to HH.

I am a Liverpool fan and hope we get to the final, but i am still a football fan and love being a neutral if we don't make it. I love the FA Cup final, whoever is playing, but have i have to say that it has lost some of it's magic, as years ago we used to get up on the morning of the final and it would be on the tv from the coverage of the players at the hotel/breakfast time to the fans getting public transport to the ground and the infamous walk on wembley way, i know that the tv do cover some build up to the game but just not as much. Just my opinion.

As i have said, it will be my first time here so any suggestions on a decent place to watch the football, i think most places may show the final but after a place that would have good food too.

Pat
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Only posting this for BB's benefit as his team Plymouth are hosts to one of my local teams Welling, from the Conference. Get ready to slip on a :dance: skin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I hope so. I hate cup competitions, and nothing pleases me more than seeing the Green Army making an early exit. They've already gone one round too many.

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:I hope so. I hate cup competitions, and nothing pleases me more than seeing the Green Army making an early exit. They've already gone one round too many.
You have to sweat it out for at least another round after a comfortable 3-1 win :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Capital One Cup 2013/14

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:What are the matches going on this weekend? I guessed putting it under this thread? Pete :cheers:
It's FA Cup weekend, so the minnows are in with the big boys, only these days the big boys use it as an excuse to give their reserves a run out. Match of the weekend is probably Spurs Vs Arsenal and in this case, maybe mostly first team players on both sides?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Capital One Cup 2013/14

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: It's FA Cup weekend, so the minnows are in with the big boys, only these days the big boys use it as an excuse to give their reserves a run out. Match of the weekend is probably Spurs Vs Arsenal and in this case, maybe mostly first team players on both sides?
As 'first' as possible, I imagine, given that both teams have significant injury problems. Looking forward to the game.
This is the way
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Which TV provider is showing the FA cup ? CTH ? or do they only have the EPL ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

From what I can see, 365 are showing Blackburn v Man City tomorrow.

Sunday it looks as though they're showing Notts Forest v West Ham, Derby v Chelsea and Man Utd v Swansea.

Points 48; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

If you have Thai Expat TV, ITV are showing Spurs against Arsenal live on Saturday and then later in the evening (UK time), highlights and/or goals of all the games.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

historically games have been shown on Thai channel 5/7 lets see what happens tomorrow