English League 2 - Season 2014-15

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

English League 2 - Season 2014-15

Post by Big Boy »

Well, here we are again. The Green Army are still entrenched in the lowest echelons of the Football League. What will the new season bring?

Last season was virtually trouble free (compared with 2 successive relegations a a few seasons fighting off the Grim Reaper and almost dropping into absolute football obscurity). However, we weren't even close to a play-off place.

This is the manager's 3rd full season, and if he's worth his salt, this should be a promotion season. Failure should see him fall on his sword. Close season trading has seen a host of new faces being recruited. Are they the right players?

Pre-season has been a complete disaster. Only 2 victories against the mighty Tavistock and Weston Super Mare. Also noticeable performances such as losing 5 - 1 to Truro. One might think, why bother this season? If you look back through time, you will see that the Green Army's best seasons have followed similar pre-seasons.

We've been promised promotion this season. Do I believe it? I'm sat on the fence at the moment. Of course, I could take the safe bet and claim to support a team like one of the Mancs. However, if I'm anything, I'm not a plastic supporter.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Re: English League 2 - Season 2014-15

Post by Zidane »

Big Boy wrote: Do I believe it? I'm sat on the fence at the moment. Of course, I could take the safe bet and claim to support a team like one of the Mancs. However, if I'm anything, I'm not a plastic supporter.
I hope this isnt a dig at me,old chap ! :shock: I'm from South Manchester and have been to Old Trafford a few hundred times,although,admittedly,not too much in the last 10 years when I've mostly been living in Thailand.
Anyway,good luck to Plymouth.With their potential fan base they should be a Championship side.
BTW,this is John Sheridans second full season in charge.....not his third.....he took over at Plymouth in January 2013.....give the guy a chance......the mind does start to play tricks when you get older ! :rasta:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I realise Premier League teams have real supporters as well. However, I have no time for the armchair supporters who have never even seen a team play live who claim to be supporters.
[Edit] Just to clarify, I accept some people will never get the chance to follow the team of their choice through things like geographical location (I class there as followers, not supporters). It used to make me sick at work when I was surrounded by plastic supporters who wouldn't get off their arse to watch the team of their choice, even when it was playing in the vicinity - these are the plastic variety.

Is it really only his 2nd full season :oops: - feels like longer.

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^Yes, but it's probably a bit easier and less expensive to get tickets to watch Plymouth Argyle than Man U... :wink: :laugh: (Can you park at the side of the pitch?)
This is the way
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

dtaai-maai wrote:^^Yes, but it's probably a bit easier and less expensive to get tickets to watch Plymouth Argyle than Man U... :wink: :laugh: (Can you park at the side of the pitch?)
I heard that BB turned up an hour early for one of Plymouths matches and got named amongst the substitutes ! :D
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:^^Yes, but it's probably a bit easier and less expensive to get tickets to watch Plymouth Argyle than Man U... :wink: :laugh: (Can you park at the side of the pitch?)
On my very first visit to Old Trafford, it was actually cheaper than Home Park - a cup match about 1974. man Utd won 1 - 0.
Zidane wrote:I heard that BB turned up an hour early for one of Plymouths matches and got named amongst the substitutes !
At least they know my name :D

Points 48; Position 20
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Reminds me of that very old joke:

BB phones Home Park to ask the time of kick-off
What time can you get here they replied
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Maybe sticky a results/standings link at the top of this thread for quick reference BB. While you're at it, similar on the Championship thread appreciated. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A quote from BBC Sport on FB, but they didn't list a link for more details:

"Thank you for all your votes today in Sportsday.

You voted that Derby County will win the Championship, Sheffield United Football Club will win League One and Portsmouth Football Club will win League Two.

Don't miss the start of the football season tonight, where we'll have Blackburn Rovers v Cardiff City Football Club live on BBC Radio 5 live, with text commentary online, kick-off at 19:45 BST."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Funny how the teams with larger followings get the most votes :tosser:

Portsmouth had the exact same prediction last season, yet were fighting a drop from the Football League at one stage.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

prcscct wrote:This one may make BB smile....I don't know. :D If I were Mr. Bray though I wouldn't feel too good going from Premiere League to League 2. :shock: He may have had one of those "I'm going to poop my pants" moments. :mrgreen:

14:54 - Alex Bray [Swansea - Plymouth] Loan
Big Boy wrote:Pete, many players are put out to the lower leagues to learn their trade and gain match experience. They are the mainstay of the lower leagues these days.

Unfortunately it usually means the team that plays the first half of a season in League 2, only remotely resembles the team that competes the second half of the season.

You also get dickheads like Ian Hollowhead loaning you players for half a season, but deciding he wants them to join his squad at the most crucial point of the lower league team's season. Not to play, but to travel with the team :?

Did it make me smile? No, it brought back memories of the snake in the grass :cuss:

[Edit] My son and I watch the Premiership matches, and play spot the Green Army reject - many matches has a player who has been at Home Park learning their trade at some stage of their career.
Plymouth Argyle is the 'perfect place' for on-loan Swansea City winger Alex Bray
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymout ... story.html

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Good for him. I didn't realize he was so young and just starting out. Indeed a good move then as he'll play regularly I would think. Let us know how he does. :thumb: Pete
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

With no Premiership programme tomorrow, punters in the UK are being treated to the next best thing - Luton vs Green Army, live. I've checked all 10 of my sports channels, and can't find it listed anywhere :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Major league baseball has a good system. The major teams have 'farm clubs' playing in the minor leagues and players pass freely up and down. A top player recovering from injury or lacking in game time goes to the farm for a couple of weeks. Great for the minnows as they occasionally get a real star playing in their local team,
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote:
prcscct wrote:This one may make BB smile....I don't know. :D If I were Mr. Bray though I wouldn't feel too good going from Premiere League to League 2. :shock: He may have had one of those "I'm going to poop my pants" moments. :mrgreen:

14:54 - Alex Bray [Swansea - Plymouth] Loan
Big Boy wrote:Pete, many players are put out to the lower leagues to learn their trade and gain match experience. They are the mainstay of the lower leagues these days.

Unfortunately it usually means the team that plays the first half of a season in League 2, only remotely resembles the team that competes the second half of the season.

You also get dickheads like Ian Hollowhead loaning you players for half a season, but deciding he wants them to join his squad at the most crucial point of the lower league team's season. Not to play, but to travel with the team :?

Did it make me smile? No, it brought back memories of the snake in the grass :cuss:

[Edit] My son and I watch the Premiership matches, and play spot the Green Army reject - many matches has a player who has been at Home Park learning their trade at some stage of their career.
Plymouth Argyle is the 'perfect place' for on-loan Swansea City winger Alex Bray
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymout ... story.html
Hmmm...... I wonder what he's thinking now http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Alex-Br ... story.html

Points 48; Position 20