The 2015 "Open"

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

The 2015 "Open"

Post by hhfarang »

With Hua Hin being such a golf paradise I surprised that no one has mentioned The Open, which started today.

I watched all twelve televised hours of the opening day and was surprised, awed, and shocked by various aspects of the event.

First and foremost, while the U.S. Open earlier this year on the north west coast of America seemed like an "Open" in Scotland with the links course, brown fairways and strong winds, the morning today at "The Old Course" seemed like a round in America with a very green course and very little wind.

The afternoon changed all that as St. Andrews showed it's fangs with the temperature dropping and the wind howling as it became a very different game of golf.

At the end of the day an American was leading (Dustin Johnson), with 2nd place being shared by an Englishman, a Scotsman, a South African, an Australian, and two more Americans with Spieth, my personal favorite in a 5-way tie for 3rd.

The day included demonstrations of the best of the sport as well as another very sad performance by Tiger Woods.

Maybe it's the weather but there were so many grey and black outfits that it was hard to tell who they were by just watching, but John Daly was there to remedy that in his green and red pajamas! The commentary by the ESPN broadcasters was much better than the last few years. They did have the obligatory hour or so with the rambling, off topic, Peter Aliss, but thankfully they kept that to the bare minimum... no offence meant to you fans who have been listening to his wanderings for decades but I think it's time to put him out to pasture. I would love to sit by the fire and drink scotch with him while listening to his stories, but not during play.

Tomorrow promises to be a different day. While the course was easy and inviting most of the day today, the prediction for tomorrow is for rain, and strong winds most of the day so we will surly see what those best of the best are made of.

I can't wait! :thumb: :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

The 2015 "Open"

Post by Henry 14th »

I'm with you on this HH. As an avid golfer I look forward to Open week each year.

Lots of big names in the mix so I'm going for a good weekend ahead.

Fancied Fowler to deliver this week. He's giving himself plenty of birdie chances but his putting has failed him so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkkghkc. Molk a
A

ZvV
pharvey

Re: The 2015 "Open"

Post by pharvey »

hhfarang wrote:The day included demonstrations of the best of the sport as well as another very sad performance by Tiger Woods.
Sad? Golfing suicide/disastrous probably a better description - Kitten is going to struggle to make the cut.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Well, after the first round it got boring in a hurry with long rain and wind delays on days 2 and 3 that will cause the final round to be on Monday. I hope it's televised, but I can't find that Monday round in any of the online TV listings yet.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Spoiler alert! If you've recorded the 3rd round of this event and haven't watched it yet do not read this...

Wow, the third round was exciting, amazing, and fun to watch. St. Andrews started out the day with an early rain that softened up the greens, followed by a mostly sunny day with little or no wind giving nearly the entire field a run at the top spot. At one point the lead was held by an amateur for several holes (no amateur has won since Bobby Jones!) who finished tied for the lead and will be in the final group tomorrow. I've never seen that in a major.

The leaderboard was fluid all day with seemingly everyone jockeying for the top spot at one time. During the latter part of the day I counted 22 players either tied for the lead or within 3 strokes!

It ended up with three people tied at 12 under par going into the final day; Paul Dunne, the aforementioned amateur (Ireland), Jason Day (Australia), Louis Oosthuizen (South Africa) followed by Spieth at 11 under, Harrington at 10 under and nine golfers at 9 under, three at 8 under and eight at 7 under. Any of these plus other notables further back in the pack have a chance to win tomorrow! It's wide open.

Just think of the golf history that may happen tomorrow. Several players have a chance to win their first major, plus if Spieth wins he will be the first since Ben Hogan to win the first 3 majors in one year. If Paul Dunne should manage to remain on top, well as I wrote above, no amateur has one The Open since Bobby Jones in 1930!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'm not going to say too much because I don't want to encourage anyone to find out the ending and then decide they don't need to spend the time to watch. If they have a replay where you are, or if you recorded it, go watch it. It was one of the most exciting rounds and endings I've ever seen in a major.