Premier League 2016-2017

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Bamboo Grove

Re: Premier League 2016-2017

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Ok, if the refs have started making good money, more competent ones will come into the game in the future. Another important thing is that video replays should be brought in. They have these in ice hockey and they do slower the games a bit but not that much and it's a good way to get the decisions correct.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Ok, if the refs have started making good money, more competent ones will come into the game in the future. Another important thing is that video replays should be brought in. They have these in ice hockey and they do slower the games a bit but not that much and it's a good way to get the decisions correct.
I think there's more to it than competence. I think there are bigger issues surrounding the PGMB. Why for example, did Howard Webb quit after a few months after ending his career early to help in the development of referees? There are big issues to be sorted out.

I agree 100% about video replays. Too many errors are being made for it to be ignored for much longer. I've just watched Man U's 2nd goal against West Ham and it beggars belief it wasn't ruled out for offside.
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

But how to give Mike Dean a decent retirement pay and tell him, he's refereed his last match?
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Another shocking refereeing display last night and I'm a United fan.
Mike Dean should have been red carded,not the West Ham player,for an appalling performance that mirrored that of Lee Mason on Saturday.
Ibrahimovic's goal was offside but its another win for Jose's men !

Incidentally,some players in League 2 and the Conference are on less than 20k GBP per year,much less than some of these pampered,egotistical referees !
That said,one ref in the EPL who has impressed me is Robert Madley who took charge of the Boro v Leicester match last night (boring match,btw).
He communicates well with the players and explains his decisions......one of the few.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Anyways, I'm happy a certain M. Riley is not blowing his whistle any more. Remember him?
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Yes,I do....."Old Mother Riley" as he was called ! :D
But "Rowan" Martin Atkinson is still around........ :(
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Ok, if the refs have started making good money, more competent ones will come into the game in the future. Another important thing is that video replays should be brought in. They have these in ice hockey and they do slower the games a bit but not that much and it's a good way to get the decisions correct.

youre right,and I wouldnt mind if the game was 15 min. longer,so they could punish these diving bastard and pussies that think they play chess and not a contact sport

:cheers: :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bamboo Grove wrote:Anyways, I'm happy a certain M. Riley is not blowing his whistle any more. Remember him?
Sadly, Mike Riley hasn't gone away. He's a big part of the problem.

Mike Riley was appointed manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOB) in June 2009, replacing Keith Hackett. This effectively ended his career in refereeing matches.

(From wiki)
Talk is cheap
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Happy Days at last stuffed them!!

Hugo Lloris 7 – Chelsea didn’t test the Frenchman much during the game, but he remained composed throughout. Dealt with any crosses and passed the ball out from the back with pure arrogance.

Eric Dier 8 – Played in a back three and showed the supporters the quality he can bring to the team regardless of what role he is playing. Very underrated.

Toby Alderweireld 8 – Another top quality performance from the Belgian who led the back three brilliantly. He kept the dangerous Diego Costa quiet throughout the match.
Jan Vertonghen 8 – Arguably the best player on the pitch in the first half, from his passing to intercepting, a high-quality display from the 29-year-old. Dealt with difficult crosses, in particular, when the away side were trying to push for a goal with the score at 2-0.

Kyle Walker 8 – The England international caused numerous problems on the flanks for Antonio Conte’s side. His pace and power, in particular, was too good for Marcus Alonso.

Moussa Dembele 7 – Made a brilliant run in the first half, but had a quiet affair after the break. Along with Wanyama, he produced a brilliant wall for the back three.

Victor Wanyama 9 – The midfield powerhouse was the best player on the pitch as he produced a defensive masterclass. Wanyama kept Eden Hazard quiet throughout the match as he intercepted almost every dangerous attacking play from the away side.

Danny Rose 8 – Just like Walker, he was a constant threat on the left-hand side, in particular during the first period. Rose was fouled numerous times, which proved the difficulty his opponents were having against him.

Christian Eriksen 9 – Another quality display on the ball from Eriksen, who produced two pieces of magic. The quality of crosses he delivered for both goals were worthy of winning the game.

Dele Alli 9 – Chelsea could not live with his movement as proven during his two well-taken headed goals. He had a quiet opening period but was in the right place at the right time to delightfully guide Eriksen’s cross pass the diving Thibaut Courtois. He was once again in the thick of the action as he doubled his side’s lead after the break.

Harry Kane 6 – The England international had a quiet game, but still produced a typical workmanlike performance.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I thought the deciding factor in the game was the goal just before half-time. Credit Alli for his movement, but it was shocking defending. Up until then it was very tight and could easily have gone either way.

The daft thing is that we looked to be playing at a different pace at the start of the 2nd half in a positive way, until another Alli / crap defence scenario, almost being a repeat of the first goal.

So for Conte, much food for thought, not least in how the goals were conceded. I was also surprised Pedro was reintroduced in front of Willian and I thought he looked the lightweight on the pitch, in every respect. Play Willian for 70 then replace, that's when he's at his best, he rarely makes a great impact as a sub.

I thought Costa played well, full of running and energy and testing Spurs quite often, but of course, he wasn't getting the ball where he could do real damage, bar one shot, which he blasted over.

Hazard was a disappointment, but he's entitled to that from time to time. I'm willing to bet he won't be involved in the FA Cup game at all to give him a complete rest. He's one of the most fouled players in the league and normally just shrugs the whacks off, but cumulatively, they will have an effect and I thought he looked jaded last night.

So with Willian not there and Pedro and Hazard largely missing in action, we needed the passing skills of Fabregas and for me, he was introduced too late to have any real impact. Kante and Matic can deliver, but against the top teams their role has to be different.

But I have every confidence Conte will work on what happened last night to overcome it. He seemed very thoughtful.

So full credit to the Spuds, but it's good it's an FA cup game this weekend and I'm confident we'll regroup and come again. We are still in a very strong position.

As for the ref, largely okay, bar missing the late challenge by Rose on Moses in Chelseas penalty area, which he was obviously told about by one of the officials, as he then went to speak to Rose, but it should have been a yellow and then missing the foul on Moses just outside the Spuds penalty area. He was somewhat myopic in both incidents.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Premier League festive fixtures 2017-18: Six games in 17 days next Christmas

Seems a bit of a mess.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38497382
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Not the PL I know but, this week I watched highlights of Man U v West Ham in 1967, Man U included Charlton, Best, Kidd and Stepney, WHU had Moore, Hurst, Peters and Harry Redknap. Seemed a completely different game to today`s matches. Muddy pitches, tackling from behind,much slower with a lot of time dwelling on the ball, and goals celebrated with a manly handshake and pat on the back, none of this sliding across the pitch followed by a mass pile up of bodies. Best was described as a genius but it seemed to me that most PL sides have a "George Best" in their lineup. I doubt whether teams of old could cope with the modern game. Man U won 5 2
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Watford up by 2 over Arsenal at 27 minutes. :( The world is unbalanced yet again. Let's see what happens......Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

A shocker by Arsenal and not so great by The Spuds either.
Chelsea will be happy with a point and,at least,Liverpool didn't lose 4 home games in 10 days ! :rasta:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Chelsea fans are happy, but would have been happier still if Costa had put away the penalty!
Talk is cheap