The sad story of Kenny Sansom

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Bamboo Grove

The sad story of Kenny Sansom

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Watching this wasn't really a good wy to start the day. One of my old heros. Hopefully he can get help soon.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... al-5837774
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: The sad story of Kenny Sansom

Post by caller »

Yes, very sad, he was a great player. Let's hope he gets the support he needs.
Talk is cheap
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

caller wrote:Yes, very sad, he was a great player. Let's hope he gets the support he needs.
sadly, the only support he needs is from himself,when get stuck to an adiction it really doesen't matter if it's food,new breast,booze,dope,enlarge penis,cigarrete its in your head.

been smoking for more thann 35 years and trying stop many times,and one day I was ready to stop and thats over 3 years now and haven't looked back for a smoke.

I know its not even near what Kenny is facing but if he is ready to to ask for help and reconice he need it and reconice it, I wish him all the best in the world, he was a great player who deserve the best, like everyone who struggle with a problem who is difficult to cope with

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yes, it's a sad story, but he's been getting support for many years and now it's old news, particularly in the Mirror, which told the other side of the story back in 2008: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... ny-1653903

When I read about guys like Sansom, Gascoigne, Best, Adams, Merson, Maradona and so many more I find it really difficult to have a lot of sympathy for people who have so much going for them but blow it all on booze, drugs, gambling, etc. We hear a lot about the pressures of a high-profile celebrity lifestyle and all the temptations that go with it, but very little about the pressures of the millions of ordinary people living on the breadline, brought up in poverty, struggling to get by from one day to the next with no real prospect of ever getting out of the rut. Not much chance of them going sobbing to the Daily Mirror and asking for help.

Save your sympathy for their families.
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

dtaai-maai wrote:
When I read about guys like Sansom, Gascoigne, Best, Adams, Merson, Maradona and so many more I find it really difficult to have a lot of sympathy for people who have so much going for them but blow it all on booze, drugs, gambling, etc. We hear a lot about the pressures of a high-profile celebrity lifestyle and all the temptations that go with it, but very little about the pressures of the millions of ordinary people living on the breadline, brought up in poverty, struggling to get by from one day to the next with no real prospect of ever getting out of the rut. Not much chance of them going sobbing to the Daily Mirror and asking for help.

Save your sympathy for their families.
Agree 100%. :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

dtaai-maai wrote:... ordinary people living on the breadline, brought up in poverty, struggling to get by from one day to the next with no real prospect of ever getting out of the rut....
Thanks for the mention.I appreciate it ! :rasta:

I think that a lot of the problem with these guys is that they cant cope when they are no longer in the limelight.
Always in the news in their 20's and early 30's,then they retire from the sport and its difficult for them to accept that they are no longer the star they once were.
I remember being in a pub in Altrincham about 15 years ago and Malcolm Allison walked in.I was shocked,he was a small,hunched frail old man not the cigar smoking Big Mal with the fedora hat he is associated with.
Apparently,he had been receiving treatment for alcoholism at the nearby Priory in Bowdon.I did feel sorry for him.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Zidane wrote:I remember being in a pub in Altrincham about 15 years ago and Malcolm Allison walked in.
[...]
Apparently,he had been receiving treatment for alcoholism at the nearby Priory in Bowdon. I did feel sorry for him.

Well, I hope you didn't buy him a pint!

I don't mean to belittle the problems these people have, but I'm a little sceptical about addictions being a disease. Cancer is a disease, Alzheimer's is a disease (which I think Allison developed later); alcohol- and drug-related problems are self-inflicted dependencies for which the solution is obvious, if not easy.
This is the way
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

No I didnt buy him a pint as I was living on the breadline,brought up in poverty at the time ! :wink:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The Independent have picked up on this story today:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 06238.html
Talk is cheap