English League 2 - Season 2014-15

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: English League 2 - Season 2014-15

Post by PeteC »

My goodness, what bad luck for the boy. :( Hate to see those kind of injuries in any sport, as long time to heal and sometimes bother forever. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, that's the same injury my son picked up in Japan. Although he plays a variety of sports again now, it still troubles him from time to time.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:Yes, that's the same injury my son picked up in Japan. Although he plays a variety of sports again now, it still troubles him from time to time.
Even when he eventually gets back on the field, it's going to disturb his confidence thinking it could pop again at anytime. I wouldn't be surprised if we never hear about him again. Good advice at age 19 perhaps would be to get a degree and do something else IMO. Very sad as I'm sure he's wanted to be a footballer most of his life.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Blimey,a career lasting just 12 minutes.....his knee gave way whilst running down the wing ! :o
At least he should be young enough to make a full recovery in time.

Never mind,Manchester United have a couple of "youngsters" you might want to take on a seasons long loan.....Anderson and Ashley Young ! :rasta:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Zidane wrote:Never mind,Manchester United have a couple of "youngsters" you might want to take on a seasons long loan.....Anderson and Ashley Young ! :rasta:
The last Green Army player I can remember coming from Manchester Utd was Pat Dunne. That was in the old 2nd Division, and duly helped to get us relegated.

I'm sure you'll remind me of others :)

Points 48; Position 20
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

This thread has been quiet since 12th September !! :shock:
With 2 matches to go Plymouth are in a play off position ! :guns:
Why so quiet ? Get behind your team,man ! :tsk: ........although I believe they were pretty poor in the 2-0 defeat by Carlisle last weekend.
Tranmere (h) should be an easy 3 points.
Shrewsbury (a) difficult,as they may still have a chance of the title.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Fortunately the excellent goal difference is worth a point. The team below don't have an easy run in either.

Basically, we're an average team in a poor league reliant upon too many loanees. Even if we did manage promotion, we don't have a team for next season yet, and no cash to get one. I'm quite despondent about the prospects.

Still hoping to continue our unbeaten record at Wembley though :D

Points 48; Position 20
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

My local team,Macclesfield,were in dire financial straits before the start of the season but despite having the 4th lowest budget in the Conference they have done really well and looked certs to reach the play offs until a few weeks ago.
But what a time to go 6 games without a win ! :( Although they won on Saturday they find themselves 1 point outside the play offs with 1 game to go.
Both there two rivals for the last play off spot are at home whereas Macc are away at Torquay.So its hard to see them making it,tbh,but a nice weekend break for the Macc fans making the long trip down to Devon. 8)
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Plymouth 3 Tranmere Rovers 2 means that Plymouth are all but sure to make the play offs,so congrats to them. :cheers:
They have a goal difference of +8 over Luton and +10 over Newport (plus 3 points) so even I could play in goal for them next weekend and they would still make it ! :wink:
Tranmere relegated out of the Football League for the first time in their 94 year history,plus Cheltenham.

Macc Town failed to make the Conference play offs by 1 point.If they would have won at Torquay they would have been successful but were held 1-1.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've been very busy with visitors from the UK, so haven't actually updated my signature yet. Yes, we're all but in the play offs, and as much as I'd love us to maintain our unbeaten winning streak at Wembley, I seriously fear for our ability at the higher level. We have no real foundation to move up a level. Take our loanees away, as they did after Christmas, and we're crap, However, I would guess that could be said for most of the teams at the bottom level.

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Surely there's a financial benefit in moving up a league? Wouldn't a cash injection enable you to strengthen the squad?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the best teams in the lower leagues are those who manage to recruit the best loanees from the bigger clubs. Yes, there will be more money, but Div 1 players will demand more money than a Div 2 player. That combined with Plymouth being suburb of northern Spain, resulting in players demanding even more, additional money won't go very far.

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

My nephew was dropped as a baby, and now has a love for Wendyball :wink: :duck: . Many moons ago he was in the Southampton FC Academy (unfortunately not making the grade ultimately), but I do remember him telling me of some manager (whether or not at Southampton or not I can't remember), who was extremely adept at keeping the wage bill down but still having a very talented squad - simply by having players on loan and bringing youngsters through the ranks.

Wouldn't it be nice to see more clubs following this rather than overpaying these spoilt premadonnas ........ some on 300K per week for God's sake. :cuss: :banghead:
Last edited by pharvey on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Therein lies the problem. Even in a lower Division Southampton would be a much more attractive proposition. Only 2 hours to London. Plymouth maybe god's own country, but it's 2 hours from the nearest civilisation.

Combine that with a skin flint Chairman and an average manager, who is often absent.........................

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Now, if Terry had one of these for auction, I'm sure bidding would have gone haywire:
flag.jpg
flag.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 207 times

Points 48; Position 20